Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Does CM Punk have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC

Have what you ask? Does CM Punk have "it" to become this incarnation of ECW's version of Rob Van Dam. The guy who gets the pops no matter who he is facing. The guy the fans have came to see. The guy who's name is chanted from the start of the show until the show ends.

I know it's (very) early, but I feel he could be that man. Sabu gets big pops, as does RVD himself, but they have a limited shelf-life now. So do you think CM Punk is the man to carry on the role of being the "Whole F'n Show" in ECW?

The Great Ahmar

I do eblieve that CM Punk is all that! I love his work and think he has the look to be the man in ECW. Like what DC said about the pops he gets, he is very over and that is great.

I really hope WWE don't mess him up!

Charlemagne

his own work is not in question, its that of the wwe. if they just put him in crappy squash matches just because he is popular wont help him at all. ecw really needs to go to 2 hours a week to have a decent show as the hour they've got at the minute just seems rushed and sloppy and doesnt give anyone the chance to impress. punk is a hell of a worker and im sure if ecw does go to 2 hours he could be in the same league as RVD was back in the glory years

Telf

Punk definately has that potential but as others have said; WWE's booking will have a great deal to do with it

He certainly won't ever set the wrestling world on fire like Austin or The Rock; but he become a huge asset to the ECW brand

DC

I dont think so, he doesnt have enough for the marks to latch onto in my opinion.
Which may not be a bad thing, considering the majority of the old ECW audience were not marks, they could be the ones to push Punk to the next level.

The cheers he got when he confronted King Booker on ECW were huge.

MrFill

I don't think he'll be pushed to the main event as it's well known that Vince likes his Champs to be big and covered in muscles, while Punk almost looks like a normal guy.

The Icon

Yeah but there are always some exceptions such as Rey, Bret and HBK. Punk could be one of those.

MrFill

Bret was Champ for a reason - it was during the steroid scandal, so Vince wanted a Champion who wasn't all muscular.

Rey is very muscular for a guy of his size - look at the size of his chest. Not to mention that he was given the belt because of Eddie's death.

HBK was a continuation from Bret - a small Champion.

MrKnow

Bret was Champ for a reason - it was during the steroid scandal, so Vince wanted a Champion who wasn't all muscular.
And with the Wellness program being actively enforced.....Im sure a clean cut, straight edged Champion, would be just what Vince would like to promote as the face of the company

Dave7g

I don't think he'll be pushed to the main event as it's well known that Vince likes his Champs to be big and covered in muscles, while Punk almost looks like a normal guy.
The Big Show is big yes, but those aren't muscles. That is what is called "FAT".

MojoPogo

And with the Wellness program being actively enforced.....Im sure a clean cut, straight edged Champion, would be just what Vince would like to promote as the face of the company
Good call. Been massively impressed with what i've seen of Punk, and i feel he deserves a "bigger" stage. But as has been pointed out before quite correctly, to be a top superstar now depends as much on booking as it does on talent, and thats pretty sad to be honest.

TPIB

I'm all for CM Punk being a World Champion of some sort. Hell, if Rey can be a champion, then Punk can be. I think alot of fans (including myself) like CM Punk because he seems 'genuine', not just a gimmick. I think he actually is Clean Made (I think), so fans have alot of respect for him. He's also made a name for himself in ROH. But, to reiterate, if WWE doesn't pay attention to what the fans want (like they do with Matt Hardy), Punk may be buried. I think if you put Punk & The Hardy Boyz together, you'll have one of the best stables in history (not THE best, but still good).

MojoPogo

I'm all for CM Punk being a World Champion of some sort. Hell, if Rey can be a champion, then Punk can be. I think alot of fans (including myself) like CM Punk because he seems 'genuine', not just a gimmick. I think he actually is Clean Made (I think), so fans have alot of respect for him. He's also made a name for himself in ROH. But, to reiterate, if WWE doesn't pay attention to what the fans want (like they do with Matt Hardy), Punk may be buried. I think if you put Punk & The Hardy Boyz together, you'll have one of the best stables in history (not THE best, but still good).
Its a good idea that, the Hardyz and Punk, but do you think Jeff and CM would get along given Jeff's past history (alledgedly)?

Dave7g

What reason is there to put Punk with the Hardy Boys, what good will that do, they are all on different shows, and Punk has zero history with them. It's like saying, Monty Brown should join with Lashley and Booker T.

rawiswar

CM Punk does have it yes. To say he may not become champion due to his size isn't really true. Look at Austin, The Rock, Chris Jericho, Edge. They have all been champion and at the top of the company at one time, and they are not big, big muscle men like Batista and co.

Punk has the charisma, the intensity, the skills, he has it all. To not make him a major player in ECW would be silly.

MoIJohnnyLee

What reason is there to put Punk with the Hardy Boys, what good will that do, they are all on different shows, and Punk has zero history with them. It's like saying, Monty Brown should join with Lashley and Booker T.

Are you saying that 'cos they are all black? Are you racist? :evil:

I'm joking by the way

JC

Punk is one of the most talented all-rounders in the business. Whether or not WWE bookers make him fulfill the potential that is clearly there (nevermind the hugh pops he gets over every ECW wrestler there is); he's got nothing to prove as far as I'm concerned. I think realisticly I'd love to see him with the IC or US Title. Being World Champ would be a dream IMO.

Dave7g

Are you saying that 'cos they are all black? Are you racist? :evil:

I'm joking by the way
It's just that people think that certain wrestlers should be lumped together for really no reason other than the blatently obvious sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.