Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

***ECW Discussion Thread - 13th January 2009***

What Did You Think of the 136th Edition of ECW on Sci-Fi?

• Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average

• Poor

• Did Not See The Show

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Tyson Events Center - Sioux City, Iowa

TV Schedule:
USA: Tuesday 13th January on Sci Fi at 9/8c
UK: Thursday 15th January on Sky Sports 3 at 11.30pm

As SmackDown has a double taping this week, ECW will be taped before RAW this Monday Night in Sioux City, Iowa!
Matches:

*ECW Title Match
Matt Hardy (Champion) Vs Jack Swagger

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

WWE taped this week's edition of ECW from the Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, Iowa.

ECW: (Airing This Week)
* DJ Gabriel & Alicia Fox b. Paul Burchill & Katie Lea

* Tommy Dreamer promo about wanting to win the ECW Championship.

* Boogeyman b. Sammy ? in a squash match

* Jack Swagger b. Matt Hardy to win the ECW Championship.
- Jack got the win after throwing Matt into an exposed turnbuckle.

* Tommy Dreamer says that if he doesn't win the ECW Championship by June, he'll retire.
Dark Match:

* Kofi Kingston b. Mark Henry
- Kofi gets the win via pinfall.

DarkMatchJobber

Tommy Dreamer retiring would be great but unfortunately he will probably become ECW World Champion now that the heel Jack Swagger holds it.

JamesMXPX

June is One Night Stand I think, so he'll probably win it.

Although, Swagger (L). And I think that means Hardy will be on Smackdown most of the time, with the Jeff stuff going on.

TPIB

One Night Stand is on June 7, so probably not then, unless they redo the angle.

I don't expect Swagger to have a long title reign for some reason.

For anyone who is a statistic buff, this is the first title change of 2009. Also, this is the second year in a row that the ECW Title has changed hands in January and this time was a week away from being a day away from Chavo Guerrero beating CM Punk for the ECW Title on January 22 of last year.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

Swagger/Matt was a damn good match. The last 5 or so minutes with all of the near falls was great. From the way they've built him up I kept getting the feeling that he could win, but still, Swagger winning fairly clean (for whatever reason they never punish exposed turnbuckle shots) still surprised me. Also must say that the video packages, the constant talk and the title introductions all make a match like this seem important, so well done. The opening promo in particular was cool, and something they should use more often when there's a title match on TV.

The rest of the show was nothing. Watching it, you felt like they had the main event booked, and then just had to find stuff to fill up the first half-hour. I dont think I can ever forgive Tiffany for wanting to kiss Ricky Ortiz.

TPIB

WrestleZone.com is reporting a 1.1 Rating for this week's ECW, which is down from last week's 1.4. That seems backwards to me. You would think that the rating would go up with a much-anticipated ECW Title Match confirmed a week ahead of time. Instead the higher rating goes to a much poorer show last week. I don't get it.

I can't believe "the powers that be" brought Ricky Ortiz to the main roster and that he is still there! He is all sorts of awful.

I really hope Dreamer does get the ECW Title. He deserves at least that for what he's had to endure. That is being a part of a crappy version of the company he gave and owes his life to.. Not to mention how many times he's had to job to less-talented wrestlers.

I think Matt will get his rematch for the title at the Royal Rumble and lose and then I think he will (and should) take some time off to heal from the injuries he seems to be wrestling with (allegedly).

Last edited:

Da Showstoppa

Katie Lea loses again :sadtears: I have the unshakable feeling that Paul Burchill is on the edge of being released, and a worse feeling Katie will be dragged with him. Still if Katie Lea does get released maybe she'll get better ringtime and freedom in TNA. (Who would be well aware of her indy and OVW work)

I get the impression Paul isn't trying any more.

Jayfunk

Katie Lea loses again I have the unshakable feeling that Paul Burchill is on the edge of being released, and a worse feeling Katie will be dragged with him. Still if Katie Lea does get released maybe she'll get better ringtime and freedom in TNA. (Who would be well aware of her indy and OVW work)
That would be awesome get her back in shimmer. Her time in that promotion was far to short. Her two matches against Lacey and Daise Haze were probably better matches than she has had in the WWE (pity Vol 5 and Vol 6 were the worst volumes from a production values side). Also if she went to TNA they could build the division around her as the knockouts (aside from TBP) are a more wrestling based division which Lea would find better as wrestling is her strong point.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

I dont think they'll be released at all, they've been moved to another brand and been put on TV straight away with a midcard (for ECW) feud. It looks like they're trying to find something for them to do, for the immediate future at least.

Burchill sucks anyway.

TPIB

I could care less about Paul Burchill, but I do not want Katie Lea to get released. Even a run as Divas Champion would be nice, though she is worthy of a run with the Women's Title.