Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 23rd September 2008

What Did You Think of the 120'th Edition of ECW on Sci-Fi?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Nationwide Arena - Columbus, Ohio

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 23rd September on Sci Fi at 10/9c
UK: Thursday 25th September on Sky Sports 3 at 11.30pm

The Extreme Road To No Mercy
23rd September 2008

With the ECW Title Match at No Mercy just weeks away, both ECW Champion Matt Hardy and his challenger, Mark Henry, have been gaining the positive momentum they need for victory.

On ECW, a vengeful Henry defeated Finlay with a World's Strongest Slam after the Belfast Brawler hit him with the shillelagh for the second week in a row. The World's Strongest Man – who was never pinned, but still lost the ECW Title in the ECW Championship Scramble Match at Unforgiven – has clearly been sending a message, week after week, to his No Mercy opponent, Hardy. Will anyone attempt to get in the path of Henry on his quest for ECW's top prize at No Mercy? Can any Superstar stop The World's Strongest Man? Will Henry be able to take back the ECW Championship from Hardy at No Mercy?

ECW Champ Hardy pinned Mike Knox for the second week in a row on ECW. With each Twist of Fate, Hardy proves again and again why he holds Extreme gold. But will Hardy – who has said he wants to be ECW's greatest champion – be able to retain the title at No Mercy when he faces Henry? What challenges will the strong-willed Superstar face on his way to defending the ECW Championship?

"The All-American American" Jack Swagger, who joined ECW as part of General Manager Theodore Long's New Superstar Initiative, has bumped his record to 2-0 after a victory over Chase Stevens. How does this cocky, young athlete plan make his mark in the Land of the Extreme? Will another ECW Superstar be able to snap Swagger's winning streak?

Finally, Ricky Ortiz stood in Evan Bourne's corner last week, as the young, high-flier faced off with The Miz, accompanied by John Morrison. Bourne, who recently sparked a rivalry with the "Dirt Sheet" hosts, gained the upper hand on ECW. Morrison's interference in the match backfired as he was attacked by Ortiz, leading The Miz to be distracted long enough for Bourne to roll up the self-proclaimed "Chick Magnet" for the win. Will the former WWE Tag Team Champions continue to battle Bourne? Will they also attempt to face other members of ECW's New Superstar Initiative? With the undefeated Ortiz be on his side, is "Air" Bourne unstoppable?

Find out the answers to these questions and more on ECW this Thursday Night at 11.30pm on Sky Sports 3!

Last edited:

DC

According to JR's blog, Todd Grisham has a family tragedy, so won't be at the ECW taping. Jim Ross himself will be calling the action, so it'll be interesting to see how he works with Matt Stiker.

Paul

That has me more interested in the show than the preview bit. :lol:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

ECW:

* Jim Ross and Matt Striker are announced as the commentators.

* The Miz & John Morrison come out to open the show. They shoot on Evan Bourne then Teddy Long. Teddy comes out...

Ricky Ortiz comes out and challenges The Miz and Morrison. Teddy says that The Miz will take on John Morrison tonight and the winner will face Ricky.

* Ricky Ortiz is shown backstage talking the match over with Teddy Long and flirting with Tiffany.

* Finlay (w/Hornswoggle) b. Bam Neely
- Finlay gets the win after Hornswoggle gives him his shillelagh and hits Neely.

* Maryse b. Michelle McCool
- Maryse got the win after hitting a DDT.

* Mark Henry cuts a promo on Matt Hardy.

* Mike Knox b. Chase Stevens in a squash match.
- After the match Jake Swagger comes out and attacks Stevens. Dreamer comes out and makes the save. Knox distracts Dreamer and is attacked by Swagger. Dreamer & Stevens are left laying in the ring.

* John Morrison vs. The Miz
- The match ends in a double count out as both Morrison and The Miz fell off the top rope. After the match Ricky Ortiz came out and attacked them both. That concludes ECW.

TPIB

I thought it weird how the ECW Champion did not even appear on the ECW show. Also, with no Evan Bourne, there was almost no reason to watch.

Nice to see WWE found a more talented jobber for Dreamer to "coach" than Colin Delaney in Chase Stevens.

HutchyRSJ

I was actually glad that Hardy and Bourne werent at the show ( never expected to say that ) but they actually gace other stars the spotlight and gave them the chance to carry the show , hell Henry was in one segment.
Anyway does anyone else see a story with Ortiz and Tiffany , because when she walked up she said " Take it from me , he is ready" and then when he gave her the towel she said it felt good. Sex on the Job

TPIB

The part where Ortiz is in mid-air and does that motion like someone just hit him in the back with a baseball bat still disturbs me for some reason.

J.R. predicting Knox as being ECW Champion by the end of the year seemed weird to me. Either he is giving away WWE's plans for Knox or it's going to make him look foolish for predicting it. Personally, I don't think it will, nor should it, happen.

I think it's time to split Miz & Morrison. Them operating as a team has ran it's course and now splitting them up seems logical to me; especially since they're not even in the tag title picture anymore. If they do split, I hope that The Dirt Sheet still runs, even if it's just with Morrison. He's always been the MVP of the team anyways.

DC

J.R. predicting Knox as being ECW Champion by the end of the year seemed weird to me. Either he is giving away WWE's plans for Knox or it's going to make him look foolish for predicting it. Personally, I don't think it will, nor should it, happen.
Announcers make predictions like that all the time though.

Jimmy Redman

I enjoyed ECW a hell of a lot. TV has been really good this week so far.

Miz and Morrison are great. Teddy Long's music and him busting out "get to steppin" ruled. Ricky Ortiz...eh. Tiffany loses points for the first time in her career for being interested in Ortiz.

Maryse v Michelle was at least as good as their Smackdown match, and yes, that is a good thing. Michelle absolutely killed her with spears and punches from the mount to start, that was great. I love Maryse's DDT.

Mark Henry speaking rules. I hate to say it, but Mike Knox is slowly but surely getting better. He KILLED Chase Stevens with a clothesline, so much that I audibly gasped, then rewound and watched it again about 5 times. Jack Swagger's powerbomb looks really really good. Wrestling is lacking powerbombs.

Miz v Morrison was really quite good. The crowd wasnt totally dead, which always helps. You can tell in these situations that they were comfortable working with each other and had no trouble making each other look good. Good match. The ending would have looked better had they contrived the double count out and beat up Ricky. All during the count I was expecting them to wink or something. Ricky...eh.

BUT, most importantly, JR and Striker RULE THE WORLD together. I'm now definitely wishing for Tazz and Striker to swap permanently.