Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Did you watch "The Office"?

Ratings
Did anyone else here watch The Office, with Ricky Gervais as the awful boss? I used to quite enjoy it, and thought it really reflected a lot of what office life is about. Ricky Gervais perfectly played David Brent as the really tactless, silly boss, who isn't really as skilled and effective as he likes to believe he is. But I did feel sad at the end when he lost his job.

Did anyone else feel that certain characters were played to a tee? Was it a true reflection of office life?

Zack T

Ratings
79 1
You're talking about the UK version. I know of it, but I only have watched the US version. On that note, I think some of it was a true representation of office life with how certain characters attitudes were portrayed (Like Stanley or Oscar), but obviously most of the personalities were turned up to 11.

I've heard comparisons from people who've watched both versions of the Office and typically the US version is more popular, and I think that lies a lot on Michael Scott as the boss for most of the series. He was also a very silly boss, kind've a bumbling idiot with flashes of business acumen every once in awhile, but all the same ultimately had a good heart whereas I've heard that Ricky Gervais's boss was generally unlikeable and a jerk, so that's quite a different dynamic to have.

Ratings
I watched the American version and enjoyed it a lot. One of my go-to shows when I really want to laugh. Not everybody likes the type of humor that The Office had in it, but I enjoy it and watch episodes of it on Netflix. I think that what goes on can be a true reflection of office life, but of course they have to exaggerate things and make them really over the top for the show, but you get the point. You know a lot of the material is coming from real life, only magnified.
For whatever reason I didn't know until now about the UK version. Now I can't wait to start watching some of those episodes as well.

Ratings
Yes, I had heard that there was a US version, but I have never seen it.

Your are right, @Zack T , that Ricky Gervais's boss was generally unlikeable, though he did have the odd flashes of humanity. He seemed to excel at inappropriate humour, which really made the viewer wince, or at least it made me wince. I am not so sure that The Office would be as well received now as it was then.

I must take a look at the US version and see how it compares.

Zack T

Ratings
79 1
There was plenty of inappropriate humor in the US version, Michael Scott was a big time proponent of the "That's what she said" joke, as well as plenty of other adult humor or just silly humor. It's a fun show.

The first 6 episodes of US The Office are kind've slow, but once you get past those, it's like the show quality goes from 5/10 to 10/10, it's amazing.

Ratings
There was plenty of inappropriate humor in the US version, Michael Scott was a big time proponent of the "That's what she said" joke, as well as plenty of other adult humor or just silly humor. It's a fun show.

The first 6 episodes of US The Office are kind've slow, but once you get past those, it's like the show quality goes from 5/10 to 10/10, it's amazing.
It's interesting that you say that the first few episodes are slow, since I hadn't thought of them that way. I'll have to consciously compare them with later episodes to really get what you mean, though I can imagine that being the case, as it seems it's common with any show (or any piece of media, really) to be slower at the start.
@Cherry-Chan Just like how you're saying you're going to take a look at the U.S. version was how I was feeling about the U.K. version. For some reason, I felt like I hadn't seen it, which seemed strange to me because of how often I happen upon related material and trivia about things I like. After giving it some thought, I realized that I do know about the U.K. version. Haven't watched it though, looking forward to it.

Ratings
As much as I would love to say that I enjoyed the UK version of The Office more than the US version, I can't. Ricky Gervais is a gem and does a wonderful job in everything he does but I think Steve Carell did a better job. Of course Gervais didn't have nearly as much time to develop his character. I agree with @Zack T, Michael Scott was a lot more likable. I think that's true for most of the characters.