• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

FIFA World Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeSpirit

Ratings
Preview:

Friday 11th June to Sunday 11th July
Live on The BBC & ITV

The FIFA World Cup 2010 Official Website HERE
The BBC World Cup 2010 Website HERE
The ITV World Cup 2010 Website HERE
The 2010 FIFA World Cup will be the 19th FIFA World Cup, the premier international football tournament. It is scheduled to take place between Friday 11th June and Sunday 11th July 2010 in South Africa.

The 2010 FIFA World Cup will be the culmination of a qualification process that began in August 2007 and involved 204 of the 208 FIFA national teams. As such, it matches the 2008 Summer Olympics as the sports event with the most competing nations.

This will be the first time that the tournament has been hosted by an African nation, after South Africa beat Morocco and Egypt in an all-African bidding process. This decision left the Oceania Football Confederation as the only confederation yet to host the FIFA World Cup. Italy are the defending champions of the tournament, having beaten France on penalties four years ago in Germany. The draw for the finals took place on 4 December 2009 in Cape Town.
Groups & Matches:

For a complete list of matches please visit HERE
Group A:
France
Mexico
South Africa (Hosts)
Uraguay

Group B:
Argentina
Greece
Nigeria
South Korea

Group C:
Algeria
England
Slovenia
USA

Group D:
Australia
Germany
Ghana
Serbia

Group E:
Cameroon
Denmark
Japan
Netherlands

Group F:
Italy (Holders)
New Zealand
Paraguay
Slovakia

Group G:
Brazil
Ivory Coast
North Korea
Portugal

Group H:
Chile
Honduras
Spain
Switzerland

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Ratings
I'm backing Argentina. Messi's time to shine on the grandest stage of all.

Paul

Ratings
You're backing a country thats trying to screw over your fellow Brits? Interesting. :p

I'm supporting the US, mostly because I have them in a sweepstake thing to make the final 8. :lol:

By mostly I mean entirely.

Y2James

Ratings
I know that the favourites hardly ever win, but I really cant see past either Brazil or Spain winning this thing.

Cant wait for this to begin.

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Ratings
I'm backing Argentina simply because I think they will win, and I'm gonna bet them at 8/1, thats a nice price :)

Last edited:

The Cork

Ratings
I can see France winning it and Ireland kicking off over it, saying "That could of been us". LOL.

Other than that, Holland.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Ratings
I'm backing Germany, The Netherlands, America and England, in descending order. I'm really hoping for some sort of Germany VS France, or Netherlands VS Spain, or England VS Argentina type of historical grudge match to come up at some point in the tournament.

The GS

Ratings
I'd like to see Australia, Cameroon, USA and Argentina do well. Argentina winning would be pretty sweet,
I'm not into soccer as much this year as I used to be so I wont be watching a lot of it really.
I can't see myself watching the France games for obvious reasons either.
Gotta watch England though. I just love how they always got knocked out in dramatic circumstances. Makes for great watching.:lol:

Ratings
I'm backing ourselves.

Kind of sucks though since we have a terrible, terrible group and will struggle to get out of it.

I dont really know who else to go for after that. Maybe just whoever is playing Germany or England if they knock us out.

Absolutely cant wait for this thing though, I'm not going to sleep for the entire month. I'll probably die, but hey, there's a World Cup on!

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Ratings
Absolutely cant wait for this thing though, I'm not going to sleep for the entire month. I'll probably die, but hey, there's a World Cup on!
Same, it's gonna be ace. I was in Germany for 2006 and it was awesome, street partys everywhere. Great experience.

What's the time difference for you to South Africa Jimmy? I think it's only 1 hour from UK, so thats good. Can anyone confirm?

Fidel Cashflow

Ratings
AMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAA

Best group of players we've ever had. I think, overall, we'll be better in four years time, even with Landon and Dempsey in their 30's. Jozy, Bradley, Torres, Edu, and Davies will be eons better in four years. But, they could still make a run. The last thing I want to see is them come out and try to play composed ball. Their hearts need to be on the line from the first line. Full on relentless passion is always the common theme anytime this team does well.

I do hope Davies gets back in match shape. The Altidore/Davies front with Landon behind them and Dempsey on the wing is such an ideal combination.

Jung

Ratings
Can't see Argentina or France winning the tournament simply because both managers are utterly clueless and the fact they struggled to even qualify with the players they both had is astounding. Portugal and Germany too aren't the sides they were just a few years ago.

But yeah Brazil and Spain will be pretty special, Holland and England hopefully should finally have a good tournament and as for outsiders Serbia, Ivory Coast and Italy should do alright again.

Echo everyone else though, super looking forward to it!

The Cork

Ratings
Can't see Argentina or France winning the tournament simply because both managers are utterly clueless and the fact they struggled to even qualify with the players they both had is astounding. Portugal and Germany too aren't the sides they were just a few years ago.

Italy and France stuttered to qualification in 2006. Brazil and Germany stuttered to qualify in 2002. England beat Germany 5:1 in that qualification campaign. The qualification process isnt a great marker to judge who will do well.

Jung

Ratings
Italy and France stuttered to qualification in 2006. Brazil and Germany stuttered to qualify in 2002. England beat Germany 5:1 in that qualification campaign. The qualification process isnt a great marker to judge who will do well.
France and Italy both finished top of their 2006 qualifying groups but yeah Brazil and Germany struggled up to 2002 but they both had easy groups and Germany's path to the final was very straightforward.

I just think Domenench is an awful manager who basically got lucky with Zidane, Makelele, Vieira rolling back the years in 2006. Since then he's been dreadful at Euro 2008 and in qualifying, so yeah just cannot see them doing well, especially with this new scandal hanging over.

And with Maradona, he just doesn't know what team to pick and he's used about 60 players in qualifying. Lack of consistency and getting the best out of Messi, Tevez etc, I just don't think they are anywhere near as good as they could/should be and if they are in trouble, I can't see Maradona having the knowledge to get them out of it.

The Cork

Ratings
I just think Domenench is an awful manager who basically got lucky with Zidane, Makelele, Vieira rolling back the years in 2006. Since then he's been dreadful at Euro 2008 and in qualifying, so yeah just cannot see them doing well, especially with this new scandal hanging over.

And with Maradona, he just doesn't know what team to pick and he's used about 60 players in qualifying. Lack of consistency and getting the best out of Messi, Tevez etc, I just don't think they are anywhere near as good as they could/should be and if they are in trouble, I can't see Maradona having the knowledge to get them out of it.

I agree, Domenech is terrible, Ive even heard reports that he picks the team based on their star-signs and how they blend together. WTF???

As for Maradona? Bolivia 6 - 1 Argentina should be a big enough point, as if saying Jonas Guttierez from Newcastle is guaranteed a place in his team isnt.

BRM

Forum Leader
Ratings
BBC website said:
Spain midfielder Xavi could miss the World Cup with a muscle injury.

The Barcelona star, 30, scored one goal and set up two in Saturday's 4-1 win at Villarreal but admitted afterwards that he has a 3cm tear above his calf.

"Xavi's playing with an injury that could see him miss the World Cup," said Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

Xavi, whose side are battling with Real Madrid for the Spanish title, added: "I'm carrying a number of aches but the team has a lot on the line."

Barca are four points clear at the top of La Liga but Real have four games remaining to the Catalans' three.

Xavi has contributed three goals and 13 assists in 32 league appearances for Barca, with whom he won the La Liga, Spanish Cup, Spanish Supercup, Champions League, Uefa Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup titles last season.

He was also named player of the tournament after helping Spain win the 2008 European Championship.

Spain open their World Cup campaign against Switzerland on 16 June before also facing Honduras and Chile in Group H.
Maybe i can look beyond Spain. Iniesta, Fabregas, Torres and now Xavi all currently on the treatment table. Not the best build up by a long shot.

Fidel Cashflow said:
AMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCAAAAAA AA

Best group of players we've ever had. I think, overall, we'll be better in four years time, even with Landon and Dempsey in their 30's. Jozy, Bradley, Torres, Edu, and Davies will be eons better in four years. But, they could still make a run. The last thing I want to see is them come out and try to play composed ball. Their hearts need to be on the line from the first line. Full on relentless passion is always the common theme anytime this team does well.

I do hope Davies gets back in match shape. The Altidore/Davies front with Landon behind them and Dempsey on the wing is such an ideal combination.

Plenty of Scots seem to be adopting USA as their team of the tournamant of course the fact that they play England in their first game is one probable reason. But Rangers fans especially considering that both Edu and Beasley should hopefully be representing the States in South Africa.

Assuming that both England and USA progress to the round of 16 one of them is likely to play Germany while i'd fancy England against them, i'd favour the Germans against the USA so i'll predict that they'll go out in the round of 16.

Jung

Ratings
The German group is a really one tough one to call cause Serbia have a really strong spine and Ghana are a really good side. Not ruling out Australia, who again are a decent side but it's a really unpredictable group. Considering the way Germany have been playing recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even get through their group.

But the USA, I just don't know. If they play like they did in the Confeds Cup then who knows, but I'd expect England to top the group and USA finish 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.