Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread- May 26, 2009 from Los Angeles, CA (#155)

TPIB

Venue
STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, CA

(The ECW & SmackDown Portions of WWE Superstars were taped prior to ECW and SmackDown for May 29 was taped following ECW)

Confirmed Matches/Events

6-Man Tag:
Christian, Finlay, & Tommy Dreamer Vs. Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, & David Hart Smith

Evan Bourne Vs. Mark Henry

Build To Extreme Rules

Last edited:

TPIB

ECW on Sci-Fi Match Results- May 26, 2009

2-on-1 Handicap Match: Squash Match:
Vladimir Kozlov def. Russ Taylor & Joey Munos (jobbers) by pinning Russ Taylor following the Iron Curtain.

Evan Bourne def. Mark Henry (with Tony Atlas) by Count-Out.

3-on-2 Handicap Match:
Jack Swagger & The Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd & David Hart Smith) def. ECW Champion Christian & Tommy Dreamer by Jack Swagger pinning Christian following the Swagger Bomb.
It was announced on ECW that Christian will defend the ECW Title against Jack Swagger & Tommy Dreamer in a Triple Threat Match contested under Hardcore Rules at Extreme Rules.

A Triple Threat is usually No DQ & No Count-Out, so I guess a Hardcore Rules Triple Threat Match would mean a lot more emphasis on No DQ & No Count-Out with weapons and whatnot. If I am not mistaken, a Hardcore Rules match is supposed to be different because pinfalls & submissions count anywhere. There has to be some difference since they went with Hardcore Rules instead of calling it Extreme Rules. With WWE, it is hard telling. In any case it should be a good match. I expect Christian to retain.

For anyone wondering why Tommy Dreamer is competing at Extreme Rules despite his contract expiration the day before on June 6, they gave the reason that Dreamer signed a "one day extension" to compete at the pay-per-view.

ViciousPrism

Just watched the announcement, and all I can say right now is... Tommy Dreamer's dancing rules!

Cathal

At least Bourne was on the show this week. Also, Zack Ryder squash match > Kozlov squash match and Ryder's theme rules.

Jimmy Redman

Holy Moses, there was so many things wrong or stupid or perplexing about this opening segment it defies belief. The f*ck is this, Impact?

Firstly, and just to get it out of the way save repeating it twenty times, there is no heat for this. Absolutely no heat. Not a peep out of anyone all show. Really made everything look much worse than it was.

Having said that, bad segment. Christian continuing to call Swagger a dork and mock him isnt good. Swagger had pretty much his worst lisp yet this week, I really noticed it. Some bad comedy, like we need more bad comedy this week. If Swagger said he talked to Tiffany about the title match, why would she need to come out and announce the stip? Didnt she, you know, tell Swagger when they discussed this? Although this is clearly just an excuse to get Tiffany out to cut a promo, which makes it alright with me. Why would Swagger lie about the triple threat, surely he'd realise that he couldnt exactly keep it a secret? If Swagger was lying, then why was he so shocked when Tiffany announced the triple threat? If Swagger wasnt, in fact, lying (as it appeared), why would Tiffany say he was? Now, why the F*CK did Dreamer enter the ring and start strutting and doing the Rick Rude gyrations? WHAT. THEE. F*CK? Why the hell did Dreamer toss Christian? I mean obviously its because of the title match, where suddenly faces attack each other and its OK, but he got totally booed for it. Funny that, when you ATTACK YOUR TOP BABYFACE UNPROVOKED. Bad segment on all levels.

So now we're backstage, and Christian and Dreamer are bitching. Dreamer is bitching at Christian for, get this, ignoring him when he was going insane in the ring earlier. The f*ck? Why is Dreamer going heel? They might not even be doing it on purpose, but when you have Dreamer attack and then bitch at Christian (their TOP BABYFACE) for no reason, he's a heel. So here we have the storyline of the sentimental favourite, ECW Original Dreamer going for one last shot at the title he loves so much...and he's going to be booed. This is insane.

So anyway they bitched, and then they brawled backstage. At least the brawl was OK. Finlay breaks it up. I totally forgot they were teaming tonight until just now. So now we're told that Finlay damaged his EYE doing this and is now out of the main event. They injured his eye from him pulling Dreamer off Christian backstage. They had Dreamer go heel and had a brawl so they could injure the guy breaking it up? This is straight out of Impact.

Somewhere here they advertised Kozlov in action: NEXT. If there was anything that makes me want to change the channel more, I'm yet to hear it. He faced two jobbers, one of whom was the girliest male wrestler you've ever seen. More feminine than Jeff Hardy, than Matt Bentley, than Shawn Michaels, than Juventud. Also, he faced two jobbers but instead of beating them both up at once like a good monster heel, they were tagging in and out. There is literally nothing this man cannot fail at.

I'm struggling to believe how bad the show has been up until this point.

MARK HENRY JUST DID A MOTHERF*CKING ROUNDHOUSE KICK. OK, this is no longer the worst show ever. This is the greatest man in the history of the world.

Seriously, I loved the crap out of that match. It was simple as hell, Mark Henry was just killing Evan Bourne, and Evan Bourne was selling the f*ck out of it. The diving knees was a GREAT spot. And it was about the most perfect countout victory ever. Great stuff, all of it.

"YOU LUCKY TO BE ALIVE BOY!"

I love this man.

"..and because it was clearly you guyses fault.." I love this woman. Tiffany's 'stern teacher admonishing five year olds' gimmick rules.

Nattie is a better promo than most, especially considering she's spoken maybe four times in her whole career. I cannot express my approval of the Hart Dynasty enough.

First part of this match ruled. HOLDS~! Seriously, if the next few months of ECW means months of Swagger, Christian, Finlay and the Harts WRASSLIN' each other weekly, I shall be one happy camper. This match has been really good. Lacks any heat whatsoever though. OK, this is still a good match, a good long TV tag main event. Cluster was good, finish was good, aftermath was good. In the same way that having Cena and MVP interact with the Ballin' Elbow stuff is a brilliant idea, having the Harts lay out Dreamer without taking away from the 3-way is a brilliant idea. Even though they're not the title contenders, they're being built as a big deal. This was good, and would have looked so much better if there was even some heat to it. Shame really.

The second half of the show totally saved it, because halfway through it was looking pretty grim.

Last edited:

DC

Evan Bourne v Mark Henry was a great little TV match. The first clothesline was brilliant, as was Mark doing a roundhouse kick to Evan's chin. The entire bout was as good a "Big Man v Little Man" match you're likely to see... and the crowd, dead as they were throughout the show, really came alive for the closing moments.

EDIT - The main event was great too. Natalya was excellent at ringside, getting involved rather than just standing there like a lot of valets do, while Tyson Kidd shouting at his opponent to quit, etc and Smith doing his dad's delayed suplex were great little touches.

The finish was brilliantly done, with Kidd's big kick looking sweet and Jack's Swaggerbomb looking the best he's ever hit it.

Last edited:

TPIB

According to WrestleZone.com, this week's ECW scored a 1.0 rating. That's down from last week's 1.1 number.