Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

How Has It Gotten Better?

Ratings
From the 1980's to today, what is the best thing to happen to entertainment in general? From games to movies. Is it the clarity of moving pictures? Is it the story lines? Is it the ease of access? Is it the amount of choices?

Ratings
I think it's all of these choices. Personally I think most of the storylines in today's entertainment leave a lot to be desired, but some of them are really good and interesting. I definitely think that the ease of access is one of the best things. You can take your entertainment with you almost anywhere, and everything can be pretty much customized, no more listening to a whole lot of songs that you don't want to hear via radio or CD (unless you want to go through that). When you're in the mood for a movie you can instantly order almost any movie you can think of via YouTube, or watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. As far as games go, they're more realistic than ever which makes it a great time to be a gamer. Modern technology is amazing.

Ratings
You gotta pick one , man. C'mon. :)

Personally, I think it's the quality of the visuals. The graphics. Storylines simply change with the times and I think that the more options people have in regards to how they watch things, the more distracted they can become with other parts of life. Take Avatar for example. The storyline was good, but the graphics were great. That was the biggest selling point for me about that movie.

Ratings
The quality of visuals has gone up but I don't know if I would say it's the best thing to happen to entertainment. Because of these advancements, many films are just recreating classics that don't really need to be recreated instead of coming up with something original. Films also tend to rely on them far too much.

The ease of access is something that I think has helped a lot of consumers but I don't think it's helped the industry as this has also led to people being able to access these films for free. Film costs certainly haven't come down, but their profits are because of it.

I will go with storylines. For films, we've had some clever films that have introduced more nuanced characters or have chosen to give perspectives of old stories that are unexpected (like seeing an old story from the villain's perspective). I think this is more true for games though. Games didn't really have much of a storyline back in the day, did they?