Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Holidays

How long must your holiday be?

• Total voters

WAYNE

When you look at holidays, do you think you can do anything you want within a week? Or is ten nights the best? Or must you go for two whole weeks?

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Depends where I'm going. Most European cities are a busy long weekend for me, but somewhere a bit further afield would be between ten days and two weeks.

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
I hate working. Anything that gets me away the longest, so I'll go for the full two weeks.

Also, the last time I went to Germany it was for ten days, and it wasn't quite enough, and went in too fast, so again two weeks for me.

dsrchris

Am disappoint, son
Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Depends where I'm going. Most European cities are a busy long weekend for me, but somewhere a bit further afield would be between ten days and two weeks.
This. Most city breaks I can rip through in 3-4 days, but if I'm going somewhere extravagant or planning on moving around fair amount while I'm there then I'll go for longer.

I really want to spend a month to 6 weeks just aimlessly knocking around 'Merica. Can't see that happening within at least the next 12 months though.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
I would love to go ANYWHERE for more than one night right now. Going away to Ayr (Yeah, I know, feel the glamour) for me and Vicky's anniversary next week. Just the one night. Bag of shite :(

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
I'd say you could do most western European cities in a night. Get an early flight over, spend the afternoon there, sleep, spend the morning doing stuff, and a late flight home in time for dinner. I've seen a bunch of places like that out of London; Prague, Munich, Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Berlin, it's a cool way to see some of the "minor" cities like that if you're cool with rushing around doing a lot of stuff without too much sitting around.

Laffy

Wales forever!!!
I just take long weekends and one week long holiday either at Easter or August bank holiday. All based around wrestling.

FreeSpirit

I'm quite an open book when it comes to travel. I've done Hong Kong and countless US trips for 4/5 days. But it all depends on what you have planned for your hol. I would say stick to this (if you can afford it) and you can't go far wrong.

Short/Medium Haul: 1 Week
Medium/Long Haul: 2 Weeks

Inno

Subscriber
I need to go somewhere :(

I'm fed up of this house and the same 4 walls.

Bloody responsibilities :(

Maxximus

Chaotic Good
Forum Leader
Subscriber
I need to get away for a bit too. It's been a few years since I even had a proper road trip.

Man, I love long road trips. I'm good at 'em.

dsrchris

Am disappoint, son
Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Could you and the lad not travel somewhere for a couple of days? Just one of those cheap holiday deals from the newspapers or something?

EDIT: Maxx, if my US road trip daydream comes to fruition I'm totally picking you up for part of the journey at least. Seriously.

Inno

Subscriber
If me and the boy travel, his fear of change and need for routine make it a living hell... needs to be planned like a military operation. We can only really get away one night at a time.

In my ideal world, I would take a week or two and follow a map planned by Adam Richman

etz

I traveled quite a lot when I was younger, and until recently I used to do a lot of travel all over the UK and Ireland for work. The absolute last thing I want to do in my time off is travel. Plus, I hate working in December. Really, really hate it. So I take most of my leave then.

That said, and speaking of road trips, if I win serious money on the lottery, my brother and I are buying an RV and touring the States, just wandering the open road. Our nominal plan is about 18 months worth, though we both think it could easily extend to 2 years or more.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Maxx, if my US road trip daydream comes to fruition I'm totally picking you up for part of the journey at least. Seriously.
Fly to Los Angeles, go north-east, pick up Maxx in Colorado half way, meet me in New York at the end, fly home from JFK. See you next week.

Maxximus

Chaotic Good
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Could you and the lad not travel somewhere for a couple of days? Just one of those cheap holiday deals from the newspapers or something?

EDIT: Maxx, if my US road trip daydream comes to fruition I'm totally picking you up for part of the journey at least. Seriously.
Fly to Los Angeles, go north-east, pick up Maxx in Colorado half way, meet me in New York at the end, fly home from JFK. See you next week.
I'm down.

Anime Otaku

Recently it's just been a few days break in London though I'd also love to go coast to coast in the USA. Though I'd struggle to think of much to do in between unless I was around for college football season, then I'd want to hit Alabama for the Iron Bowl and a Sooners v Longhorns game.

etz

The whole point of a road trip is to wander about and find things, not to go like a manic tourist from attraction A to distraction B. Not having much an idea of what you're going to do is an integral part of the experience.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
The whole point of a road trip is to wander about and find things, not to go like a manic tourist from attraction A to distraction B. Not having much an idea of what you're going to do is an integral part of the experience.
[video=youtube;JdYas_8EDZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYas_8EDZM[/video]