Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan: Sacked or Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H}{H-Evolution

"WWE has come to terms on the release of NXT first season rookie Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson) as of today June 11, 2010. We wish Daniel Bryan the best in all future endeavors."
Lolwut?

Fiona

Well there's Dixie Carter's surprise. Damm you WWE for spoiling it.:lol:

EDIT: Shaolin will be in tears over Danielson's release.

Last edited:

H}{H-Evolution

Meltzer IS stating that it's both a false firing and that this is the first time the site's been used for the purpose of something like this...not sure how true this is, but it may be a good sign.

ShaolinHandLock

Not so fast there.....

UPDATE x2: According to Dave Meltzer, the word within WWE is that the firing of Bryan Danielson is a legit firing. All of the higher ups within WWE were informed of the firing before the item was posted on WWE.com. Meltzer notes that while the timing of the release is interesting, that working Donna Goldsmith and Michelle Wilson on a wrestling angle is hard to believe.
Credit: 411mania.com/wrestling

If this is true, then the WWE is run by a bunch of fools. I guess the upside is that he could always go back to ROH though.

On the subject of PAC, I wouldn't mind seeing him in TNA, but I don't see it happening. He wrestles in Japan and other overseas countries alot, and going to TNA would screw up those tours.....

On the subject of Kenny Omega, I don't see it happening. The main reason that he hasn't had a big, consistent push in ROH is that he's focused on his Japanese wrestling career.....

On the subject of Dave Mastiff, I haven't seen him wrestle, but I know he's a big guy.....

Last edited:

H}{H-Evolution

Rats. Guess the WWE Crapped all over the fans opinion on that one...XD;

This could bite 'em in the ass later on if it's legit - Danielson was a talented guy, and in their current state, they need more of those. I hope information is divulged about this soon, since there really should be some logical reason WHY this happened, and why now?

Paul

Meltzer is now saying:

The people who needed to know were told that Bryan Danielson was fired for choking ring announcer Justin Roberts with his tie during the angle on Monday night. That shot was edited from replays of the show. It's not known why this would lead to someone getting fired and from all accounts, Danielson was described as the type of person you want a dressing room filled with.

The choking with a tie was described as being too violent for what is allowed on WWE television.

The Icon

Fired already!

This is a message from WWE.com to the internet community. "Screw you, B.D. is not a super worker, in fact he can't work at all. We gave him a chance and he showed us nothing."

This is a message from me. The WWE dream is often a nightmare.

Last edited:

The Beltster

I hope he's fired and turns up in TNA. I would imagine its a work though, regardless of what Meltzer is saying. He might just show up on TV as Bryan Danielson.

Jung

If this isn't work (which you'd think surely must be) then this is absolutely baffling.

Just when you think the people in charge of WWE can't get any dumber, this happens.

Anyone would think they don't want aggression on a wrestling show?

That's like saying you don't want the football being kicked hard in football.

MastersGonads

I think its legit. The strangling of the Justin Roberts with his tie was edited from all UK programming by the WWE, so what Meltzer posted seems very likely to be correct.

From the whole ending of Raw the close up shot of Roberts being strangled was the one thing that would have posed problems for both late night and daytime viewing, so with the WWE now being PG...I can see why there would be heat on Danielson

Jung

WWE is barely PG it's more becoming U.

I mean how is worked strangling a man worse than hitting somebody with a trashcan?

Seriously it's ridiculous how they are basically saying with this "we can't possibly have aggression or violence in wrestling". I mean how is fake strangling somebody worse than ladder shots, trashcan shots heck Orton's punt!

Jimmy Redman

I mean how is worked strangling a man worse than hitting somebody with a trashcan?

Seriously it's ridiculous how they are basically saying with this "we can't possibly have aggression or violence in wrestling". I mean how is fake strangling somebody worse than ladder shots, trashcan shots heck Orton's punt!
Umm, it wasnt exactly a worked strangling.

Jung

Ok it was fairly aggressive sure but it's still worked cause it wasn't like Roberts was going to die here and how is that worse than Orton destroying Swagger with a trashcan?

Both are uber aggressive, look pretty nasty and harmful.

And in more simple terms how is one fine and the other an apparent firing offence?

Last edited:

MastersGonads

As I said, the strangling was the only thing in that final segment that would have raised alarms for International Broadcasters and regulators watching the show...mainly due to how close the camera was, I thought at the time this was a little graphic for some audiences

In terms of the final segment in regulators eyes the agression to WWE employees, like seen to Striker, King, the referee, who were all punched or kicked would have been fine, then there is graphic shots of strangulation to someone who is not an on screen personality...

Ok it was fairly aggressive sure but it's still worked cause it wasn't like Roberts was going to die here and how is that worse than Orton destroying Swagger with a trashcan?

Both are uber aggressive, look pretty nasty and harmful.

And in more simple terms how is one fine and the other an apparent firing offence?
But it was still an extreme graphic close up of someone being strangled...

The crux of this from a regulators perspective in the UK for daytime programming, would be that Orton and Swagger are experienced workers, on screen protagonists, in an improvised angle while Roberts is not....

And for the record, any trash can shots would have been covered with a crowd cutaway for daytime viewing anyway...as was Orton's punts...

Its the same with what can be show in ring and within the ring area, and then what can be seen when wrestlers are fighting in the crowd or in the backstage area...

I dont disagree that the boundaries are very grey and slight, but the WWE obviously felt that under the PG rating, this was beyong what is acceptable for that rating, and I tend with my experience to agree with them.

On your last point, all I can think of, is that this wasnt agreed with Roberts and WWE hierachy obviously felt that Danielson went too far on someone who technically is not a wrestler..

Last edited:

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
Didn't Heath Slater try and strangle Cena with the busted ring rope on camera though?

The Beltster

Yes it was, of course it was! What, do you think he was shoot strangling him?! :lol:

People (as in the censors), as usual, are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Wrestling is a work for f*ck sake, those same censors who cry about it are the first people to have a laugh and a piss take and call wrestling fake.

What a joke.

Last edited:

MastersGonads

Yes it was, of course it was! What, do you think he was shoot strangling him?! :lol:

People (as in the censors), as usual, are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Wrestling is a work for f*ck sake, those same censors who cry about it are the first people to have a laugh and a piss take and call wrestling fake.

What a joke.
I dont think he was shoot strangling him, but I dont think it was scripted per se or certainly not with the close up on camera. It simply wouldn't have been edited out of all shows if the powers that be were happy with it.

As for censors like OFCOM in the UK, Uh huh, they always go overboard, its because they themselves are goverment regulated. It only takes one child to recreate the strangling on his younger brother after watching it at 9am on a Saturday morning, and there is a public outcry and both Sky Sports are in trouble for showing it and OFCOM for not regulating it, by the Goverment who want to cover there own backs...

Didn't Heath Slater try and strangle Cena with the busted ring rope on camera though?
Yes, but there wasn't an extreme close up, Cena would be considered as I said above as a wrestler and an on screen personality when Roberts isnt and thirdly it took place in the ring. Its another grey area as I mentioned what is allowed in ring, in the ring area, in the arena, backstage...

Last edited:

Paul

Rumour has it that the tie choke was complained about by Mattel (who do the WWE toys) and so Vince fired him to keep them sweet, BUT plans are being made to bring him back already once its blown over.

Probably bollocks, you know what the wrestling rumourmill is like.

Sparrow

So Bryan is getting cut because of something he was told to do? This is Muhammad Hassan all over again. You think they would learn from their mistakes when they got rid of him.

Last edited:

The Beltster

I dont think he was shoot strangling him, but I dont think it was scripted per se or certainly not with the close up on camera. It simply wouldn't have been edited out of all shows if the powers that be were happy with it.

As for censors like OFCOM in the UK, Uh huh, they always go overboard, its because they themselves are goverment regulated. It only takes one child to recreate the strangling on his younger brother after watching it at 9am on a Saturday morning, and there is a public outcry and both Sky Sports are in trouble for showing it and OFCOM for not regulating it, by the Goverment who want to cover there own backs...
So to be fair to Bryan, the camera man should be fired too...if he didnt zoom in (due to the directors instruction, no less!), this wouldnt be an issue.

And while I understand the people copying it at home bit, if a kid punts his brother in the head, powerbombs him, hits him with a chair or anything else, its just as dangerous.

I think this is a ridiculous, over-the-top reaction by WWE and anybody else who agree's with it. Its stupid, there is no defense for this firing for the reason given. You cant fire somebody for working a choke on a show which is built on worked fighting, most of which is 100x worse than a 2 second worked choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.