Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Chris Moyles' on-air rant

Phil

anybody heard it? Apparently he hasn't been paid since July (a whole 1 month) due to administrative errors, so he decided the best thing to do was to go on a half hour tirade on his breakfast show this morning.

the story and a 6 minute excerpt of the broadcast are here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/22/chris-moyles-rant-radio-1

I only managed to listen to 3 minutes of it before having to turn it off. He sounds like such a whiny baby. Don't get me wrong, I've been in a position where I was paid less than I should have been, but it got sorted, and I just had to be patient. He's not been paid for August, there's a chance it's only been a day or so since he should have been paid for September. He earns around £400,000 a year! Fine, complain about not being paid, but complain to the BBC, don't take it on the air. Even his production staff say they've had similar problems, and they don't get sll whiney about it.

I don't like Chris Moyles anyway, but this has just made me hate him even more. Way to make yourself look like a massive tw*t Chris.

Jung

I think the issue I have with it is just how long he complained about it for. He didn't play a song till 7am and this rant went on for about half an hour.

Ultimately you were thinking (and people texted in to say), yeah I see why you're angry Chris but we understood that after about 1 minute, do we need another 29 of you're wasting of show time whining?

It just came across as a mass level of self-importance to complain for that amount of time on a show which thousands of people tune into because they like the fun, music and style of it. Sure complain for 2 minutes and say how peed off you are but for 30 mins with no music till 7am just screams of a baby throwing his toys out the pram and not realising that the people he's taking out his frustration on is his audience, not the BBC admin department.

Saz

I heard it was more like two months without pay and to be honest, he does a job of entertaining people in the morning, if he's not paid for that job then he has all the right to complain via his job.

Regardless of who he is and how he did it, his complaint is that the BBC have not dealt with the issue at all and have treated him like he's a second class citizen, he quoted, quite rightly that no one would stand for Terry Wogan or Chris Evans to be even a day late.

Pay him his bloody money BBC!

JC

Don't particulary find Chris Moyles funny or witty whatsoever personally. However I guess he's well within his rights to spit the dummy out in some capacity for the not being paid.

On-air though? Childish without question.

Jung

Moyles never plays music before 7am. No one wants to hear a song interrupt the flow of the opening monologue. He used to play one or two at 6.55am to lead into the news but it was stupid so they moved the song back to around 7.10am where it makes more sense.

Also, he didn't complain for 30 minutes; the newspaper grossly exaggerated. It went no longer than half of that, which in my opinion was too short. Stern used to go longer, sometimes up to an hour on the same subject. Chris sadly can't get away with stuff that long, so 15 minutes was actually quite good considering.
I read it on the BBC website, who said 25 minutes and if they're exaggerating that would seem a little odd.

Either way 15 minutes is still too long. Sure Howard Stern does it longer, but so? He isn't Howard Stern and I just think he took his grievances (which admittedly are completely justified) on the wrong people. The fact fans of his show were actually texting in to say basically yeah ok move on Chris, shows he was taking it out on the wrong people and that's when it clearly becomes childish and ill-advised.

If he wanted to say it, spend 3-4 minutes having a big rant and getting his points in. But going 15, 25 whatever many minutes on and on achieving nothing that wasn't said after the first minute just smacks of him really pissing on his on shoes.

etz

He should have showed up, ranted for 5 minutes, then sat there and done NOTHING but play music nonstop, without any song intros or anything. Or, if he had to intro the songs, done his best impression of Tony Blackburn on every single song intro.

Personally, I'd be sick a few times a week until it's sorted, or just refuse to work because they've violated the contract (late payment is a generally a contractual violation), forcing them into new negotiations.

DC

Chris has the power to get away with it because Radio One would go to complete sh*t without him and, to a lesser extent, Scott Mills.
I listen to Chris on the way to work and Mills on the way home and both are brilliant. I used to think Moyles was nothing more than a loud fat pr*ck, but then I started listening to his show (at first, that was because it was the only station my phone could pick up in the Welsh valleys) and really got into it and the whole team dynamic they have going on.

Oh, and Rob DJ's Monday Night Pub Quiz (Tuesday mornings) is my weekly highlight.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
[youtube]ySSreHakHFE[/youtube]

A.C.

Best on-air meltdown I remember hearing was Danny Baker aaaaages ago on his Radio One Sunday show. They used to to the trail lottery - having eight BBC trails to play throughout the show they'd pick 1-8 to see which one they played next.

Anyways, it was near Rememberence Sunday and the first or second ad was for a BBC 2 programme questioning the relevance of remembering the war and whatnot in "today's" modern age.

Baker went mental. Real righteous indignation, and quite rightly so. He had a rant and then just played music for the remaining couple of hours.

'Twas great. :)

DC

Perhaps your weekly highlights might include your wife a little bit? :eyebrows:
She's my daily highlight.

EDIT - I've just asked her and she's right, Rob DJ isn't my highlight of the week (although it's a close second), that honour belongs to the one and only MCFLYDAY!!!

Last edited: