• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Examples of "pretentious"

Ratings
I don't completely hate the movies that Wes Anderson directs, but they sometimes come across as "trying too hard" to me. I sometimes think this again when I'm at certain cafes or museums. What or who seems pretentious to you?

Poppy

Ratings
Pretentious is a good word to describe Darren Aronofsky. His movies are ridiculous and he comes up with all of these arty reasons to explain away his nonsense as though the audience and the critics are all just too stupid to understand his depth. Pretentious is a good adjective for Dana White, President of the UFC too. Well, sometimes at least. On the other hand, Wes Anderson just seems like an odd fellow to me. I've only seen a couple of his films though.

Ratings
I'll add my alley cat, Gus, to the list of pretentious beings. The poor thing was skin and bones when he showed up and he was loaded with fleas. A couple of years later and Gus acts like a king. I bet he'd expect Her Majesty to bow upon meeting him.

There used to be a pompous bar in Essex called Escedra. You had to wait ages for your drinks and they had a ridiculous dress code and tons of rules. I only went once and I believe they've closed down now.

@Boomer I agree with you about Wes Anderson! The bloke tries way too hard.