Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

How Often

Paul

Do you try something new in a match or promo?

My match this week against Chris Care I tried to add a blown spot or two to make it more 'realistic' in a pro wrestling sense.
Example one of Cares kicks catching Sickness and swelling his eye...happens to the best out there. That in turn made Sickness struggle to climb the turnbuckle as he only had one eye he could use (and so got a 'You ****ed up' chant).

But have you tried new things? A new style, maybe a new spot or a new way of adding commentary.

DC

I try to incorporate a new way of describing how a certain move is applied or performed. But I always try and find a way to get Paul Heyman to mention ECW.

I also try and find a way to make it more of a "televisual" experience, describing where the cameras are, or, like in the match today, having Chimmel waiting for his cue.

Last edited:

Red05

I don't, but currently i'm still a newb so im sticking to what I know.

Once what you know becomes second nature almost in terms of writing, I think its good to go for something different. :)

The B-Man

Yeah i have done the blown spot before. It depends, maybe every couple of months I will throw something a little different than normal.

MrFill

I used to like changing up my style whenever I liked something that someone else did, I'd incorporate part of it into my writing.

I occasionally do blown spots, but usually there's a "reason" for them in the match.

Anime Otaku

I've not tried anything new on account on only being in the fed less than a month but there is something I discussed with Twiggie when I was creating JDZ's profile. :)

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
IMO, I wouldn;t put a blown spot in a e-fed match. Given that it's all scripted in every detail nothing should go wrong (unless Iagans in it, ;) I kid I kid!) I wouldn;t want my wrestler to mess anything up so I wouldn't write him doing so.

I like to try and add good things I see from other people. i love Jacey and Chris Care's funny promo's so every now and again I try to think up something like that (see my rather poor MSND promo from last week!). I love the intensity of Twiggie's matches so always try to bring that feeling to my writing. Plus Boyo describes things in a very entertaing and interesting way which makes his matches enjoybale to read so thats another thing I'd try and pick up.

You should always try and write in a way that "feels" right for you. Don't try and write like Evil Gringo if you're not the sort of person who can describe in ring action in that kind of detail. (it is something to aspire to!)

Paul

IMO, I wouldn;t put a blown spot in a e-fed match. Given that it's all scripted in every detail nothing should go wrong (unless Iagans in it, ;) I kid I kid!) I wouldn;t want my wrestler to mess anything up so I wouldn't write him doing so.

However I aimed for realism, and pretty much every wrestler ever on the road has made a mistake. Heck, every WWE match is scripted isnt it. :lol:

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
of course, but whilst Vince belives he's God it doesn't actually mean he can stop accidents from happening but we can so why wouldn't we? there's plenty that goes on inline that just wouldn't be possible in reality....

Boyo

I always try to have the commentators start a mini-conversation midway through the match, and not have them call any action at all. Boyo and Winter could be trading a few basic moves and instead of just listing them out and having Styles call each one (as that's boring), I'd have Styles and Heyman talk about BBQ's or something.

When Winter nails Boyo with one of his sig moves then, as in real life, they start calling the match again.

I haven't had the nerve to try the "Fans in the UK, we have some major tour news..." pre-recorded promo yet though :lol:.

Cheers!

Jaycey Baby

I like to add some venue-specific detail. For example, for my match at Old Trafford versus FBF, I had the sportsmanlike Flynn come out in a Keane shirt and the crowd singing Man United chants. A match in LA against Evil Gringo was the perfect opportunity to rip on Hispanics. And JB being gay, he was in hog's heaven in San Fran. I was really disappointed I didn't have 'net access for the PPV match, as I couldn't check out where MSND was being held or view Jaxx's profile, so I was writing blind.

The other thing I always try to do is make my opponent's personality come out in my matches, rather than just his moveset, and how he/she would respond to confronting a flamboyant character like Jaycey.

DC

I always try to have the commentators start a mini-conversation midway through the match, and not have them call any action at all. Boyo and Winter could be trading a few basic moves and instead of just listing them out and having Styles call each one (as that's boring), I'd have Styles and Heyman talk about BBQ's or something.

When Winter nails Boyo with one of his sig moves then, as in real life, they start calling the match again.

I haven't had the nerve to try the "Fans in the UK, we have some major tour news..." pre-recorded promo yet though :lol:.

Cheers!
I usually try and get Heyman to crowbar in an ECW reference or two, and have Joey comment on his inability to resist. Also, I always have Heyman scream for a Gore!, even when he doesn't want to.

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Recently I've changed my style from mat based build up at the start to target an area that will go to a finish to allowing outside events, past events and a more sports entertainment style enter the matches I write...

This means maybe the limb or area will come into play... maybe it will shape future spots or maybe the approach won't work and is a complete non-factor in the finish...

I also throw in the odd new spot or move for my character that isn't on his move list in a big match as that is part of the Sensation vibe, like the tope rope Falcon Arrow at MSNoD.