Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Has WWE become a circus?

Mendez

I'm a big fan of the WWE, have been for quite some years now. It's not very popular here in the UK but I enjoy watching. I feel like it's become so popular over the past years that it's become more of a circus. The arenas are getting bigger and they are trying harder to lure in more fans by making strange decisions. Do you still like the WWE? American fans: do you feel like it's become a circus for the masses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
they are trying harder to lure in more fans by making strange decisions.
What kind of strange decisions?

They've definitely done more stadium shows - but if fans are going to pay for tickets, why not. 2018 must be one of their biggest years ever with the number of big events they held this year. The only worry for me around that is that it can feel like WWE are diluting their storylines as they have so much programming every week in addition to these big events, feuds seem to be dragging on month after month.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the circus comment - it's always been a little OTT/larger than life, if anything, the Superstars/characters are more subdued now than previous years.

ShadowEdge

@Mendez Well, we love a circus. Watch any reality show that originated in the UK before coming to the US and you'll see a big difference in the drama and attitude.

I've noticed some strange storylines such as having Asuka wrestle James Ellsworth and felt the idea fell flat. Superfan Izzy, who was 12 years old at the time, took part in a different match and that was a bad idea too. One of the WWE's strangest moves is pushing Roman Reigns on us as this big hero when most of the fans aren't fond of him. None of these are necessarily circus material though. I think social media forces them to rein it in.

I say WWE is better than a circus. They don't need animals, clowns, or flying trapezes for the fans to enjoy the show. I love watching WWE because of the wrestlers' performances. It is not easy to portray violence in a live audience while making sure that your opponent is not harmed by your performance.

BamBamsGurlMoo

I think it’s definitely not as OTT as it was during the Attitude Era. Also being from outside of America I’m happy that there is more big venue events. About time we got a chance to see a mini Mania in our own countries

Ogmore

I think it’s definitely not as OTT as it was during the Attitude Era. Also being from outside of America I’m happy that there is more big venue events. About time we got a chance to see a mini Mania in our own countries
Yes! The Attitude Era was more of a circus. I miss it really.

Is there not a professional wrestling group of Australians that are televised there? I was under that impression from a uni mate, but maybe I just misunderstood him.

BamBamsGurlMoo

Yes! The Attitude Era was more of a circus. I miss it really.

Is there not a professional wrestling group of Australians that are televised there? I was under that impression from a uni mate, but maybe I just misunderstood him.
Not that I know of

Meerkat

I never thought of WWE as a circus even though I consider the wrestlers as actors. People who don't follow the show might think of this as a circus because there were some instances when a small guy will beat a big guy like the match between Rey and Khali.