• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - November 17, 2009 from Philadelphia, PA (#180)

TPIB

Ratings
63 1
Venue
Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, PA

Last week's edition of ECW on Syfy scored a 1.0 rating, which is the same number the show drew the previous week.

(SmackDown for November 20 was taped following ECW)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Mask Vs. ECW Career:
The Hurricane Vs. Paul Burchill

Ratings
Looks like Burchill's heading for "future endeavors" hopefully that will free Katie Lea to do something useful.

Burchill looks like he's let himself go. I can't believe Katie Lea is stuck on ECW when the wooden Alisha Fox is on Raw in a Divas' title match!!

Dave7g

Ratings
I think the stip is that he only has to leave ECW, so looks like his God awful promos will be on Raw or Smackdown. Desmond Wolf he is not.

TPIB

Ratings
63 1
I have mentioned it before, but I would like to see Katie Lea moved to RAW and get a run with the Divas Title or at least be in contention for the title. At the moment, RAW needs Katie Lea more than SmackDown does. I don't really care what happens to Burchill, but SmackDown or leaving the WWE are the only real options at this point.

ShaolinHandLock

Ratings
A Mask match for someone who is well known for wrestling without a mask is entirely useless.

Everyone knows what Gregory Helms looks like.

Ratings
Results:

Credit:
The Wrestling Lounge

CM punk walks onto our screens and telling us that this is where it started for him and from here he become the first ever Clean cut world champion and that tonight when he walks to the ring for his match it will be the biggest and longest cheer in ECW history.

The ECW intro and fireworks hit and the main event of William Regal & CM Punk vs. R-Truth & Christian is plugged before Zack Ryder and Rosa Mendes head to the ring and grab some mics. Zack Ryder introduces himself before introducing Rosa to the ECW fans and he tells Rosa she is cool, smart, fun and beautiful and thanked her for being in his corner last week. Rosa tells Ryder she thought he was going to beat Shelton Benjamin last week before telling some story about her going shopping. Ryder challenges Shelton Benjamin to a match and he walks to the ring and asks if he can wrestle Rosa instead as he has become a power tool. Shelton tells Ryder to face him now but Ryder says he will do it on his terms before smashing Shelton in the head with the mic and running up the ramp.

The announce team then plug the match of Paul Burchill vs. Hurricane before showing a video package about their feud and their match which is up next!

Paul Burchill vs. The Hurricane

The wrestlers lock up to start the match before exchanging pin attempts and standing off again. They lock up again before Burchill rolls to the outside before slowly returning to the ring and locking up again which leads to a pinfull attempts by Burchill which Hurricane blocks before sending Burchill to the outside and joining him outside via a cross body. Back in the ring, they lock up again before Katie grab the leg of a running Hurricane allowing her brother to hit Hurricane with a back suplex before we head to a break.

Burchill has a chin lock locked in tight on Hurricane before Burchill hits Hurricane with a massive clothesline and dropping the knee across the face of Hurricane as Katie Lea looks on. The crowd gets behind Hurricane only to see ECW’s super hero get clothesline by the Ripper. Burchill whips Hurricane into the corner and attempts a splash only to have Hurricane move sending the British brawler into the turnbuckle and this allows Hurricane to hit a side effect like move. Hurricane attempts the Eye of the Hurricane only for Burchill to hit a pele kick and hit Hurricane with a northern light suplex. Hurricane fights back and hit’s a massive Hurricanina before Katie Lea grabs his foot and this allows Burchill to hit a jackhammer like move for a 2 count. Burchill attempt it again but Hurricane blocks in and hit’s the Eye of The Hurricane for a 2 count. Both wrestlers climb the top rope as Burchill attempts a suplex but Hurricane blocks it and hit’s a swigging neck breaker from the top rope and Paul Burchill is done on ECW

Winner The Hurricane

After the match, The Burchill’s are in the ring looking shocked that they have to leave ECW. Paul says sorry to Katie as we jump to the back and see Tiffany talking to Cm Punk. Cm Punk starts running down Tiffany as she drinks a little so she tells him to lighten up and drink sometime.

Vance Archer vs. Johnny Andrews

This match is a total squash and after about 30 seconds Vance hits his backwards reverse DDT for the win

Winner Vance Archer

The Survivor Series card is ran down before we jump to the back to Christian and CM Punk arguing before Christian walks off as we head to a break

We are back and we are shown a video package highlighting the history between MSG and the WWE

CM Punks music hits and he gets a pretty mixed reaction on his return to ECW before the 2008 King of the Ring William Regal joins him in the ring. Christian and his tag partner R-Truth head to the ring for our main event

William Regal & CM Punk vs. Christian & R-Truth

Christian and CM Punk will start this out and we start with Christian slapping CM Punk and dragging in William Regal by the hair before tagging in R-Truth and hitting a dropkicks on their opponents to the outside as we head to a break.

Christian hit’s a drop kick on Regal before R-Truth hit’s a diving cross body to the outside on CM Punk and as he attempts to re enter the ring, Regal trips him causing Truth’s back the apron allowing the team of Regal and Punk to double team R-Truth and pick at his injured leg. Punk tags in Regal who stomps on Truth before dropping knees and elbows on the leg of Truth and retagging the former World Champion CM Punk. Punk attempts a leg drop which misses but connects with a drop kick. Punk tags in Regal who goes to work on the leg of Truth but after a kick to the head of Regal, Truth tags out to Christian and he attacks CM Punk with a massive DDT from the top rope and attempts The Killswitch which is blocked but he hits his reverse DDT and goes for the pin. Regal breaks it up which leads to Truth entering the ring and distracting the ref as Christian goes for the Killswitch and Regal runs in kneeing Christian in the head before Punk hit’s the GTS for the win

Winners Cm Punk & William Regal

Dave7g

Ratings
It was a decent show that did nothing to build Survivor Series. Birchill and Helms had a good match that was great in the final few minutes. Although the dumbest fued ever possibly. Birchill was hoping to reveal Hurricane as Greg Helms, even though he had competed as Hurricane Helms for many years on television, around the world. Give him a push, please.

Highlight was Punk and Christian's interaction outside and inside the ring, I really want to see a match with these two so bad now and I think it might happen on Raw. Just give them more than 5 minutes for God sake and cut HHH's onscreen time down to just 2 hours.

Punk out-heeling Regal was nice too.

R-Truth's music is beyond belief, he sounds like he's mentally disabled when he sings.

TPIB

Ratings
63 1
Not to mention that R-Truth is just singing over the lyrics in the song. That seems like a lot of extra effort to me. They should just have him come out to the music without him rapping and then just have him do the "what's up?" deal once he is in the ring.

Ja Rule was a rapper with a raspy voice too and look what happened to him; he's a thing of the past.

I, too, am hoping for a CM Punk/Christian feud sometime in the future. Having Christian feud with Punk will, at the very least, buy time until they can come up with the next challenger for the ECW Championship. As it stands, Punk & Christian both need a good feud to work. It seems to me that they are finished with the CM Punk/Scott Armstrong feud and I don't really see much coming out of this short CM Punk/R-Truth feud.

I wanted to point out something that kind of amused me on ECW; Lauren introduced Johnny Andrews (the jobber who faced Vance Archer) as being from somewhere in Florida. Then the bell rings to start the match and the first thing out of Josh Mathews' mouth is something about Andrews competing in his "hometown". You can't really blame Mathews for not catching the announcement of the jobber, especially since he was probably being shouted at through his headset for one reason or another.

Speaking of amusing, I really enjoyed the Punk/Christian interaction backstage. To me, Christian is gold as a talent; both in and out of the ring. Same with CM Punk. One of the elements of good comedy is timing and these two had it in that segment.

It's only three matches or so into the feud and I am already sick of the Ryder/Rosa/Benjamin stuff.

Dave7g

Ratings
Ryder is attrocious anyway. The "fued" or angle or whatever it is is real low grade stuff, much like Ryder.

Ratings
That was the best ECW in AGES. Pretty good main event, great finish, great Punk-Christian interaction, pretty good Hurricane/Burchill match, which also got really great in the end, and this freaking feud is OVER, a nice little Zack-Rosa-Shelton segment, and Tiffany being as awesome as always. Only thing that wasnt any good was Hoyt's squash, and that only took 60 seconds. So yeah, really good show today.

DC

Ratings
539 2
What I'm liking about Vance Archer at the moment is his facial expressions and general demeanour. When he makes his entrance, he has a look on his face that says he's looking forward to kicking someone's ass and, during the matches, he has an expression that tells us he's enjoying kicking someone's ass.

It's a small subtlety, but it adds so much to his persona.

Dante Spears

Ratings
Not to mention that R-Truth is just singing over the lyrics in the song. That seems like a lot of extra effort to me. They should just have him come out to the music without him rapping and then just have him do the "what's up?" deal once he is in the ring.
Yes because what he has done has utterly failed in getting him over with the fans and therefore the WWE should bend to the will of stodgy internet smarks who are never happy with ANYTHING.

As it stands, Punk & Christian both need a good feud to work.
Why, because Christian hasn't had a good feud as of late? The Regal/Christian feuds is one of the few they have actually got right this year and took the time to let things fester. And it "ended" last week it's not like Christian has been hovering around in obscurity doing nothing for weeks.

It seems to me that they are finished with the CM Punk/Scott Armstrong feud and I don't really see much coming out of this short CM Punk/R-Truth feud.
Except possibly try and build R-Truth up to the main event level by having him feud with a certified main eventer, or by giving Punk a competent opponent in ring with to prevent shite like a Scott Armstrong feud

It's only three matches or so into the feud and I am already sick of the Ryder/Rosa/Benjamin stuff.
How can you make these assumptions based off of roughly two weeks work? Christ not every feud can be a feud of the year contender, there's always bound to be lesser quality stuff. And you know, maybe Benjamin might help Ryder improve in the ring, or maybe Ryder will try and make Shelton look good.
Ryder is attrocious anyway. The "fued" or angle or whatever it is is real low grade stuff, much like Ryder.
And how can you call Ryder low-grade? He's gone from guy nobody cares about and never had a hope of being anything in the WWE to a legit midcarder. he has a unique look and while his personality is in desperate need of some work to make it sound less forced is acceptable. and you know, he isn't terrible in the ring.