Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Half Life 2... what happened?

Simon

Ok so at Christmas I got Half Life 2, and completed it before leaving the country again, and I have to say it was absolutely brilliant, I appreciate completely how they didn't stray too far from the winning formula, whilst completely improving the game in a number of ways (ok so there could have been a couple of extra levels and it could have been a teensy bit longer but it was otherwise fine).

One thing that has been killing me however is the fact that almost NOTHING is explained in the game. It's like watching Matrix Reloaded (where you see these wierd white twins and **** like that and theres no explanation as to who they are/where they come from/how they exist) or Matrix Revolutions (which generally just leaves you saying "what the **** just happened there?")....

Ok so there are these "combine" dudes, who won the "7 hours war" and seemingly control the Earth, but are they from the Xen planet where all the alien thingys came from in Half Life? And how come the aliens don't teleport anymore like they did in the original Half Life? AND WHY THE HELL ARE THE ALIEN GRUNTS FROM HALF LIFE ONE NOW YOUR FRIENDS?

Someone, please, enlighten me as to what on earth happened... logical theorys or actual knowledge please... since I have no idea what to think. In my mind all I can think of is, ok, maybe its not the aliens from Xen who've taken over, but still... what the hell is going on in Half Life 2? It makes sense that the Xen guys spread throughout Earth, but even then, you don't know if they did since its just Barnacles and Headcrabs who seem to have made it to Half Life 2.

I mean come on, ok, you want to leave us wanting a sequel but its SO dissatisfying to not have a clue what is going on in the slightest. Apologies if this seems pointless to ask but it really does get on my tits that I just played a game, got really into it, and had no idea what was going on. As a man who likes his game plots, I say bleh.

Simon

Noooooooooooooo.

No replies = 1) I got into Half Life a bit too much or 2) Nobody else has a clue.

I suppose I'll just have to do what I'm doing with Metal Gear Solid 3 and wait another bloody 5 years before I find out :(

Feenix

You didn't get any replies because pretty much nobody here plays HL2. Except me.

You really don't get told a lot about the plot in HL2. They drop a lot of hints and give a lot of clues but not much is exlpained. All sorts of theorys are going round... I'll say this, the game makers didn't really think about the story, it meant nothing to them. All they cared about was making the most technologically advanced game ever. They haven't thought up a proper story yet, they'll explain everything in the next game... or possibly the game after.

What we do know is this... after the incident at Black Mesa, Earth was busy taking care of the alien threat. We think the combine are an alien race that saw this an oppertunity to take over Earth. However that doesn't explain why they want to keep us alive. So another theory (which I prefer) is that the combine are humans which have been "altered" somehow by the aliens from Xen. And now act as a go-between with Xen and the humans.

What we know for absolutely sure is, due to the alien invasion, the world was split up into numbered cities. In the game you play through city 17. These cities are highly-quarrentined areas to stop the aliens getting in and killing the humans. (you may have noticed in the game, there were only combine in the main city, you only fight the aliens out in the outskirts, where it is unprotected.) How and why Gordon is sent to City 17 is a different story entirely. We dont know why.

We think the alien grunts from HL1 turned good in HL2 because they were the only aliens intelligent enough to see what the combine was doing to the humans, and take their side. (explains why you only fight Headcrabs and Barnacles in HL2)... well, that or Valve couldn't be bothered writing AI routines for these aliens. The AI in the game was the weakest part. So this may have something to do with it.

What I would say is, play the game again, listen carefully to anything anyone says and most of all have a good look around Kleiner's lab and Eli's lab because there are things in there that give away clues.

Good luck trying to figure it out... because it really doesn't make any sense at all at the moment.

Simon

Yay. Another HL2 player, I was getting worried you know.

Thing is, I dont think it is the Xen aliens... I mean theres the bit where you see them using one of the Vortigrunts as a battery, sucking the electricity out of it or something, which suggests to me that the first idea, that the Combine just came along when they saw an opportunity, is more probable.

Also theres the bit when your in the citadel, and you pass the odd looking white alien people... I reckon thats the little ****ers there who're not from Xen, and that I dunno, they do something with the humans to produce Civil Protection etc. Without getting too indepth, nothing about the Combine gives off a Xen feel at all. So my guess is that they were fighting Xen, along came the Combine who kicked the Earth's ass and then closed the Xen portal at some stage.

It really wouldn't have hurt them to at least explain a bit more, I ended up getting so bloody frustrated the longer I played and the longer I had no idea what was going on. It's just lazyness if they couldnt be bothered with it, the storyline in a game like Half Life is just as important as the gameplay.

I'll need to play it again whenever I get the chance, its a bit long tho so dunno if I can be arsed at the moment. But halelujah anyway for another HL2 person.