Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Figure skating

North

Ice skating is fun to do with your friends, but I've never thought about it seriously as one of the many fields in the Olympics. That's why I find some videos on professional athletes quite fascinating. Are there any enthusiasts here? I'm thinking about learning more.

Poppy

I don't enjoy ice skating myself, but I love watching it on television. I think ice dancing is fun to watch as well. Has anyone in particular caught your eye?

DandyMandy

There's been some controversy that figure skating has transitioned too far towards gymnastics with their daring leaps and jumps, but I like both the artistic ballet elements and the technical gymnastic elements. I feel like there's room for both.

headrush

I only watch it during the Olympics. My recent YouTube feed was highlighting the Grand Prix, especially Anna Shcherbakova, who won gold. Unless something deters her she could be the top contender for Beijing 2022.

North

There's been some controversy that figure skating has transitioned too far towards gymnastics with their daring leaps and jumps, but I like both the artistic ballet elements and the technical gymnastic elements. I feel like there's room for both.
That's interesting. Since I wasn't familiar with figure skating, I thought that what it was all about since decades ago. Sounds like the sport would be way too boring without the leaps and jumps.

Poppy, I haven't found a specific person yet, though I saw the event where a pair reenacted an anime about figure skating.