• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Elizabeth Holmes Scandal

Ratings
I recently learned of a huge scandal involving a woman named Elizabeth Holmes who started the company Theranos. The company was supposedly developing a technology that could give a medical diagnosis and dispense a cure using only a drop of blood from a patient. Reading through the story is wild. This woman managed to obtain several hundred billions of dollars in investment funds for a technology that never truly existed in the first place. She's been charged with fraud after being exposed by a Wall Street Journal reporter. Everything about her was fake, including the tone of voice she used to talk to people!

Ratings
I don't think the HBO documentary has been released in the UK yet and I'm dying to see it. I find the story fascinating. One of the lead scientists, Ian Gibbons, wound up committing suicide and his family wasn't given an ounce of sympathy from others in the company. I'm not sure which is worse, Holmes fraud and fake medical science, or the Sackler family's push to create an opioid that was as addictive as possible and a kickback, marketing campaign to ensure doctors would help turn millions of people into addicts.

Ratings
Something about her voice. It's trivial compared to the criminal case, but I also can't help wondering if she changed it to get taken more seriously. Maybe her alleged higher voice when she was younger was faked to blend in better with friends, like when Madonna pretended to sound English.