Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Future of the Tag Division

Ratings
So I have always been a bit of a sucker for a GOOD tag match. However they have been rather few and far between for quite some time now. Nevertheless I have seem some inclinations that the WWE is trying to at least build a few strong tag teams again. (MNM, toying with the hardyz, DX, etc) Do you think the trend will continue or that it is a fluke that they let it go this far?

Ratings
I don't think it is that strong actually, MNM at the last reports were not getting abck together nor are the Hardyz, however Vinc eis always chaning his mind apparently on it.

DX pretty much killed the tag devision on Raw and now of curse they are gone thanks to HHH's injury.

Londrick are the best tag team WWE has, and there has been teasing that they will split over the last months, Regal and Taylor although good are getting on in age so are not a good long term investment as a solid tag team

I don't think there is any sort of rejuvination of the Tag devision and can't see one comming

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
Ratings
65 1 4
They are weak cause they haven't been pushed hard over the last few years with the exception of rated rko.

They need a 1/2 more tag teams on both rosters.
The untouchables looking likely to debut on smackdown very soon.

But I honestly feel if they push the likes of Cade/Murdoch, worlds greatest tag team, KC James and Idol Stevens then there's no need to call in more tag team talent :thumbup2:

Iceman03

Ratings
I actually think they Tag-Team Division is very weak now, just like always. Ever since they got rid of the Dudley Boyz it's got even worse, somehow, lol. Still don't know why they got rid of them back then, but that's TNA gain.

DC

Ratings
539 2
I actually think they Tag-Team Division is very weak now, just like always. Ever since they got rid of the Dudley Boyz it's got even worse, somehow, lol. Still don't know why they got rid of them back then, but that's TNA gain.
The tag division hasn't always been weak. Especially in the mid-to-late 80's. Also,the TLC era and the "Smackdown Six" era was a great period for tag-team action in the WWF/WWE.

Iceman03

Ratings
The tag division hasn't always been weak. Especially in the mid-to-late 80's. Also,the TLC era and the "Smackdown Six" era was a great period for tag-team action in the WWF/WWE.
Lol, of course not in the mid to late 80s, but I didn't think we were talking about 20 years ago? Each decade you have to admitt (or simply every year), it gets worse, and the last 3-4 years, have been pretty bad I think.

Ratings
The TLC era was fantastic...It won't be as great as that again for a long long time, which is a shame as I've always had a soft spot for tags.

I like the idea of a good strong female tag team developing. Mickie and Victoria could be great together. Obviously not now cause they're feuding and I would say Melina and Victoria but M isn't as talented and Mickie is. Mickie is really doing well at the moment. If they can just bung in a few more strong technical ladies then it could be great!...or at least mildly entertaining.

Mister LJ

Ratings
I think Regal should be world champion or atleast kicking Batista's ass weekly. He's easily one of the best wrestlers in the world. It's also a stupid idea to split up London and Kendrick. So far they've been the most exciting team in WWE in a long time.

Ratings
I think one of the main reasons that the division is so weak, is becasue the belt has little credibility anymore. It seems like the WWE especially will throw two people together, give them a few matches just to make sure they don't totally botch the them, and then throw them the belt. I think that they first off need to establish some solid teams. RKO is a good start, but who knows how much longer that will last. They need to have the belt at least until another team can be established and get a fan base behind them. Then it could switch hands.

Ratings
Oh please! There hasnt been a decent tag team division in the WWE since the Dudley Boyz was there. Granted it was nice to see The Hardy Boyz & DX back together for a hot second. But other than that there hasnt been any true tag teams on the WWE roster for a very long time.

I remember back in the glory days when the WWE was stacked with tag teams:The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, The Powers of Pain, The Brain Busters, Demoltion, The Killer Bees, Volkoff & Shiek, The Rockers, Edge & Christian,Money Inc., The Nasty Boys, The Steiner Bros.,The Legion Of Doom(The greatest of all time);etc.

Now the best team the WWE has to offer is Kindrick and London? Gimme a break. I rather watch tag teams in TNA. The only way IMO that the future of the tag team division has a chance in hell of surviving is to broaden their horizons a bit.

Have an open door policy. Have open contracts for any tag team from OVW, TNA/NWA, New Mexico, New Japan,ROH,and anywhere else around the globe. Any tag teams that want to compete for the WWE for a minimum of at least one month. If the team goes over with the fans then the WWE has the option to approach them with a long term contract.

If they dont then send them on their way with no hard feelings. The WWE way of wrestling is pretty predictable and pretty lame at times. Especially in the tag team division. Not only does the WWE needs alot of tag teams but they need alot of good bonafided tag teams. Simply putting two blokes together to form a team isnt good enough.:rolleyes2:

Mister LJ

Ratings
Oh please! There hasnt been a decent tag team division in the WWE since the Dudley Boyz was there. Granted it was nice to see The Hardy Boyz & DX back together for a hot second. But other than that there hasnt been any true tag teams on the WWE roster for a very long time.

I remember back in the glory days when the WWE was stacked with tag teams:The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, The Powers of Pain, The Brain Busters, Demoltion, The Killer Bees, Volkoff & Shiek, The Rockers, Edge & Christian,Money Inc., The Nasty Boys, The Steiner Bros.,The Legion Of Doom(The greatest of all time);etc.

Now the best team the WWE has to offer is Kindrick and London? Gimme a break. I rather watch tag teams in TNA. The only way IMO that the future of the tag team division has a chance in hell of surviving is to broaden their horizons a bit.

Have an open door policy. Have open contracts for any tag team from OVW, TNA/NWA, New Mexico, New Japan,ROH,and anywhere else around the globe. Any tag teams that want to compete for the WWE for a minimum of at least one month. If the team goes over with the fans then the WWE has the option to approach them with a long term contract.

If they dont then send them on their way with no hard feelings. The WWE way of wrestling is pretty predictable and pretty lame at times. Especially in the tag team division. Not only does the WWE needs alot of tag teams but they need alot of good bonafided tag teams. Simply putting two blokes together to form a team isnt good enough.:rolleyes2:
London & Kendrick are just as good as the teams above. They might possibly be even better than the teams mentioned. I've watched TNA teams and none of them touch L & K in the ring.

CoTT

Ratings
I agree. London and Kendrick are a great team. Problem is, they haven't had many great teams to feud against. Taylor and Regal are reasonable but won't set the world on fire. MNM and the Hardy Boyz are being separated soon apparently. Jamie Noble and Kid Kash could have been a decent team but they were never given a chance to shine. There's definitely potential in the tag team division, mainly on SD!, but I just don't see the bookers focusing on it much.

Mister LJ

Ratings
I would've kept the Mexicools together. Stevie & Nova should join up again as well. WWE let go of Mamaluke so i don't guess FBI will reform anytime soon. However, they could always use Vito to fill in for Mamaluke. He's not really doing anything right now. Cade & Murdoch need to be on TV more! I can't believe WWE released the Bashams. Sadly, i hope La Resistance does come back soon!

musha

Ratings
I don't think it is that strong actually, MNM at the last reports were not getting abck together nor are the Hardyz, however Vinc eis always chaning his mind apparently on it.

DX pretty much killed the tag devision on Raw and now of curse they are gone thanks to HHH's injury.

Londrick are the best tag team WWE has, and there has been teasing that they will split over the last months, Regal and Taylor although good are getting on in age so are not a good long term investment as a solid tag team

I don't think there is any sort of rejuvination of the Tag devision and can't see one comming

I think your wrong i mean crime time while having a cheesy gimmick is very talented and have cleanly impressed me. regal and taylor would be a great short term champs until deuce and domino get some matches under there belt not to mention any tag teams that are on the verge of wwe debuts and never forget that the worlds greatest tag team has reunitedand are still very young.

MojoPogo

Ratings
The way i see it, is a lot of tag teams these days are formed to try and get a couple of up and comers or newbies over, ie Burke/Terkay, The Hearthrobs, that kind of thing, but if someone backstage decides they cant seem them as breakout single stars, they then lose interest in them as team, and more than not, (see the examples provided) they then get released. This helps noone in my view. The creative team arent investing enough time in getting gimmicks properly over before losing interest, obvious, maybe, and also a charge that could be levelled at the singles division also, but not to the same extent.

Ratings
The way i see it, is a lot of tag teams these days are formed to try and get a couple of up and comers or newbies over, ie Burke/Terkay, The Hearthrobs, that kind of thing, but if someone backstage decides they cant seem them as breakout single stars, they then lose interest in them as team, and more than not, (see the examples provided) they then get released. This helps noone in my view. The creative team arent investing enough time in getting gimmicks properly over before losing interest, obvious, maybe, and also a charge that could be levelled at the singles division also, but not to the same extent.
I sort of agree with you in that some of the WWE's recent attempts at tag teams have been random pairings of two individuals (my favorite has to be Haas and Viscera) rather than a true team, like the Hardyz or E & C or the Hart Foundation. Creative's attention span is minimal: they seem to have one team that can be over for a while (MNM and Londrick are the two that I can think of), but other teams are just sort of thrown together, pushed way too quickly and then buried, or get broken up far too soon.

As much as I loved the late 90s/TLC/E&C vs. The Hardyz vs. Dudleyz period (my favorite wrestling shirt of all time is my yellow E & C shirt), I think WWE kind of shot itself in the foot by not developing many (I would say any, but I'm sure there are some that I'm not thinking of) tag teams to join the ranks of the tag team elite and eventually take over when those three teams split up, left the company, or went onto become single stars. Since there weren't any of those transition tag teams to help build up teams like MNM and London-Kendrick (the only two tag teams who even sort of remind me of that great tag team era, especially MNM) into becoming elite teams themselves, MNM and Londrick don't seem as impressive as they easily could be if they had the proper competition. It's hard for fans to get behind a tag team that beats jobbers and random teams for a few weeks/months and then suddenly is the tag team champions.

That's why I think you see the periodic reunion of the Hardy Boyz, to maybe help MNM be seen as the elite tag team that they already are (of course, this assumes that both teams are being built to stay together for at least some period of time, which sounds like it may not be true). By having some great matches with the Hardyz, McMahon might be trying to get the fans to put MNM on the same level and have the torch passed to MNM while the Hardyz go onto singles careers.

With the dearth of competent tag teams (WWE's latest tag teams like the Highlanders and Cryme Tyme have been disappointing to me), I would unify the titles and have the belts be defended on both shows (of course, I would get rid of the brand extension/roster split entirely, but that's another issue). Right away, the champions vs. champions match would increase in the belts and would also set the foundation for a rivalry between the two teams. Since I can't see Randy Orton and Edge putting their singles careers on hold for the tag team division, I'd strip them of the titles and/or have them put them up in a tournament that would be won by Team Angle (AKA The World's Greatest Tag Team, the third potentially elite team along with MNM and Londrick.) That would set up Londrick vs. WGTT for the tag titles. Then MNM could get involved, and it would be a triple threat for the tag titles. If you really wanted to put icing on the cake, throw in the Hardyz to make it a fourway match for the tag titles at, oh, Wrestlemania. You could build it by having interpromotional shows, like WGTT-The Hardyz or a fatal four way featuring one member of each team to build up the PPV match.

Then Londrick (the winner's for argument's sake) would have to be ready to defend the titles/compete on both shows. If you wanted to keep the roster switch, you could do some sort of rotating thing, where WGTT would challenge for the titles on a given Raw; if WGTT won, then Londrick would get moved to Raw while the new tag champs participated on both shows.

Once some elite tag teams are established, it would become easier to build up new tag teams. A win over WGTT or Londrick most likely would sound better than a victory over Haas and Viscera or two jobbers. Of course, this requires that the new teams first of all be good and, second (a two-parter), that they get some long matches with their foes and that there is good chemistry between the opposing teams. E&C, the Hardyz, and the Dudleyz just had some great energy and chemistry in their matches, which helped make their talent even more apparent. The high-flying Hardyz, the cocky and cunning E&C, and the tough Dudleyz just mixed together very nicely.

That's just what I would do with the tag team division. As Vince is oft to say, there's no chance in hell of this happening. Londrick will lose the titles to some random, unbuilt, unover team because of Ashley, probably around the time her Playboy magazine comes out. The Hardyz and MNM will be permanently split, meaning we get to see even more of the thrilling (please note the sarcasm) matches between Nitro and Jeff. Rated RKO will hold onto the belts but never defend them (and probably won't even wear them) while the Raw tag division won't go anywhere as Cryme Tyme, The Highlanders, and The Next Crappy Gimmick teams will all go over WGTT in matches that make WGTT look bad instead of making the other teams look good.

No, I'm not mad or angry about the floundering of the tag team division. I've come to accept mediocrity in wrestling lately, so I can always dream about how I would do things.

DC

Ratings
539 2
The above scenario is something I've been saying for years. Have one set of belts defended on both shows (well, three shows now) and have it like the men's and women's titles at the beginning of the brand-split.

It gives depth to a division that struggles with two belts and also adds a dynamic to the "brand-war" that pops up now and again. For example, WGTT win the tournament/four-way match described above. RAW then has bragging rights about how they have the best tag-team in the business (remember to WWE, they are the business)...you then have MNM defeat them at a PPV or summat, and then SD! can brag. An ECW team (if one ever happens), say RVD & Sabu for talking sake, gets in the mix.

Winning the belts come with the privelage of being on more than one show, which (kayfabe) means more money and more exposure. The incentive to win is increased and the chance to show "the other side" how it's done can be built up too.

I woulnd't have teams change shows though. If/when a team loses the belts, they go back to their original show.

Ratings
I think your wrong i mean crime time while having a cheesy gimmick is very talented and have cleanly impressed me. regal and taylor would be a great short term champs until deuce and domino get some matches under there belt not to mention any tag teams that are on the verge of wwe debuts and never forget that the worlds greatest tag team has reunitedand are still very young.
Cryme Tyme are awful in the ring and don't get good reactions to their ring work, when they are stealing stuff they get ok reactions but in the ring the crowd don't care.

Deuce and Domino are awful too, they will not last at all, the fans already don't care about them and their Grease 50's gimmick will bomb faster then Great Khali attempting a Swanton Bomb

Regal and Taylor would be good short term, but they are only short term

WGTT I would have the belts on them, but look where they are stuck in mid card going nowhere

Cryme Tyme, WGTT, Londrick, Highlanders, Rated RKO, Deuce and Domine, Taylor and Regal, Cade and Murdoch are all the tag teams they now have as full time tag teams that is hardly a a good thing, considering Rated RKO are the biggest names and hold the belts, none of those teams would have a chance at taking them without fans laughing out loud that they could beat Orton and Edge

Ratings
London & Kendrick are just as good as the teams above. They might possibly be even better than the teams mentioned. I've watched TNA teams and none of them touch L & K in the ring.
I dunno about that. London & Kendrick are fun to watch. I'll give them that much. But I wouldnt put them in the same league as any of those teams on my list. As far as TNA goes? I would love to see those two fight A.J. Styles and Christopher Daniels in a tag team match. That would be something to witness.:p