Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 26th August 2008

What Did You Think of the 116'th Edition of ECW on Sci-Fi?

• Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

• Very Poor

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Wachovia Arena - Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 26th August on Sci Fi at 10/9c
UK: Friday 29th August on Sky Sports 3 at 12am

World's Strongest Rematch
26th August 2008

After defeating Matt Hardy in a SummerSlam rematch on ECW, Mark Henry retained the ECW Championship. With WWE Hall of Famer Tony Atlas in his corner, Henry appears to be truly unstoppable by Hardy. In a matter of days, Hardy lost two chances at Henry's gold, thanks to Atlas' interference, which went unnoticed by the ECW referee.

Will the passionate Hardy regain enough strength to once again challenge the World's Strongest Champion for the title? If not Hardy, can anyone stop the confident and tough ECW Champion, Henry? How will Atlas as Henry’s ally play into his plan to retain the gold?

Ongoing rivals Mike Knox and Finlay will finally meet in the ring on the next ECW. In recent weeks, Knox told Finlay he's gone "soft," and while the man who loves to fight has invited Knox to get in the ring, he's refused, saying he'll make his move when he wants to. Ready or not, the sinister Knox will come face-to-face with Finlay and his son, Hornswoggle on the next ECW.

What will happen when the tension between Knox and Finlay finally explodes in the ECW ring? Will Finlay prove he hasn’t gone "soft," and that he's still a fighter, despite enjoying a dance or two in the ring with his son? Or will the Desert Destroyer prove that he can take out the Fighting Irishman whenever he wants? Will Hornswoggle affect the match between his father and Knox?

Also on ECW, John Morrison, The Miz & Chavo Guerrero, who was accompanied by his bodyguard, Bam Neely, defeated Tommy Dreamer, Evan Bourne & Super Crazy in tag team action. The Miz secured the win for his team when he pinned ECW Original Dreamer after some help by Morrison.

Miz & Morrison have been trying to regain much-needed momentum after being defeated by Henry & Hardy last week. Are the former WWE Tag Team Champions and hosts of WWE.com's "The Dirt Sheet" back in business in the Land of the Extreme? Or will a Superstar, such as Original Dreamer or the bold, high-flying Bourne, stop this devious duo in their tracks?

Finally, Ricky Ortiz's "Ricky O. Rally Towel" turned out to be the good luck charm he needed on ECW. Ortiz upheld his undefeated streak, which is now at 4 and 0, after defeating Gavin Spears, a fellow member of ECW General Manager Theodore Long's New Superstar Initiative. Will the brash, bold, fan-favorite, Ortiz, continue to conquer the Land of the Extreme? Will Spears be able to make his mark in the Land of the Extreme?

Find out the answers to these questions and more by tuning into ECW this Friday on Sky Sports 3 at 12am (after Thurday's encore of RAW)!

Last edited:

DarkMatchJobber

I just read the spoilers and now ECW has it's own scramble match at Unforgiven...honestly the creative team is pushing their damn luck now.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
All the championship scrambles made perfect sense for a 3 week build.Just cater the ongoing feuds for it if there are some.And if there aren't any just use the open competition angle to make it run smoothly.It would be very difficult to take feuds on to another level in the 3 week build to make the new PPV match stand-out.And pretty impossible to make a new feud look built up in time.The scramble has been a good piece of making the PPV look special with such little build.

Paul

Or the Championship scramble could just be the theme of Unforgiven?!
The theme being booking overkill? Did someone on the booking squad watch Lockdown and think 'yeah, loads of the same gimmick ROCKS'?

Still, in fairness it worked for Survivor Series so who knows.

Jayfunk

to be fair they rarely have fueds that build anymore, you can't build a fued well over a month the only ones that haven't is jechico/hbk and edge/taker which largely was dull.

bring back six month or a year fueds like hbk/hart, austin/mcmahon, hhh/ the rock.

its one thing that TNA does do well, they have fueds that span over a months.

DC

to be fair they rarely have fueds that build anymore, you can't build a fued well over a month the only ones that haven't is jechico/hbk and edge/taker which largely was dull.

bring back six month or a year fueds like hbk/hart, austin/mcmahon, hhh/ the rock.

its one thing that TNA does do well, they have fueds that span over a months.
TNA do it too far the other way and continue fueds long after the natural lifespan (I'm looking at you, Robert Roode v Eric Young).

Jayfunk

TNA do it too far the other way and continue fueds long after the natural lifespan (I'm looking at you, Robert Roode v Eric Young).
agreed 3lk/konnan/kip james is another example but i would prefer that to the three week fueds that mean nothing.

FreeSpirit

Results:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

* Tiffany introduces Theodore Long. A ECW Championship Scramble Match is announced for Unforgiven. Qualifying matches will be held throughout tonight’s taping.

* Matt Hardy b. John Morrison
- Hardy got the win with Twist of Fate.

* Backstage is Theodore Long, Tiffany, and Mark Henry. Mark is upset about being in the scramble. Teddy informs him that one, two, or three belts could change hands -- could his be one?

* The Miz b. Evan Bourne
- The Miz earns a spot in the scramble at Unforgiven.

* Chavo Guerrero b. Tommy Dreamer
- Chavo gets the win with a frog splash. He's now earned a spot in the scramble.

* Finlay b. Mike Knox
- Finlay got the win using his shilelagh. He got the last spot in the scramble. Hornswoggle at ringside to celebrate
Dark Matches:

* D-Lo Brown b. Jake Hager
- D-Lo got the win with the lo down.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
the main events for unforgiven isn't that in 3 weeks?
How is that a 3 week feud?

The whole idea of the championship scramble is because of the little build.So you take existing feuds and develop them into the scramble.

Cena/Batista,Batista/Kane,Batista/CM Punk,CM Punk/JBL,JBL/Cena,CM Punk/Kane.

All of the above feuds have been going on all summer and the scramble has worked all of them into the one match.So you could argue you have more build then for the majority of feuds anywhere.Sure Cena's injured now but that's hardly The WWE creatives fault is it?And even now you can work the Kane/Rey angle along with the Batista friend of Rey thing.

Sure the Smackdown one is different.But the good thing is they have gone down the open competition route.Which is the better idea then wrestler A attacking Triple H so they have a 3 week build for the PPV then it's forgotten.And with the continuing Great Khali interaction it looks like there's something more coming there.

Of course all that is irrelevant as I asked what are these 3 week feuds you are talking about as you talk as if it is the norm when off hand I cant think of any this year.And you named ongoing feuds which is pretty silly as how do you know there not going to continue after Unforgiven.It would be like me saying 3 weeks after the Booker T/Joe thing started.Oh TNA have 3 week builds it doesn't make sense.

Jayfunk

How is that a 3 week feud?

The whole idea of the championship scramble is because of the little build.So you take existing feuds and develop them into the scramble.

Cena/Batista,Batista/Kane,Batista/CM Punk,CM Punk/JBL,JBL/Cena,CM Punk/Kane.

All of the above feuds have been going on all summer and the scramble has worked all of them into the one match.So you could argue you have more build then for the majority of feuds anywhere.Sure Cena's injured now but that's hardly The WWE creatives fault is it?And even now you can work the Kane/Rey angle along with the Batista friend of Rey thing.

Sure the Smackdown one is different.But the good thing is they have gone down the open competition route.Which is the better idea then wrestler A attacking Triple H so they have a 3 week build for the PPV then it's forgotten.And with the continuing Great Khali interaction it looks like there's something more coming there.

Of course all that is irrelevant as I asked what are these 3 week feuds you are talking about as you talk as if it is the norm when off hand I cant think of any this year.And you named ongoing feuds which is pretty silly as how do you know there not going to continue after Unforgiven.It would be like me saying 3 weeks after the Booker T/Joe thing started.Oh TNA have 3 week builds it doesn't make sense.
Of not excalty a 3 weeks but but still really short and pointless HHH/Khali.

But then again its a problem with the 12 PPV's pa system of rushing fued and not giving them time

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
Of not excalty a 3 weeks but but still really short and pointless HHH/Khali.

But then again its a problem with the 12 PPV's pa system of rushing fued and not giving them time
Yeah Khali/Triple H was the only short made to measure feud I could think of even if pedantically it was longer then 3 weeks.You can see why though Khali's knees are apparently on the way out so The WWE are using him while they can taking advantage of what he can offer and his hero status in India.But you can say that the feud hasn't finished yet as they are still interacting the two so that's what 6 or 7 weeks already.

As for the number of PPV's,that's a different debate and sure I would have less as well.Although I see why they have the number they do.But it's not something the creative team have control over,they are just booking the matches and who knows this championship scramble could be a theme being tested for a yearly PPV slot.

Jimmy Redman

Matt/Jo-Mo (Striker) was a really good match. Surprised that Chavo is in ahead of Morrison, I thought it served for easy tension and playing up the match between Morrison and Miz. That, and I dont like Chavo. Oh well. Other than that everything was as could be expected.

Tiffany, T-Lo and T-Lo's entrance music all made ECW a much better show. I really like to think that Tiffany really did call the McMahons 'playas'. Mark Henry speaking and Tony Atlas being the awesomest back-up ever was also quite good. What else makes a good ECW is the absence of Armando Estrada. A+ for everything.

We really do need to keep a tally of the new nicknames Striker dreams up for Morrison every week. He's like the JBL to Morrison's MVP.

And the main event was Knox's best match by the Finlay Default Rule. Mike Knox - YOUR TV main eventer. Yeesh. It wasnt bad at all, dont get me wrong, but, like, Mike Knox. Main event. Yeesh.

Nemesis Enforcer

Really likd the show this week

Lots of in ring action pleased me, I did want Evan Borne to win and go into the Championship Scramble though, that would have been great

DC

Miz's counter to Evan's top-rope Frankensteiner was stunning.