Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread- April 28, 2009 from New York City, NY (#151)

TPIB

Venue
Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY (Matt Striker's Hometown)

(SmackDown for May 1 was taped after ECW in the same venue)

Confirmed Matches/Events

NEW ECW Champion Christian To Appear

Backlash Fallout

Last edited:

TPIB

ECW on Sci-Fi Match Results- April 28, 2009

Tyson Kidd (with Natalya) def. Finlay by pin following a shillelagh shot to the back of the knee.

ECW Championship:
Tommy Dreamer def. Christian (c) by DQ after Jack Swagger attacks Tommy Dreamer; Christian (c) retains.
It was announced on this week's show that, starting next week, ECW will be moving back to the 10/9c time slot.

TPIB

That was it there was only two matches?
Yep. Neither were all that good either. Vladimir Kozlov made an appearance in a Russian Military uniform and talked about "global domination". They also announced Christian Vs. Swagger in a rematch for the ECW Title at Judgment Day. They also announced that ECW will be moving to 10/9c (in the U.S.) starting next week. Of course, the big story is that Hurricane Helms (now going back to Gregory Helms) is now a backstage interviewer for ECW. What's up with that?

Fiona

We normally don't watch ECW until Friday night. Not going to bother this week. This show is getting worse all the time. Loved it when Helms used to come running out with his cape on. Cheers TPIB.:thumbup2:

Last edited:

DarkMatchJobber

I am a Kozlov fan but sometimes WWE pushes their luck and now it seems they are going to be at least 30 years out of date with the Russian militant gimmick complete with uniform.

Tommy Dreamer should have been chosen to end Swagger's reign just so he could end his career on a high note and then perhaps put the title up for grabs in a month-long tournament in order to test crowd reactions to potential holders of the gold.

Jimmy Redman

There is no way Tommy Dreamer should have beaten Swagger. Dreamer needs to retire yesterday. The match turned out alright in the end, but God damn, Dreamer was moving so, so slowly, especially in the beginning. He couldnt even run for Irish whips. It was sad, actually, and if thats what he looks like these days there is no way he should win the ECW Title.

Tyson v Finlay was a good little match actually, Tyson working Finlay's leg was great, and the right result too.

I thought I'd fallen asleep and woken up in 1980 when Kozlov came out in a Russian army uniform talking about global domination. I eagerly await the day where they finally just park the guy. He's useless and hammering home the Cold War gimmick in 2009 wont make him any less useless.

Christian did a great job of putting over the ECW Title, and Swagger continues to look like a very big thing. Tiffany sounded a little better also.

ECW was well worth the watch.

DC

Swagger continues to look like a very big thing.
I am, in no way, comparing Swagger to Brock Lesnar, but I've not felt this sure about someone making it to the top since Lesnar arrived.

Jimmy Redman

Oh yeah, I laughed tremendously at Gregory Helms - ECW backstage interviewer. If there's a lower on-screen WWE job I've yet to hear it. Sucks to be him, but he was awful wrestling.

DC

Oh yeah, I laughed tremendously at Gregory Helms - ECW backstage interviewer. If there's a lower on-screen WWE job I've yet to hear it. Sucks to be him, but he was awful wrestling.
It's hard to believe that Gregory Helm, when he was the CW champ and tearing the house down on a nightly basis, could get so sloppy in the ring.

Oh, and it can only be a matter of time before Jack Swagger gets a move to RAW or Smackdown. IMO, he's already outgrown ECW.