Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Can You Limit Yourself?

TynBox

Ratings
Whether you're gaming or watching the telly, are you able to set a time limit for yourself and stick to it?

If not, do you think that is one sign of screen addiction?

Ratings
I can limit myself to a degree. If I'm on a Netflix spree with one season after another, it's hard to find the energy to do much else. I wouldn't call it an addiction so long as my work gets done, my cat is fed, and my place isn't a mess.

Ratings
Definitely can't. I've tried after I spent a whole week laying in bed watching movies, but I felt like I accomplished something by watching 3-4 movies each day. I'm often the type of person who wants immediate satisfaction, so if I want to see something or play something, I'll go for it and not stop until I'm satisfied.

Ratings
When I'm playing games? Hardly ever.

I'm better with the telly though. If a show really grabs my attention and is fast-paced then I probably won't be able to stop. Of course it depends on if I limited myself because I have something I need to do or just because I think it'd be good for me. I won't stop for the latter but I will for the former. However if it's a mystery show then I'll probably end up reading spoilers because I hate not knowing things. I don't know if I have a screen addiction but maybe more of a story addiction...or perhaps that's the screen addict in me trying to deny my problems.

Ratings
I am ok about limiting my viewing on the telly. I decide I want to watch a programme, I watch it, and that's it. Off goes the telly and I go and do something else.

However I am seriously wondering if I have a bit of a smartphone addiction. I pick it up just to check something, like an appointment, and next thing I know it's like half an hour later. I read the news, go on Twitter, facebook, Rightmove, whatever. I become totally absorbed and the time just passes.