Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - November 3, 2009 from Providence, RI (#178)

TPIB

Venue
Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI

Last week's edition of ECW on Syfy scored a 1.0 rating, which was down from the previous week's 1.1 number.

(SmackDown for November 6 was taped following ECW)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Christian & Yoshi Tatsu Vs. Ezekiel Jackson & Vladimir Kozlov

Paul Burchill Vs. The Hurricane

Last edited:

TPIB

The match seems like it's happened 100 times before. Sure, it might have been Tommy Dreamer instead of Yoshi Tatsu in the past, but it's the same idea. It's really gotten old as has the team of Zeke & Kozlov, in my opinion.

I expect that, if not this week, then soon, Christian will "volunteer" to face William Regal over the attack and they will have another title match against each other.

It probably doesn't mean anything at all, but the DISH Network preview for ECW reads "new Superstar initiative" (or something similar), so if we're lucky, we will see a new Superstar debut. Hopefully Bryan Danielson or someone interesting as the ECW Roster is really lacking currently. Sure, Christian is great, but besides that, there's not much going on.

Dante Spears

Ryder's starting to come into his own, he's come a long way from that Edgehead gimmick.

With some works on him, I could see him becoming a pretty big star.

ViciousPrism

Nearly a year I believe. After he got his release from TNA he got a contract from the E and he was in FCW ever since.

TPIB

:lol: I thought Dante was being sarcastic. I have only seen Lance Hoyt like once or twice in the past, so I did not realize that was who it was. The crowd seemed to know who he was though.

He reminds me a bit of Kane with his facial expressions. Actually, he reminded me of Harland Williams (the seemingly insane actor/comedian). Not sure why though.

I am always interested to see new Superstars, so hopefully we will see some good things from him. I can't say I am crazy about the ring name of "Vance Archer", but it doesn't really matter how dumb the name is to those that decide on the name.

As soon as I heard his name and saw his finisher, I knew that we are in for an endless array of puns using the last name "Archer". I am still working on what to call his finisher. At first, I wanted to call it the "Archer's Arrow", but now I am thinking of calling it the "Archer's Bow" since he "bows" the opponent right before he delivers the neckbreaker. "Target Point" was another name. I will come up with a decent one in due time, I suspect.

I am kind of torn in regards to the two big angles in ECW right now; Christian/Regal and Burchill/Hurricane. With Christian/Regal, I can see Regal winning the ECW Title next week, but I don't expect it to happen. A case can be made either way. Same can be said for the Burchill/Hurricane rivalry. I would not be surprised to see this match take place next week, as well. While I could see them going with Hurricane unmasking, I think it will result in The Burchills leaving ECW. Originally, I was going to say that I hope they go to SmackDown, but then I realized that, in the promo, Burchill said that they would leave ECW, but did not say they would both move to the same brand. This got me thinking, and hoping, that they move Burchill to SmackDown and move Katie Lea to RAW as RAW really needs the help right now in the Divas Division. Right now, Melina and Gail Kim are the only Divas with any talent on RAW outside of Maryse, who is out of action and, even if they had Maryse return, they would still need Katie Lea on RAW, in my opinion. Plus, you can pretty much throw Gail Kim out of the title picture. I have given up on Gail Kim getting any sort of push while on RAW.

I really think it's time that Katie Lea actually be treated as champion material. She might suck as champion, but she's never really received a chance to prove that or not. Her career is pretty much dead on ECW. She rarely even speaks when she appears on the show.

When it comes to Rosa Mendes, however, that is the perfect role for her; to be a manager/eye candy. Maybe she can be Tiffany's assistant or something. Anything that keeps her from wrestling.

After reading the December issue of WWE Magazine, it looked like WWE was going to turn Zack Ryder into a gay character :lol: If you read the interview with him in the magazine, they have him talk about an "obsession" with the Backstreet Boys and say he is a fashion expert. To be fair, I guess that could be his true personality, but I don't think it is.

DC

With Christian/Regal, I can see Regal winning the ECW Title next week, but I don't expect it to happen.
Way to go out on a limb there, TPIB. :lol:

You do that a lot, actually; semi-predict one thing and then, straight after, contradict it.

TPIB

Well, I don't commit to a prediction unless I am completely sure of it. To revise my prediction, I will say that Regal will not win the title next week.......though I could see him winning it :lol:

It's difficult to be sure of anything when it comes to the WWE.

Dave7g

Well, I did. And it was ok, not as great as last week. The in ring stuff was poor, Regal and Goldust flat out sucked and they allowed Birchall to speak which is always bad, but they built up next weeks show quite well, and that should be a good one.

Dante Spears

why does Burchill get all this hate, I've always found him to be a competent wrestler and a believable talker if nothing else.

Dave7g

His voice just grates on my head, he sounds like a massive dork. He's medicore at best in the ring, but can be ok at times.

DC

How was Lance Hoyt?

EDIT - I watched the show on YouTube and Vance Archer looked much better with short hair. It's hard to take anything from a squash victory, but he at least showed some character.

Last edited:

DC

Straight after he walked out the door. He fought a local jobber and looked good doing it.

Dante Spears

Did anyone else interpret Archer walking out of Tiffany's office, and Tiffany walking out looking disheveled and saying he is "Intense" the way I did? :lol:

TPIB

Did anyone else interpret Archer walking out of Tiffany's office, and Tiffany walking out looking disheveled and saying he is "Intense" the way I did? :lol:
Yeah, I did. I originally thought of it that way when he came out of her office, but then she added the "intense" line, it made me wonder a bit.

Maybe it wasn't a scripted line and he really was "intense" :lol: