Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Best In-Ring Psychology?

AustinMark316

Forget promos, In-Ring Psychology, in your opinion who is the best in the business at it? In other words who can tell the best story going into a match? Who makes the most sense when your watching them? Who for some strange reason gets you hooked watching there matches?

For me there are a few contenders, my personal favourite is Jake 'The Snake' Roberts to me one of the best in the business inside the ring, he may not have been the best wrestler in the world, but everything he did made sense, as said by my main man Stone Cold himself lol. ;) The way he presented himself, the facial expressions, his movements, why he did certain moves etc. For some reason he just draws your attention.

A couple of others who are up in the list are Shawn Michaels, Triple H (Hate him or love him lol)

What do you lot think? Just thought it would be interesting to see other peoples points of view and what attracts them to a match

Last edited:

Shampy

Kane allways makes me want to watch his matches and so do kurt(except the hole i wanna have sex with your wife saga) and AJ

TheHawk

Well to mention someone likely not to be mentioned by someone else, i would pick Samoa Joe, he is one of the greatest storytellers i wrestling at the moment IMO. In proff of that look at his series with Punk and lately his match against Joe Lethal at Manhatten Mayhem.

Paul

Benoit, doesnt matter if hes losing or winning he can make everything look perfect in ring! From working on a body part to rage at being hurt this guy can go.

JC

Jake Roberts. Bret Hart. HBK. Mick Foley. Raven. Kurt Angle. Chris Benoit. The Rock. Chris Jericho. Samoe Joe. Kane & Undertaker. Christian. Sting. CM Punk and The Sandman.

There's obviously more but those stick out in my eyes.

Last edited:

Chris2K

HBK is dreadful at psychology if his back has been worked on. As soon as he nips up, it's as if he's not even taken so much as a punch to his back, and he's moving around perfectly well.

Benoit however, is god.

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Benoit and Bret Hart...

Michaels can sell but sometimes he forgets the psycology of the match... Niping up in a match where your back (which is your weakness) has been worked on is stupid and defies the rules...

Also he killed the Ankle Lock at Mania by staying in it for ages after repeated spells in it before finally tapping... Then he got up and walked out under his own power after getting his heat back by waiting for a standing 'O'...

Benoit and Hart though rule... I once saw Hart sell four injuries perfectly and get the approach right to all his moves and the elements of the match because of it...

Jung

Yeah I have to say I always enjoyed Bret Hart's psychology. Same with Jake Roberts, and also can't forget Flair.

The Beltster

Nobody can touch Jake Roberts for his mic psychology and his in-ring psychology...he was the master.

Craig

Kane is pretty good at it. So is Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Triple H.

Nash02

jake roberts is #1 for me as well

ric flair, shawn michaels, bret hart, chris benoit, kurt angle and ted dibiase get mention as well from me

Gladiator

Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam, Kane, HHH and Chris Daniels for me

The Rock was pretty good in his day along with Flair, Sting and Bulldog

Dan

TWO Hall of Fame Member
Jake Roberts - Unbeliebale worker when it came to in ring Psychology, probably the best the WWE has ever seen, just everything he does, he seems to do it for a reason.

Ted Dibiase - Very much like Roberts, just so believeable at what he does in the ring, and what he does he always seems to have a method and a reason for doing it.

Ric Flair - Totally excellent at in ring psychology a true master, even more so when he is a heel.

Ricky Steamboat - I think Steamboat is probably one of the best "sellers" of moves any company has ever seen. As a face he was just the total babyface package and his in ring psychology ( in particular when facing Flair & Rude - strong heels) was fantastic, for me, he is one of the best.

The Franchise

Some of the best in ring psycholgy:

1.Jake"The Snake"Roberts

2."Nature Boy" Ric Flair

3.The Rock

4."Stone Cold"Steve Austin

5."American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

6.The Great Muta

7.Raven

8."The Franchise" Shane Douglas

9.HHH

10.Hulk Hogan

11.The Road Warriors

12.Big Van Vader

AustinMark316

Completeley forgot about Ted Dibiase, nice one. Yeh he was a master of In-Ring psychology, close top contender with Jake.

Dan

TWO Hall of Fame Member
The Franchise said:
Some of the best in ring psycholgy:

5."American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Without a doubt Rhodes is great at in ring psychology, he was able capture fans hearts, and I think that is what much of his success is down to, while not the best or even a great in the ring he was able to get "over" with the fans.