Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Hello from Newport Road

chelsea45

Ratings
I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge about the TV and movies, so it's a great pleasure to find this place. I am also interested in visual novels these days so I may be talking about that quite much. Nice to meet you all!

Ratings
Hi-ya Chelsea45! It's nice to meet you too. I'm not familiar with visual novels - is it like a picture book, but for adults? Similar to comic books maybe? I read a lot of ebooks and miss physical books sometimes.

chelsea45

Ratings
Hi-ya Chelsea45! It's nice to meet you too. I'm not familiar with visual novels - is it like a picture book, but for adults? Similar to comic books maybe? I read a lot of ebooks and miss physical books sometimes.
Hi, Poppy! Visual novels are usually categorised as games. They are novels in that they have one or several plot lines to follow, but they are games in that readers/players can make choices to affect the story. They also feature images during some scenes. I find it a good alternative for when I am bored with the usual physical books and video games.

What kind of books do you read?

ShadowEdge

Ratings
Are those similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure type books, but geared towards adults than kids? Or are they more of an interactive fiction game like you play online? Who is your favorite author in the genre? Sorry for the questions, but I'm truly horrible at visualizing stuff. Welcome to the group!

Ratings
I can't remember the title of the visual novel I tried a while ago. The plot took too much time to kick in; I dropped it in a heartbeat when the first twist didn't impress me. Maybe I started with the wrong one, but I wasn't too hyped to check another game since then.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see a Western fan of Japanese culture. I know visual novels are less popular than the Japanese video games. Welcome to TWO!

chelsea45

Ratings
Are those similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure type books, but geared towards adults than kids? Or are they more of an interactive fiction game like you play online? Who is your favorite author in the genre? Sorry for the questions, but I'm truly horrible at visualizing stuff. Welcome to the group!
You can say that it is like playing a book from Choose Your Own Adventure on a computer. Some individual authors I remember are Takumi Nakazawa and Uchikoshi Koutarou. For groups, Type-Moon and 5pb./Nitroplus are the names I follow faithfully. They pay attention to details, creating a purpose for almost every scene and dialogue, which results in a great gaming experience.

I can't remember the title of the visual novel I tried a while ago. The plot took too much time to kick in; I dropped it in a heartbeat when the first twist didn't impress me. Maybe I started with the wrong one, but I wasn't too hyped to check another game since then.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see a Western fan of Japanese culture. I know visual novels are less popular than the Japanese video games. Welcome to TWO!
I hope you will give the visual novels another try someday. There are many great titles out there waiting to be discovered. Japanese culture is associated with the "otaku" stigma, which sometimes gives a negative impression, so I understand why it is not exactly popular outside Japan.

Welcome chelsea! :thumbup2:
Thank you!