Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Dangerous Documentary

I love watching nature documentaries. However, I wonder how the producers and the cameramen take the dangerous shots. For example, filming underwater in the Arctic and the Antarctic Oceans. Come to think of it, Steve Irwin was killed accidentally while filming with a stingray.

didge

It takes a lot to film a documentary and it is unfortunate that Irwin had to die in such a way. Filming underwater seems dangerous but my guess is that over the years, a lot has been done to make it safer for filmers. Also, earlier cameras seemed to have a problem with low light levels but modern improvements have made underwater videography easy. It would be nice to hear of how safety concerns are normally addressed, especially when a photographer/videographer has to get so close to the subject.

Meerkat

It begs the question, how do these filmmakers profit in documenting dangerous places? I wonder if there is an insurance company that will ensure them because their job is prone to injury or even death.

In my understanding, governments or big corporations will give grants to these people who document nature. Whatever they have documented will be credited and owned by the one who gave the grant. So they are paid in advance if my understanding is correct.