Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

High Insurance Rates

TynBox

If we cannot make something illegal that we feel is detrimental to our society, should insurance companies make the rates so high that most people cannot afford the purchase of that item? People have made that argument for guns in the past.

Boomer

Jacking up insurance rates might discourage some people from buying — but wouldn't people who really want the illegal item use underground ways (dealers, the dark web) to purchase it?

Zack T

We make things illegal so that we have a concrete cause/effect system - You do the bad thing, you suffer the punishment for it. Will that stop people from doing bad things? No. But now we have legal action to take against them.

It's always puzzled me this argument that if guns are illegal, people would just buy them illegally so why bother?

Well, people still steal/kill/rape/embezzle even though it's illegal. Should we not bother with having those laws either?

But anyway, I think there's better ways to address things we don't want in society than by using insurance. That's just such a weird answer to the problem. Insurance itself is a problem anyway with poor coverage and high rates for health/dental/auto.

Classified

Well, there are people who can barely afford a car and, with the necessity of insurance to calculate in, they just don't buy a car because they can't afford the mandatory insurance.

I suppose they could do the same with guns, but with the NRA having such a stranglehold on D.C., it will never happen.

Greylien

Do marijuana dispensaries in the states where it legal have exorbitant insurance rates? I could see the federal govt. mandating insurance companies do this just to make it harder to do business.