Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Gun Control

Ratings
In light of all the recent school shootings, how do you feel about added gun control? There are several schools of thought out there. Some say more control is needed and others say it won't do any good. It's not the guns that are at fault. It's the person behind the gun. How do you feel?

Ratings
I wholeheartedly support more gun control. I strongly believe that automatic riffles should only be available for military purposes. I also think there should be a longer waiting period and more extensive background checks before someone is allowed to purchase a gun but I don't feel as strongly about it. I understand that others disagree and respect those opinions.

Where do you stand on the issue, Queenie?

Ratings
I stand with the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms. I am of the opinion that a person who wants to obtain a gun illegally will obtain one. As far as caliber and kind of gun, I also believe a person could find anything they want. The Black Market, gun running and smugglers have been around for a long time.

Ratings
I agree with you that criminals can find any weapon or make any weapon they choose to, but I think having to source things that way makes it more difficult for them and any obstacle helps. I don't think most criminals are going to make that effort, have access to that specialized knowledge, or even have the funds necessary to obtain those black market goods - especially not school aged kids who are usually the perpetrators of school shootings. I can see your point of view though!

Ratings
I'm a supporter of the second amendment and think people should be allowed to own and buy guns without any hassle. However, I do wish they'd do away with automatic assault rifles. I don't think it will happen since there is too much money involved. Is gun ownership more common in the United States? It sure feels like it is.

Last edited:
Ratings
I don't know the ins and outs of American politics so I don't feel like I'm qualified to give an extensive opinion on gun control there in general, but I do think they should do away with automatic assault rifles. They seem exceptionally unnecessary. I have yet to read a story about a common citizen with an automatic rifle using it for good.

Zack T

Ratings
44 1
My main issue with people saying that if we outlaw guns, criminals will still get them is this - Why do we bother outlawing Cocaine then? Addicts will still find a way to get it if they really want it...

The answer, I think, is because it makes it much more difficult to obtain and it also provides a much clearer framework to properly punish someone after the fact.

I'm of the opinion that we need some more common sense gun control, but not a whole lot more. I think completely doing away with automatic/semi automatic weapons and modifications that allow non-auto weapons to function similarly to them is a good start, as well as standardizing background checks across all 50 states and for gun sales done online.

I'd also add in mandatory gun safety training courses for the first time you buy any type of gun, as well as periodic re-do's of the course every...2 years or so, and require you to also have proper storage. There's too many stupid accidents happening where kids get a hold of guns and accidentally shoot each other or their parents or even they get mad and shoot each other on purpose cause they're kids and they don't know any better, but they know where their parent's gun is.

I think having a firearm license would be wise as well. It'd be available for anyone 18+ who hasn't had pled/been found guilty of a violent offense. The whole purpose would simply be to say "Yes I own guns legally, here is my full name, DOB, current address/phone number" as well as gives you an ID number that vendors can attach to the guns they sell you, so that there is a database that says which weapons you own legally. It is your responsibility to keep your address/phone number updated or else you may be fined if something comes up, as well as to report any missing weapons.

I'd be open to allowing more concealed or open carry, maybe make that a widespread law everywhere - obviously just require a class for proper safety handling if you do that (I'm sure most do, I just mean a standardized class)

But really the issues go beyond that. I think those are common sense laws that don't impede on people's freedom to own the guns, but everyone gets caught up in it being a constitutional right, nay a GOD GIVEN FREEDOM to protect themselves and their families. I wholly agree, you have that right and guns are an effective tool to use to that end - However, I've talked to people who's main argument for no gun control is "Have you ever fired an AK-47? It's freakin awesome" and it's like...ok really? Your awesome experience is worth more than trying to protect people's lives?

We're NEVER going to outlaw guns in this country, and anyone who tries to scare people into thinking that "the government is coming for your guns" is bs'ing you.

We would also need to strengthen our measures for tracking firearms, as well as our mental health providing in this country. The bureau of Alcohol/Tobacco/Firearms/Explosives isn't even allowed to maintain a list of firearms, so they're pretty much crippled at attempting to identify who may have owned the gun, where it originated from, piecing together information to try to figure out how it got in the hands of whoever had it.

And we also need better preventative mental health, access to it, try to remove the stigma around mental health being only for the weak or truly mentally disturbed, that people can just "Get over it" if they put their mind to it. One crucial aspect of this would be children's health, getting to kids before they go so far down a dark road that they shoot their schools or grow into disturbed adults who lash out at society.

Those are just some thoughts...but it's so hard to have that type of discussion because it's such a charged issue. The moment you bring up gun control, gun supporters go red and immediately think you're trying to take their guns - And it doesn't help pro-gun control people when they try to make the opposing side sound like heartless jerks who care more about their guns than about children being shot.

In the end, I think it all comes down to money. There's way too much money to ever outlaw guns, and really, while guns are a tool explicitly made for killing something, they're not the problem - people who use them are. Yes, we can institute more laws and measures to make it harder to execute that kind of violence, but ultimately we have to focus on helping people before they do something crazy to really curb that violence.

Ratings
I'm pro gun and strongly support the 2nd Amendment. Politicians can make all the laws they want but all they'll do is get law abiding citizens angry at them while creating a situation where the bad guys will still get the guns they want. Also, if guns are banned, then criminals will figure out some other way to hurt innocent people.

Zack T

Ratings
44 1
I agree with you on some points, but I don't agree with this mentality of "Well they're gonna find a way to get guns/hurt people so why even try". I mean if that's your rationale, then why even bother having laws in the first place?

Ratings
My point wasn't about not having laws. It's that lawmakers can create as many laws as they want and the bad guys will always ignore them and do what they want, as long as they can get away with it. Doesn't matter if it's gun laws or any other law. Murder is illegal but that still happens. Theft is illegal and that happens. Evil will exist with or without guns.

Zack T

Ratings
44 1
Yea, no doubt. While the ultimate goal of completely eradicating crime is practically impossible, the point of laws is to try to reduce the criminal activity and to add to the punishment for those who still engage in the behavior. I don't think taking away everyone's guns is the right answer and most people on the more liberal side of things don't think so either (Of course there's nuts on the liberal side, just like there's nuts on the conservative side). I just think there's steps we can take to try to address the problem productively, rather than just wringing our hands and saying "Well evil's gonna exist, sucks but what can ya do?"

Ratings
@Zack T I think we agree more than we disagree. Not to digress too much from this thread but guns are not the problem. It's how to deal with bad and evil people. Look at London. They have strict gun laws so what have the bad guys done, they've started using knives. A couple of weeks ago, the mayor of London announced a ban on carrying knives. Look at the people who used vehicles to run down and kill people. Will there be a ban on vehicles next? I'm not sure what the answer is because as long as there are people, there will be evil.

Zack T

Ratings
44 1
Yea, we agree that an outright ban isn't the right way to go. I also think it's rather silly to try to ban knives because that's a real complicated thing to enforce, it just doesn't make any practical sense.

That being said, the fact that their gun control forced criminals to change their tactics and use a different weapon that doesn't have the same mass-killing potential that a gun does kind've deflates your argument. Of course if people want to do harm, they're gonna find a way - But I think it's easier to fight and deal with someone using a knife, rather than someone who has a weapon capable of killing multiple people in mere seconds at a distance.

Evie

Ratings
Look at the people who used vehicles to run down and kill people. Will there be a ban on vehicles next?
I think that's incredibly hyperbolic. Airplanes were used to kill many people during the September 11th attacks and no one was calling for a ban on airplanes. Instead, they tightened up security significantly. That's what we're supposed to do when there's a problem - find a solution that works for the given situation. Most of the time this involves a trial and error process.