Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread- January 27, 2009 from Cleveland, OH (#138)

TPIB

Venue
Wolstein Center in Cleveland, OH (The Miz's Hometown)

(ECW on Sci-Fi was taped prior to the January 26 edition of RAW)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Royal Rumble Fallout

ECW Champion Jack Swagger To Celebrate His First Title Defense

Tommy Dreamer Vs. Mark Henry

Last edited:

TPIB

Kind of surprised that Matt has been moved to SmackDown, though I guess I shouldn't be. It really showed on this week's ECW how much the brand is lacking without Matt Hardy. Though their star power was weak before, it's even weaker now, but I guess sacrifices have to be made in order to see the excellency that Hardy Vs. Hardy should be.

ECW Match Results- January 27, 2009

Finlay (with Hornswoggle) def. Paul Burchill (with Katie Lea Burchill) by pin following the Celtic Cross.

Mark Henry (with Tony Atlas) def. Tommy Dreamer by pin following the World's Strongest Slam.

FreeSpirit

Results:

Credit:
prowrestling.net

The opening montage opened the show.

Todd Grisham introduced himself and Matt Striker. He said they were coming off one of the most shocking Royal Rumbles ever. Teddy Long's music played and the ECW general manager made his way to the ring.

Teddy introduced a video that recapped the Royal Rumble pay-per-view. The video closed with footage of Matt Hardy attacking Jeff Hardy. Back in the ring, Teddy said Matt requested his release from ECW to be part of Smackdown. "Well, that's all right with me," Long said. "The only thing I can say is good luck to you, Matt."

Long announced that Boogeyman would be on the show. Jack Swagger's music played and he came to the ring to announce that there would be an official celebration during the show for him becoming the ECW Champion. Swagger posed with the title while flashing the smile. Boogeyman's music played and Striker took off. The announcers hyped that Boogeyman would be in action after the break.

Ricky Ortiz made his entrance with a mic in hand. He said Boogeyman doesn't need to eat worms to get the people behind him, he just needs a Ricky O rally towel.

1. Ricky Ortiz vs. Boogeyman ended in a non contest. After Ricky made the comment about the towel, Boogey punched him a couple of times and then clotheslined him over the top rope. The referee just kind of waved his arms a couple of times and Ortiz walked up the ramp.

Backstage, Jack Swagger complained to Teddy Long that his ECW Title belt was missing. Teddy asked if he misplaced it. Swagger said he set it down for five seconds and it was gone. He asked what Teddy was going to do about it. "I'm not going to do anything about it," Long said. "I've got a show to run." Long told Swagger to talk to Tiffany if she's available.

A Raw commercial asked what the McMahons have planned next for Randy Orton.

2. Finlay defeated Paul Burchill (w/Katie Lea) in 4:30. No Hornswoggle at ringside. He popped out from underneath the ring and scared Katie early on. Burchill bled from the nose early. In the end, Finlay hit the Celtic Cross and scored the clean pin.

Backstage, Tiffany was hard at work flirting with Ricky Ortiz, who said he didn't know what happened during his match with Boogeyman. "I was just trying to rally everybody up." Swagger entered the picture and said, "Well?" He said she heard what Teddy said, she had to help him find his belt. That's not exactly what he said, but she followed along anyway.

The "12 Rounds" trailer aired.

Backstage, Swagger and Tiffany searched for his title belt and encountered Mark Henry and Tony Atlas. Swagger asked if they'd seen his ECW Championship. "You think I took it?" Henry asked. "Well, if I did, what are you going to do about it? Nothing! Just like I thought." Henry and Atlas walked away.

A video recapped the Randy Orton and McMahon family saga from Raw.

Ring introductions took place for the Mark Henry vs. Tommy Dreamer match.

3. Mark Henry (w/Tony Atlas) defeated Tommy Dreamer. The crowd chanted "ECW" to start the match. Striker listed some of the wrestlers who were trained by Johnny Rodz, including himself, and said Dreamer might be the best of the bunch. Early in the match, Dreamer went for a roll up, but Henry grabbed his arm and sat down on it.

Henry spent the next few minutes working over Dreamer's arm. Later, Dreamer went for a cross body block off the second rope, but Henry caught him. Henry hit the World's Strongest Slam and scored the clean pin.

Backstage, Jack and Tiffany said they looked everywhere and asked everybody. Teddy said there was only one way to solve it. "Come on, let's go to the ring and get your title back.

AC/DC's "Shoot To Thrill" played as the WrestleMania 25 graphic was shown.

After the break, Teddy Long stood in the ring with Jack Swagger and Tiffany. Teddy said the joke was over and said the person who stole the title belt should bring it to the ring immediately. Finlay's music played and he walked out with a smile on his face and a mic in his hand.

Finlay stood at ringside and said he thinks he knows who has the belt. He looked under the ring and his entrance music played again. He pulled Hornswoggle out from underneath the ring. Horny had the belt and tried to run backstage, but Finlay caught him and brought him into the ring.

Horny laughed and grunted as Finlay told Swagger that his son was just having fun. Finlay asked Hornswoggle what he has to say to "Mr. Swagger." Swagger accused Finlay of putting his Horny up to it. "If I really wanted your title, I would take it," Finlay said. They bickered a bit more and then Finlay asked Horny to give the belt back.

Hornswoggle handed Swagger the belt, but Swagger shoved him to the mat. Finlay attacked Swagger and then picked up the title belt and struck Swagger with it. Finlay and Horny left together while Swagger was lying flat on his back to close the show with his eyes closed.

Jimmy Redman

Speaking of emasculating your top heels after going to all that effort to build them up...Jack Swagger.

Seriously, they give him the big push, give him the belt, he beats Matt Hardy clean at the Rumble, so they follow up how? Of course, we humiliate him by having him misplace his title belt and spend the whole show looking for it and whinging, not even in an angry "WHERE'S MY MOTHERF*CKING BELT BITCHES?!" way, but a childish, geeky, "Uh, Mr Long, sir, I lost my belt, I put it down but its not there anymore and I've looked everywhere but its gone! *sniff* Pretty please could you help me find it?" And TLo blows him off so Tiffany has to lead him around backstage sheepishly asking guys "Er, Mr Henry, sir, have you seen my title belt? I seem to have lost it," like a 7 year old girl. TLo actually said "I feel like a third grade teacher" in describing these events. It made him look like the absolute tool of the century. Well done, thats two c*ckups from two shows.

There was literally nothing else interesting about ECW either. The f*ck is Bourne coming back already?

BlackEyed

I thought that the two matches they put on weren't too bad considering who was in them.
I hope that they go somewhere with Tommy Dreamer's storyline, I think it would boost the ratings of the show.

BlackEyed

Maybe they were waiting for a blacked-up Michael PS Hayes to come into the ring and lay the smackdown on Henry...That could end up better or worse than the Katie Vick thing, I don't know JOKE!!!
Looking back on Henry's reign as ECW champ, I would say that it was probably the best WWECW reign since it's inception

Last edited: