Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 6th January 2009

What Did You Think of the First ECW on Sci-Fi of 2009?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Venue:
The New Orleans Arena - New Orleans, Louisiana

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 6th January on Sci Fi at 9/8c
UK: Friday 9th January on Sky Sports 3 at 12am

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

WWE taped this week's edition of ECW at the New Orleans Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana.

ECW: (Airing This Week)
* Jack Swagger b. Finlay
- Swagger got the clean finish with a body slam.

* Katie Lea Burchill b. Alicia Fox

* Boogeyman b. Unknown Jobber
- Boogeyman gave the unknown jobber a mouth full of worms.

* ECW Champion Matt Hardy b. Mark Henry
- Hardy gets the clean win via pinfall after hitting Twist of Fate. Good match.
Dark Match:

- Dolph Ziggler b. Tommy Dreamer
* Ziggler got the win with his finisher.

TPIB

That sounds like crap.
It's ECW on Sci-Fi. It's presumed to be crap and booked accordingly. The only good parts was Finlay getting his nose and/or mouth bloodied and Swagger ramming Hornswoggle into the barricade. Other than that, you won't miss much.

Matt Hardy Vs. Jack Swagger for the ECW Title will take place next week.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

OK, Swagger v Finlay was really, really good. Good match, good brawling, good story, good finish. Add in Striker, and that match really made Swagger look like someone. And if he's the No. 1 Contender already then thats something they really need to do.

For Alicia Fox's first match, it was much better than anyone would think. Although she does do Michelle's one-legged dropkicks, which are awful. But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised because she wasnt too bad at all. Gabriel looks so damn creepy I cant even stand to look at him, without exaggeration.

Unfortunately, some family just popped in and I missed Matt/Henry. Might catch the replay because they're usually quite good.

EDIT: Just seen the replies. ECW hasnt been all that great for a few months, but today's show was pretty OK, with, by all accounts, two really good matches.

And I cant believe that they're building Swagger up this way to have him just lose next week, so I expect shenanigans of some sort.

Last edited:

Al Stevens

I thought ECW was pretty decent this week, The swagger Finaly match was pretty good and I am liking on where they are taking the jack Swagger character as well.

Alicia fox was pretty good last night considering this was (and someone like TPIB feel free to correct me if I am wrong) her first match in the ring. The one legged drop kicks look p**s poor tho and it's good to see Katie Lea in action again.

Boogieman I just fast forwarded to be honest.

The main even was a damn good match as well, personally I think I can see Mark Henry running in next week costing swagger his chance of the title (ala like last weeks match).

TPIB

You're right Al, that was her first match on television (at least to my memory).

I imagine we will see a Triple Threat Match for the ECW Title at the Rumble with Matt defending against both Henry & Swagger, even though Matt did pin Henry, I still think that it is a very big possibility. I just hope they don't have the ECW Champion participate in the Rumble like they did last year, I hated that.

Murph

Yeah I thought it was pretty stupid, too. Doesn't make the WWE or World Title seem better, just makes the ECW Title seem less. Which it clearly is, but we don't need to know it.

That being said, I loved that Rumble match. Probably my favourite ever.

DC

What did Swagger actually use to beat Finlay? I find it hard to believe it was a simple bodyslam like the spoilers say.

TPIB

I did not notice it until this edition of ECW (and maybe it's the first time he's used it), but they don't have Swagger do the Blue Thunder Bomb anymore. It's now more of a gutwrench powerbomb. I don't know why they changed it, I rather liked the Blue Thunder Bomb. In any case, the gutwrench powerbomb is what he beat Finlay with. He did the powerbomb and lands with his front on the mat, that's the only difference between it and a typical gutwrench powerbomb.

DC

I did not notice it until this edition of ECW (and maybe it's the first time he's used it), but they don't have Swagger do the Blue Thunder Bomb anymore. It's now more of a gutwrench powerbomb. I don't know why they changed it, I rather liked the Blue Thunder Bomb. In any case, the gutwrench powerbomb is what he beat Finlay with. He did the powerbomb and lands with his front on the mat, that's the only difference between it and a typical gutwrench powerbomb.
He's been using the Gut-wrench Powerbomb for a good while now; a lot longer than he spent using the Red, White and Blue Thunder Bomb.