Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Determining The Value Of Painting

Revenger

Many paintings become very valuable after the painter has died. I pity the painters because some of them were poor while they were alive because their paintings were not seen as valuable. So how do we determine the value of a painting?

Zack T

Heck if I know, I've never understood it. I can understand commission work and creating art for projects - There's some kind of quantifiable way to determine cost. Materials, time, skill, complexity, stuff like that.

But when we're talking about stuff artists make just because that's what they wanted to make, then it's 100% subjective at that point and you lose me. I have no idea why stuff is worth what it is.

I guess the answer simply is "It's worth whatever someone will pay for it".

Revenger

I guess you are right about the worth of a painting is determined by how much someone will pay for it. The mystery for me is that the value of a painting will skyrocket once the painter has died.

Meerkat

The death of the painter raises the value of the paintings, maybe because the painter's style cannot be replicated. The rules and the styles of painting may be done by other artists, but the thought of the painter cannot be replicated.