Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Do teams still play for the pride?

jack25

I desire to speak from a neutral point of view but as a Chelsea fan, it is hard to fathom or accept yesterday's result. It isn't every weekend that you will hear of a 6-0 scoreline between two big teams. Which begs the question, after all is said and done, do the current crop of players care about team pride?

You may have heard of players producing a lackluster performance, so as to sabotage the manager. Who knows, Sarri may soon be on his way out whereas his counterpart Solksjaer could be on his way to getting a permanent role.

RegentLennox

Sometimes teams just have rough days where so much goes wrong. It may not necessarily be caused by lack of pride. Also, I would not be surprised if Solksjaer got the job permanently.

Last edited:

coleman

The times have changed and in the years to come, club legends may cease to exist. The Manchester City vs Chelsea result aside, a team's display comes down to whether or not the players have adopted to a coach's philosophy. If a run of poor results continues for a while, it is the coach that often gets sacrificed.

jack25

Overall, football has changed. Take a look at how a manager is appointed today with an obvious expectation to deliver results in the shortest time possible. Gone are the days when a coach would stay in a club for more than a decade.

FlyyGurl

I'll admit I am not the biggest soccer fan, but speaking about other team sports, basketball and American football, it has definitely changed over the past couple years. There are so many switches across teams, and players will follow the money rather than stay loyal to a team, so I imagine it is less about the pride now.