Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Best Sci-fi

Latino Reheat

I have quite a long list of my favourites -

Star Wars series, Pitch Black, Aliens, Predator, X-men, Fifth Element, The Matrix, Dark City, Dune, Mars Attacks, Spawn, Waterworld and Death Race 2000.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Hi,

I quite like sci-fi too.

Favourites on TV/Sky are: Farscape and Stargate.

I've seen most of the films you mentioned - not Pitch Black, Dune or Death Race.

Out of those 3 which would you recommend?

Latino Reheat

I really wish George Lucas would come to his senses and change the name to -
Episode 2 - The Clone Wars.

Latino Reheat

ooh Kam tough one, each has it's own qualities -

Pitch Black - The newest of the three (2000).
Stars Vin Diesel and Claudia Black (farscape)
Premise - While travelling in cryo sleep, a commercial flight passes through a meteor ring of a local planet, waking everyone prematurely, the ship is forced to land on a desert planet. The problem isn't lack of water and food, or the escaped convict whos broken free from the ship, but the oncoming eclipse that brings a hungry foe.

Dune - Made 1984, stars Patrick Stewart from Star Trek.
This film is reminiscent to Star Wars - deep story, about the feud of two races, battling over a planet known as Arrakis, where a rare substance is found, that allows travel to anypoint in the universe.
Directed by David Lynch - so it's very surreal and sometimes hard to follow.

Death Race 2000 - made in the late 70's, stars Sly Stallone, I believe this was his first film.
Premise - The near future, where a cross America race is the most popular event in the world. Strange characters enter with even stranger looking cars. The rules? Get to the finish as fast as you can, running civilians over gets you extra points.....

I would Recommend Pitch Black, well acted and suprisingly not too gory.

Just watched Blade, now that was a fantastic film !!

H

HoganFan

Wasn't Men In Black slightly disappointing? Star Wars was total kick-ass, X-Men coulda been better. The Star Trek movies are great too, especially Generations, Kirk and Picard together.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
thx for that Lat.

Did anyone see the Dugeons and Dragons movie? I thought it was ok.

My memory sucks. The only Star Wars film I can remember was the latest one out. I thought to myself, I'll watch all the prequels, then I'll watch the old ones again :)

Latino Reheat

Thats a good idea kam, wait until 2 and 3 come out, then watch the old ones. I couldn't wait and got the special edition trilogy box a few years ago.

If you get Pitch Black on video, make sure it's the directors cut, if you get the DVD it doesn't matter what version you have.

I have the DVD version, I put the commentary on (Director and two cast members). One bit cracked me up - One scene where the female lead is investigating a tunnel, the camera shot is inside the tunnel, showing her clevage. As this happens the director says - "Young boys everywhere, your welcome!" :D

Latino Reheat

I'm glad Stargate SG-1 is back on sunday afternoons.

Just watched, not a bad film, but not heaped with excitement.

Don't forget my anime movies, very sci-fi.

Best sci-fi TV programs - Red Dwarf, Farscape, star trek voyager and the outer limits. I used to like the X-files, but now I, err...don't.