Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Checking if your earphones are too loud

jack25

Naturally, we love to crank up the volume for various reasons. How do you determine the recommended listening volumes? A friend suggested the ringing test, but I didn't find this straightforward. What I often do hold the headphones in front of me at an arm's length (at my preferred volume). If I can hear the music clearly, then I will keep turning down the volume.

Boomer

I want to save my hearing for as long as possible, so I prefer lower volumes. As long as I can figure out the singer's or speaker's words, I'm okay.

jack25

I want to save my hearing for as long as possible, so I prefer lower volumes. As long as I can figure out the singer's or speaker's words, I'm okay.
The reality is that most people never realize that listening to anything at higher volumes could damage the ears. In my opinion, investing in a good pair of headphones could also help.

coleman

I don't use a specific formula to determine the listening volume because it is easy to tell when the music is loud. It also depends on the quality and type of music. Quality headphones will let you listen to anything at low volumes.

Pluto

That's impossible when you're in a very noisy place. Once you return to somewhere quiet, you'll realize just how loud it actually is.

I try not to go over five blocks of volume while listening to anything on my iPhone, but it's hard to control when, say, you're in an airplane. I really should start looking for noise-cancellation earphones. Why do they have to be so expensive?