Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Disappointing reality show stars

ShadowEdge

Reality show stars put their lives on television for the public to consume...and judge. Have you ever had high hopes for a reality star only to be disappointed by their choices in the end?

I'm surprised that so many of the girls on MTV's Teen Mom got pregnant again so soon. It was like they learned nothing about how stressful it is to juggle parenthood (usually without the father) and personal finances and it's silly since pregnancy is almost always preventable. Even the married couples would be better off had they waited before having more kids. Fighting about finances ruins relationships. Did they learn nothing?

Chuckyy

"High hopes" and "reality star" don't belong in the same sentence. The girls probably got pregnant again as they were hoping to be offered the chance to film the next installation of their show: Watch Me Screw Up My Child's Life: Volume 2.

ShadowEdge

"High hopes" and "reality star" don't belong in the same sentence.
There are classier reality shows that are based on talent like Top Chef, Project Runway, and The Voice. There are also reality shows that aren't as tacky as Teen Mom such as Survivor. But even trashy shows have produced a celebrated star after the fact. For instance, WWE wrestler The Miz got his start on MTV's Real World, so it's not like it's impossible to expect something better in the end.

You do have a very solid point with Teen Mom though and it's an angle I hadn't considered. I figured the teens were engaging in magical thinking and never considered it was more about "this is my brand." I can see that since you mentioned it.

Chuckyy

There are classier reality shows that are based on talent like Top Chef, Project Runway, and The Voice. There are also reality shows that aren't as tacky as Teen Mom such as Survivor. B
Yeah, I actually agree with you. I've watched a couple of reality shows in my time. I used to like watching the one where they race around the world. I can't remember the name at the moment.

DandyMandy

You know what I find disappointing? Big Brother has produced more marriages sprung from showmances than The Bachelor and The Bachelorette combined. I'm not sure which reality show has produced the most marriages. I know MTV's Real World and Road Rules have had a few. Well, I think they have at least.

Has The Voice made anyone famous? I know American Idol has produced two stars that I can remember which are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.