Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 22nd April 2008

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, North Carolina

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 22nd April on Sci Fi at 10/9c - LIVE
UK: Friday 25th April on Sky Sports 3 at 12.30am

Paving The Way To Backlash
22nd April 2008

With Backlash less than two weeks away, ECW Champion Kane has begun building momentum, thanks in part to some help from a fellow champion – and family member. The Brothers of Destruction, Kane & World Heavyweight Champion Undertaker, were victorious over The Miz & John Morrison on the last ECW, demolishing the WWE Tag Team Champions.

But when Kane defends the ECW title against Chavo Guerrero at Backlash, the Big Red Machine won't have his brother with him in the ring. How will Kane fare in the days leading to Backlash? How will Guerrero enlist the help of his new bodyguard, Bam Neely, as he tries to win back ECW gold?

Kofi Kingston's winning streak also continued last week, as he led his team of CM Punk, Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore to victory in an Eight-Man Tag Team Match against Deuce, Domino, Shelton Benjamin & Elijah Burke. The Jamaican Superstar has been blazing a path through every challenger he meets; who will step up to challenge Kingston next? Will anyone be able to stop the Jamaican sensation?

In other ECW action, Mike Knox continued his winning ways in London. Under ECW General Manager Armando Estrada's watchful eye, Knox was victorious over Colin Delaney, who was once again fighting for a WWE contract. The youngster wasn't able to enlist the aid of ECW Original Tommy Dreamer this week, as his bad luck continues. Will Delaney's fortune eventually turn around? Will he ever earn a WWE contract?

Find out the answers to these questions and more on ECW at 12.30am on Sky Sports 3 (after Thursday's 3 Hour RAW encore)!

TPIB

ECW sucks every week (including this one), so it's not even worth discussing anymore. However, I would like to note that next week's ECW will be the 100'th episode of ECW on Sci-Fi. On WWE Mobile, Armando Estrada revealed some big plans for Mike Knox on Episode 100 next week.

Nemesis Enforcer

I won't see ECW until Thursday so don't know how he did on commentery this week but this made me laugh:

A Dot Net reader who wishes to remain anonymous passed along the following observations from tonight's Smackdown/ECW tapings in Greensboro, N.C..

- Before the ECW taping in Greensboro, N.C. tonight, security confiscated at least three "Fire Mike Adamle" signs.

- After the ECW taping concluded, Adamle remained seated at the announcers desk for several minutes. He appeared to have no idea that he was supposed to leave the ringside area. Michael Cole and Jonathan Coachman came out by the time Adamle got up to head backstage. He was so late leaving that Edge's entrance music was playing for his appearance on Smackdown while Adamle was still walking to the backstage area.

Powell's POV: I think I got all the facts straight, but I must admit that the person I spoke with was laughing so hard over Adamle hanging out at ringside too long that I may have missed out on a detail or two.
Credit: ProWrestling.net

TPIB

Well, they didn't get all of the signs, because I saw a fan hold up a "Fire Adamle" sign. It was covered by the camera angle, but I later saw it next to the person sitting on the steps. I think it's hilarious that Adamle is that ignorant. At least he stayed quiet for the most part this week. I won't spoil it for you, but Miz comments on Adamle when he joins in for some guest commentary. It was pretty funny. Given that it was only his second week as an announcer, I will give him some credit and say that he may get better over time. We'll see if he gets better after a month or so of commentating. If he still sucks, WWE should fire him. I don't know why they hired him in the first place, not to mention what they are paying him.

Nemesis Enforcer

ECW on Sci-Fi drew a 1.2 rating, which is down from the 1.3 rating the show has drawn in each of the last five weeks. It was announced on Sci-Fi last night that the replay of last week's broadcast with Mike Adamle as the play-by-play voice was downloaded by a record 155,000 users via the WWE website.

Powell's POV: The actual rating was a 1.16, which is down from last week's 1.34 rating. In other words, the rating dipped significantly. I'm somewhat surprised as I expected there to be more curiosity regarding Adamle. By the way, WWE.com can deduct three users from their download count. I tried to relive the greatness that was Adamle's debut last week, but I got stuck watching the same commercial three times and the show never played.
Credit: Prowrestling.net

DC

Anyone blaming Adamle for staying around after the taping should be directing their comments elsewhere.

If Adamle (who is super-new to the business) didn't know he had to leave, then someone should have told him instead of letting him sit out there. I'm sure someone could have said into his headset, or Tazz could have had a word as he got up to leave.

As much as he has no talent for the gig at the moment, he is not at fault for that.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Anyone blaming Adamle for staying around after the taping should be directing their comments elsewhere.

If Adamle (who is super-new to the business) didn't know he had to leave, then someone should have told him instead of letting him sit out there. I'm sure someone could have said into his headset, or Tazz could have had a word as he got up to leave.

As much as he has no talent for the gig at the moment, he is not at fault for that.
Yeah, it seems a bit odd that Taz apparently just got up in total silence and walked off without wondering, or caring what Aamle was doing.

Jimmy Redman

I'm sure the fact that Adamle stayed at ringside for a while is true as people in the crowd would have seen it happen, and hence reported it in. However there was probably a reason. Who cares, really.

He does sound ignorant, especially as he cant call any of the moves he sees. I gotta give Tazz credit though, he's trying really hard to carry him and call the moves. Adamle will get better, I'm not too fussed yet.

And my highlight of ECW was Miz and Morrison after the loss.

Miz: You lost!
Morrison: Well hello Captain Obvious! Thank you!

And I thought the Cutting Edge was pretty cool actually. Always tended to enjoy Edge being sh*t-scared of Kane.

Nemesis Enforcer

I still haven't seen this show yet, caught a bit of it on Thursday but still have to watch it all the way through from the bit I did see though Ademle seemed to be making very long pauses at the start of the show between comments

Wonder if they were feeding him things to say via his headset hence the pauses?