Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

ECW Discussion Thread - 17th June 2008

FreeSpirit

Preview & Spoilers:

Preview:

Venue:
The H.P Pavillion - San Jose, California

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 17th June on Sci Fi at 10/9c
UK: Friday 20th June on Sky Sports 3 at 12am

Duos, Duels & Debuts
17th June 2008

WWE Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison continue to emerge victorious. They managed to retain their gold last week against ECW Champion Kane and Mr. Money in the Bank, CM Punk. Is there a team on the SmackDown or ECW rosters that can defeat the duo? With the damage Miz and Morrison caused to Punk’s ribs, when will he recover and cash in his Money in the Bank privileges? And with the 2008 Draft right around the corner, will there soon be new teams focused on winning the tag team gold?

The Big Red Machine's latest loss may provide him with more fuel for his upcoming match against Big Show at Night of Champions. The two met on ECW in a staredown after the World's Largest Athlete declared that he will defeat Kane in just over two weeks. Will Big Show be able to back up his words at the upcoming pay-per-view? And how will these two monsters manage in the meantime?

Speaking of monsters, the World's Strongest Man Mark Henry is counting on Big Show to be successful at Night of Champions so that he may vie to be the No. 1 contender for the ECW Championship. Will he get his wish?

Former ECW General Manager Armando Estrada received three chances last week from newly-appointed GM Theodore Long to earn an ECW contract. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful, leaving him to wonder if future chances will yield better results.

Also on ECW, Victoria prevailed over Kelly Kelly in a fierce bout as all of the ECW and SmackDown Divas look forward to more details about the new WWE Divas Championship.

Evan Bourne made a powerful debut on ECW by pinning Mike Knox for the win. The Tag Team Match – Shelton Benjamin & Mike Knox vs. Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne – certainly brought the rivalry between the Jamaican Superstar and the Golden Standard to the forefront. Will Bourne continue his winning ways? And what will happen between Benjamin and Kingston this coming week on ECW?

Tune in to find out the answers to these questions and more on ECW this Friday at 12am (after Thursday's encore of RAW)!
Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlingobserver.com

Hornswoggle b Armando Estrada when Finlay came from under the ring to interfere. This was a comedy match with super soakers and the like

Evan Bourne b Matt Striker

Kofi Kingston NC Mike Knox when Shelton Benjamin interfered

C.M. Punk b John Morrison

Show ended with a face-off between Big Show (whose eye looked considerably improved from last week) and Kane. Mark Henry came out. Good this wasn't live because his mic didn't work. Teddy Long ran out and gave him a mic and it should be an easy and smooth cut on television. Henry said if he's not drafted to Raw he wants an ECW title shot at the winner. Show ended with Kane and Show giving Henry a double-team choke slam

Last edited:

DarkMatchJobber

Damn WWE and their awful booking of Armando Estrada....firstly we know the guy is charismatic and can talk then we find out he's got a ripped physique and looks totally badass and now he's jobbing to Delaney,Hornswoggle and anyone else who happens to be nearby????

Bryp13

Oh come on, first Big Show wants a title shot now Mark Henry! Why would WWE have mark henry and Kane against each other again after seeing there boring lumberjack match at One Night Stand 2007.

DC

Because they are two big men who look like they could rip you apart without a second thought. The talent level has nothing to do with it (even though I don't think Mark Henry is anywhere near as bad as some people make him out to be).

BlackEyed

I really enjoyed the Matt Stirker vs Evan Bourne match...Matt Striker actually looked half-decent.
It's probably just me, but I prefer watching ECW and SD to Raw now...I can barely sit through an entire episode of it

Jimmy Redman

ECW was GREAT this week. Nothing I didnt like and nothing which didnt have a purpose.

- Hornswoggle over Armando was fun. I usually like Horny comedy matches to be honest, and I'm definitely in the mood for them now. Pulling Finlay from under the ring was cool. I cant stand Armando as a wrestler so I dont care about him being jobbed out.

- Matt Striker - there's a face I've not seen in a while. The match was good, they really need to let Sydal do his thing for a while and just get over that way, its too easy. PERFECT Shooting Star Press, wasnt that move banned a few years ago? Crazy WWE and their memories. A feud with Mike Knox isnt exactly going to set the world on fire, but its a decent way to start him off I guess.

- I really like the Kofi/Shelton feud. Again, Kofi jumping from inside to outside to the top turnbuckle rules. I approve of Kofi and Shelton brawling a lot, Kofi needs a bit of nasty. Hopefully ECW follows the SD logic train and they can blow it off with an Extreme Rules match.

- TIFFANY is my new hero, for two reasons.

1. She called Horswoggle 'Horny' on TV!
2. "Horny, if you sign this, you and Finlay will face The Miz and John Morrison AND the WWE Tag Titles at Night of Champions!" Fancy them changing it to a three-way! I hope the straps are decent workers.

- Wicked shillelagh shot to Miz backstage too.

- Punk v Morrison was pretty good, picking up a hell of a lot for the end. Morrison has improved immeasurably in the ring. Punk is dangerously close to Cena-territory of being beat down the entire match and winning with a finish out of nowhere, which looks like crapsticks. Its been said before, but Punk's heat vanishes between his entrance and the GTS. It shouldnt be that way. He needs some freakin' offense. I understand if he's up against a big man like Kane, but being squashed by John Morrison? Frustrating.

- End segment was...OK. I marked out majorly for Mizark. No sign of the technical difficulties mentioned in the spoilers. I cant imagine what match would be worse, Show/Kane, Kane/Henry, or Show/Henry. Nevertheless, I love Smilin' Mark Henry, I wont begrudge him an ECW Title shot.

- Adamle is improving in bits and pieces. At times he's still shocking, but at others he's decent. I like how him and Tazz talk about the effects on muscles and "core strength" and stuff. And his dated references > Mick Foley's dated references.

- Forgot to mention that halfway through the show, right before a commercial there was a graphic saying "ECW is the highest rated program on Sci Fi in all key demographics". Lolz. The more you know..

Last edited:

Nemesis Enforcer

ECW did a 1.0 this week in the ratings and got one of its lowest audiance numbers ever, but it faced stiff compertition form the final Basketball play-off game which almost certainly contribued to the low viewer number

Nemesis Enforcer

The rating went down from 1.1 to 1.0 but the actual amount of people watching to achive that 1.0 was the lowest number of viewers its ever gotten in its normal Tuesday night slot 1,441,000, that is being attributed by loads of news sites as being due to the compertition it faced from the Basketball which took parts of ECW's regular audiance and caused the show to drop below the norm it gets watched by weekly

DC

I agree about Matt Sydal. So long as they don't go and start jobbing him to all and sundry in a couple of weeks, I feel he would be a good focal point to build a new Cruiserweight division around.

I know WWE won't, but having all the CW wrestlers allowed (more or less) a free reign to do whatever they can do would capture the fans imagination. They could even make a deal that the agents/office allow the CWs to do all their high-flying stuff (as the CWs will say no-one should get hurt), but if one wrestler gets hurt by botched offence, then they go back to the way it is just now.

I think that would be a fair scenario.

Jimmy Redman

I agree about Matt Sydal. So long as they don't go and start jobbing him to all and sundry in a couple of weeks, I feel he would be a good focal point to build a new Cruiserweight division around.

I know WWE won't, but having all the CW wrestlers allowed (more or less) a free reign to do whatever they can do would capture the fans imagination. They could even make a deal that the agents/office allow the CWs to do all their high-flying stuff (as the CWs will say no-one should get hurt), but if one wrestler gets hurt by botched offence, then they go back to the way it is just now.

I think that would be a fair scenario.
I'd put my house on WWE not bringing the cruiser division back anytime soon.

One more thing I forgot to mention about ECW, was Finlay making fun of Tazz's height when they were standing next to each other and looked almost the same size, was quite amusing.