Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Boomers' stuff vs. our stuff

Snarky-Guru

I've been helping some family members and neighbours sort their stuff. I've noticed that you could venture into any Boomer's home and you'll likely find at least one of these three things:
1. A display case filled with little knick-knacks. Some people even have more than one.
2. A set of encyclopedias.
3. A few professionally made family photos that are hung on the wall.

I don't know a soul in my generation who owns any of those things. I think technology replaced the need for professional family portraits and encyclopedias, while knick-knacks just fell out of favour. What other noticeable differences are there between their stuff and our stuff?

Zack T

This might be more of a Age thing than a specificially Boomer thing, but having lots of random tools for just about any purpose. But again, that could simply be more to do with gradually acquiring lots of things as life progresses.

Checks is one possibility. I've very rarely ever used checks in my life. I have ordered a checkbook in the past, I used it solely to pay rent. That was 13 years ago, though. Haven't ordered checks before or after that.

headrush

Stacks of old magazines, files of paid bills, and collections of videotapes and snail mail. Whatever announces that the owner is mostly or completely offline.

Perhaps it's just common in my family, but every home with 50+ aged residents has at least one dead animal incorporated into the decor, whether it's a deer head on the wall or a bearskin rug on the floor. Thankfully, those have fallen out of fashion.