Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 24th June 2008

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Toyota Center - Houston, Texas

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 24th June on Sci Fi at 10/9c - LIVE
UK: Friday 27th June on Sky Sports 3 at 12.30am

Explosive Encounter
24th June 2008

Just one night after the Chairman gave away another $1 million to some of our most devout fans in McMahon's Million Dollar Mania on Raw, ECW Champion Kane and his Night of Champions challenger Big Show met in a heated exchange. The two titans aligned long enough to deliver a double-chokeslam to Mark Henry, but questions remain. Will Big Show's tremendous momentum be enough to roll over the Big Red Machine? Or will Kane send the World's Largest Athlete down in flames?

In an outrageously entertaining bout, Hornswoggle defeated Armando Estrada, pulling out all the stops, as well as the marbles, squirt guns, and a devious brawler from Belfast who loves to fight. After Estrada botched yet another opportunity to earn his contract from newly-appointed ECW General Manager Theodore Long, have the chances finally run out for the former GM?

Putting his own exclamation point on the newest chapter of a long standing rivalry, Mr. Money in the Bank CM Punk defeated WWE Tag Team Champion John Morrison. Could Morrison and his partner The Miz suffer a similar fate at Night of Championships in their title match against Finlay and Hornswoggle? Or will the Shaman of Sexy and the self-proclaimed Chick Magnet hold on to their coveted gold?

ECW's electrifying newcomer, Evan Bourne, took another step closer to finding his ECW identity, earning his first singles victory over Matt Striker. But the real fireworks began after the bell when Mike Knox assaulted Bourne in retaliation for his loss last week in tag team action. How will the Bourne find retribution for this brutal sneak attack?

Before being able to play out his match against Knox, Kofi Kingston was also attacked, by ECW's Gold Standard, Shelton Benjamin. Week after week, this vicious rivalry becomes more and more intense. Will it be long before the powder keg between these two great athletes explodes?

Find out the answers to all of these questions and more on the next ECW this Friday at 12.30am (after Thursday's 3 hour RAW encore)!

Black Knight

Nick's ECW Review 6-24-08: "The Abominable Adamle"

What's up wrestling fans? We're 24 hours removed from the 2008 WWE Draft Lottery and it's time to take a look at ECW on Sci-Fi, a show which was virtually uneffected by the annual brand shuffle. Tonight's show was excellent in my opinion, 2 great matches along with two solid matches made for a fast paced, smooth running hour of exciting wrestling. Well, maybe not that smooth. Mike Adamle gave one of his worst performances behind the booth tonight, and although I have tried to lay off him for the past few weeks and concentrate on the show itself, I could not turn a blind eye tonight-or should I say blind ear? He was an absolute mess tonight, and it didn't help that Tazz wasn't much better. Chewed words, wrong names, bad timing, overlapping of commentary, cliche and cheesy lines, and a plain lack of sense and logic made this one of the worst broadcasts I've ever heard an announcing duo ever give, and yes, I include Tenay and West in that statement. Maybe I'm still reeling somewhat over the loss of JR on Raw, but if you're going to split up an announce team, how do explain it being Ross and Lawler and not Tazz and Adamle? I am beyond confused.

I don't want to let the absurdity of the announce table, however, tarnish my memory of what was otherwise a really fun show. We started tonight with a tag match featuring ECW's newest (and only) acquisition Matt Hardy and his partner CM Punk vs Miz and Morrison. This was a great opening bout. Miz and Morrison work better together every week, and are becoming the workhorses of the tag division in WWE. Punk and Hardy tagged well together too, and the match saw Hardy pick up the pin after hitting the Twist of Fate on Morrison. Out of a possible 9 stars, I give this opening match 7 stars.

This was followed by Kofi Kingston vs Shelton Benjamin in an Extreme Rules match. This might be the blow-off to their program, and while I hope it is not, it would be a fitting way to go out. These two had a hard hitting, intense extreme rules match that saw everything from technical wrestling to garbage spots. My only criticism here would be that they over-used the garbage cans. I am not a fan of garbage cans/lids in a hardcore environment. They don't do that much damage, and if you go into the kitchen and hit yourself in the head with a cookie sheet, you'll understand what I mean. They make a great sound, but don't really hurt. That simple. If you're going to get extreme, change it up a bit. Throw in a chair, a table, or a Kendo stick here or there. But the monotony of the garbage cans became a bit stale after awhile. Other than that, however, these two had a great contest. 7.5 Stars.

After a brief package running down Night of Champions this Sunday night, next up we have Mike Knox vs Evan Bourne. This was a short match, but both guys worked really well together. Knox hit some great power stuff with a winning sequence consisting of a brutal back breaker followed by the Knox Out. Bourne was great as usual, and although this match was too short for my liking, the two worked very hard. 5.5 Stars.

Back from break and Big Show makes his way to ringside and eventually to the announce table where he joins Tazz and Assamle. This brings us to our main event of the evening Kane vs Mark Henry. I have to hand it to Henry, he actually pulled off two decent matches in two consecutive outings. Not a huge deal for anyone else, but a huge deal for this huge mess of a wrestler. Kane looked good in this bout as well, hitting an Inziguri and a low drop kick that you don't usually see him utilize. This was again a short match, but the pacing was such that it didn't need to be very long to be effective. My problem was the finish. Having Henry go over Kane 5 days before a Championship match against Big Show doesn't speak too highly of the ECW Champ. Although it was played off as Big Show assisting Henry by distracting Kane, it really didn't come off that clear to me, and looked more like Kane simply got beat. I think the champion should have more steam going into an important PPV bout just days later. 5 Stars.

Overall, this was a solid show from start to finish. ECW always comes through for me because its formula is very simple. It allows the wrestlers to do their jobs without interference from unnecessary storylines or lengthy promos. I give tonight's edition of ECW 6.5 out of 9 stars.

Nick's Notes:
-Weren't Punk and Kane just drafted to Raw? Why were they on ECW? Most likely because ECW doesn't have much of a roster anymore. If that's the case then why draft them away from the show to begin with and replace them with one guy?

-Adamle, if you're going to use that ridiculous phrase "unos, dos, adios" at least say it right. Its "Uno, dos, adios." There's no such thing as unos. Why? Because there's no plural of one. That's why they created other numbers.

-Mike Knox's beard looks like it has grown a beard.

-During the extreme rules match Tazz said, "It looks like I-95 out here!" What does that mean? Does I-95 have people hitting each other with garbage can lids on a regular basis? Again, let's try to make a little sense here.

-Wait, did Mark Henry win tonight? The world will end tomorrow. Mark my words.

-There IS a supplemental draft tomorrow at noon on WWE.com, so be sure to check that out. Hopefully ECW will fare better this time around, because it would be nice to see some more exclusive talent on the brand each week.

Thanks for reading and be sure to send all feedback to VOWNick@gmail.com

Jimmy Redman

KANE DID AN ENZIGURI. Just in case that didnt sink in. Pretty nifty one too.

As the spoilers say, not a bad match on the card. ECW has been pretty good for a while, and this week's was heaps good.

The camera cutting to WWE Sign Guy doing the stuttered "V1" sign as TLo said "Matt Hardy~~" was cool as hell. Matt and Punk together is well fun, good match. The bit where Punk tags to Matt with Morrison selling it (you'll know when you watch) was great.

Me said:
Hopefully ECW follows the SD logic train and they can blow it off with an Extreme Rules match.
I rule. Pretty cool match too, only beef is like spoilerman says, the garbage cans, and the slowness of extreme matches, which looked strange with Kofi and Shelton. Kofi's comeback was cool. His new rope trick is strange, but I like it. I thoroughly approve of this feud, just a nifty little thing which progressed logically with a good payoff. And as I've said, it has given Kofi a bit of nasty, which is good for him.

I am mighty p*ssed that they jobbed Bourne out to Mike f'n Knox already, but as long as they continue with the rookie eventually getting his back, I can deal with it. They still have Sydal just doing crazy (for WWE) wrestling, which has got to be good.

Big Show talks a whole lot on commentary, but he also talks a whole lot of sense. I liked him approving of the Mizark bearhug all "That will stop him breathing, that will help me on Sunday." I didnt see the interference at first so I thought it was a clean win, which was a bit odd, but distraction makes sense in hindsight. I've read that Mark Henry has been added to the match, which is awfully logical. I sooo want him to win the belt. Go big man!

My only beef with the show was Sydal losing and the lack of Tiffany. Other than that it was great.

Phil

How come Kanes enziguri-of-doom was completely glossed over by the commentators, it was left to Big show to make a comment about 3 minutes after it happened, awful!

Nemesis Enforcer

That ENZIGURI~! that Kane hit was brutal, I was in shock when I saw his leave his feet for it bets thing Kane has done in a long time now!

I am also loving Matt Sydel (can't bring myself to using his WWE name for some reason lol) he has been the best thing about ECW since he came in, too bad he is in a feud with the useless lump that is Mike Knox, why not have him against some of the smaller guys where they can put on some old school ECW high flying spectacular matches rarther then being beaten down by someone who outweighs him by about 100lbs?!

DC

I did like the finish sequence for the Knox/Bourne match... and Knox really knows how to hit his finisher.

DC

Kane's done it before, so I don't see what the big deal is (apart from the impact, which did look very stiff).

I can understand where you're coming from (with him being a power/brawler), but it seems that sometimes the big guys can't win.

On the one hand, you get some people who complain that they do the "same old sh*t" over and over, yet when they do try something different (and Big Show has done missile-dropkicks in the past), they get criticism for that as well.

It reminds me of the crap Big Show and Kane got from some quarters when they decided to throw in some chain wrestling during their feud.

Last edited: