• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

House Rules For Visitors

Ratings
We recently had a birthday party for one of my children last week. It was a small party for family members, and there were only 10 people so we see what each of us was doing. I was disappointed when the two of the siblings of my wife started playing games on their smartphones. We don't let our kids play video games when we are eating, but these visitors who don't know that rule have made our little kids question us saying: "why can't we play when they can play?" Any suggestions on how to tell visitors to our house rules so this won't happen again?

Ratings
This is definitely a difficult subject. I don't have children but I can relate a little bit. When I have friends over, they also like to be on their phones, even when we are eating together. To me this is very rude but I guess I can't control them. And if it is someone else's kids, this is even more difficult! Do you think their parents will understand when you tell them? Or is there a way you could tell your kids that this is just how other parents raise their children?

Zack T

Ratings
115 1
Tell them you'd prefer them not to be on their phones while you're all eating, as your kids aren't allowed to be and you want rules to remain consistent regardless of the occasion.

That way it sounds less like you think they're obnoxious, and more like you're just trying to enforce your normal rules on the kids.

Ratings
Tell them you'd prefer them not to be on their phones while you're all eating, as your kids aren't allowed to be and you want rules to remain consistent regardless of the occasion.

That way it sounds less like you think they're obnoxious, and more like you're just trying to enforce your normal rules on the kids.
This would be the best way to avoid the kids asking a lot of questions but wouldn't telling them seem a little bit intrusive? It is much easier for adults to be on their phones, as compared to a scenario in which it is other children playing games on smartphones.

Zack T

Ratings
115 1
I dunno. I mean if they don't want to follow the rule then you either drop it, or make a big deal out of it. I don't know the relationship dynamic to say what'll happen. But it seems reasonable to me.

Ratings
I will do this when we will have another house party. I'm just afraid that my in-laws would be offended by my request, so I did not say anything about it during the party. I've talked with my wife about this, and I'm glad that she's on my side on this issue.