Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Did Triple H deserve his push?

Dante Spears

It's no secret that HHH get's a lot of heat for keeping down the roster. I mean he was basically world champion for the first 5 years of the 2000's, and he still gets World Championships to this day. My question is, did he deserve it?
I mean, look at his return video from his first quad injury the place goes crazy in one of the loudest reactions I've ever heard. But was he really the best man to become the face of the company when The Rock, Stone Cold and Foley left? Or did he sleep his way to the top? Was there someone else that was better suited to take over the top man position that was cast to the side in order for HHH to have his run at the top?

Da Showstoppa

Absolutely. Triple H took all the fallout of the Curtain Call and proved his character to Vince to the extent that he allowed Stephanie to begin a relationship with Triple H. As a heel he was the perfect foil to Austin and the Rock. So he'd proved his work ethic and his effectiveness - thus you wold have to push him.

Also I would find it impossible to argue that Triple H from 1999 - 2001 was not the best heel in wrestling at that time. His second push was also justified by the incredible heat generated by his return from the quad tear (although it did subsequently limit his moveset)

I know a lot of people on the internet believe Triple H is the Anti Christ and only married Stephanie for political gain, but I think that's bull spit.

Triple H would have been the star he is today, with or without his marriage to Stephanie. I find it reprehensible that he cops so much flack because of who he fell in love with.

Dave7g

Triple H would have been the star he is today, with or without his marriage to Stephanie. I find it reprehensible that he cops so much flack because of who he fell in love with.
Absolute rubbish. He's positioned himself perfectly where he wants himself at all times. He doesn't just get flack from the internet, he gets it from every wrestler he's ever worked with when they leave the company when they have nothing to gain by licking his arse anymore. There's been interviews with former writers from WWE that tell the same story.

He's a far worse offender than Verne Gagne ever was.

etz

As much as I despise all the backstage politicking and the way he buries people, it is very hard to deny that he earned his spot, fair and square. How he's kept it is another issue entirely.

From a wrestling point of view, HHH can still go, and when he wants to, he can be one of the best storytellers working in wrestling today. He gets by in cruise mode most of the time though.

Jung

He earned his spot fair and square and in 2000-2001 was the best worker in the world IMO.

However since his various returns from injury he's never been the same. He's had great stuff with HBK, Orton, Cena but we are now talking 10 years of him being in the same position, dominating shows.

Unfortunately he's now in this position where he's seemingly positioned as their number 1 guy, often above Cena (watch the intro to all WWE programme, he was the guy on last for the entire decade yet he's never their biggest star) and he's always pushed as superior to pretty much everybody. Never ever booked to look weak, rarely loses and always looks strong and dominant over absolutely everybody.

It just means he's got absolutely nowhere to go. I certainly don't believe he's the guy to lead the company into the future as I'd place money he'd continue to position the company around himself until he's in his 50's.

So yeah you can't argue he didn't deserve to get to the top. But now he's incredibly stale, adds very little to the top line and doesn't draw and 3/4 of the time just phones it in, even though you know he can do better.

It seems he's more concerned with being on top than actually delivering continous great matches and promos to justify that spot. And that's an issue, albeit a small one in the thousands WWE need to sort out.

JC

Did Triple H deserve a push? (To begin with I assume this means)

Yes. They were sorely lacking a good main event heel around mid 1999 and he ticked the most boxes. When he won the first World Title he instantly became a great foe for Austin and The Rock and when he went on his..2nd run(?) after beating Big Show on RAW he was probably the best worker in the wrestling industry at that point. Having great matches with Cactus Jack and The Rock with a high sense of credibility with the World Title.

How he kept people down is up for debate as far as I'm concerned. I've never seen anyone who people claim 'Triple H buried him' and thought 'Yeah, he could have been something.' RVD etc..I don't think you need blame Triple H for wrestlers like that not becoming huge stars.

Has his marriage with Stephanie helped?

I'm sure it has but considering the amount of times he has done the job at Mania recently, this idea that he's invincible is pretty old.

Ex-Wrestlers always mention his personality being poor which I couldn't care less about. If he's a dick backstage, so be it. It's hardly like he's the only one with a bad attitude in wrestling. It's all opinions anyway, hell he might just be insecure about himself or perhaps he is very dedicated to the business his father in law runs and feels he is one of the better people to make decisions. I'm not saying he's right or wrong for doing what he does but it's bugger all to do with us.

The other thing is the 'power' issue. Which quite frankly I laugh when people point the blame at Triple H for that. I mean..every single wrestler on the roster would use 'power' backstage if they had it.

etz

I should clarify what I mean about HHH burying people. He verbally buried Jericho repeatedly all through that little feud over the tag titles. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say burying people, not holding them back. It's petty, vindictive and just not nice, necessary or professional.

Let's face it, if you were going to make it anyway, one bad match with HHH being a dick to work with is unlikely to stop you.

Jimmy Redman

I dont think anyone could argue convincingly that HHH didnt deserve his main event push in the first place.

In terms of keeping it, it depends how you look at it. On one hand, he's a good main event-level worker, he's over, and he's always around. On the other, he's given himself the greatest opportunity to work on a main event level and to get over.

I agree with what Jung was saying, its not so much that he's in the main event, its that he's always positioned as a guy on his own level, above even all the other main eventers. He's untouchable, he gets to do the "shoot" comments, he buries guys in promos because its "funny", he's always going over and winning the world title, he's allowed to dominate guys (guys he shouldnt dominate like, say, Jeff Hardy) like he's in a league of his own, he always beats guys 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 and so forth.

There's absolutely no reason for HHH to be the top guy anymore, and if you look at it he's not often booked to be THE top guy, so there's no reason to write him and protect him as if he is the top guy, you know?

Nemesis Enforcer

From a strictly business point of view the top guy should be the one putting most bums in seats, selling most merch and getting the most PPV buys and HHH in 2010 isn't that guy.

I fully agree that he deserved the initial push but its like has been said several times now, in the last few years he has kept that position, even above the champion, as top guy in the company when he really had done not much to warrent it when you consider Cena is a much bigger name in mainstream terms and is much more likely to add new viwers then HHH is.

Fiona

Nem is spot on, HHH isn't the guy in 2010 putting the people in the seats. Is he popular, yes, did he deserve his initial push, of course. The reason he gets top billing and all the rewards he gets is simple. He's married to the boss's daughter and she's next in line to inherit the throne, now that Shane's gone.