Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Been watching wrestling since I was a kid!

TalksAlot

I can tell you how old I am by just saying that my favorite wrestlers were the Funks, Eric Rommel, Rapid Ricky Romero, and Gorgeous George! My mom was totally into wrestling and so I became an expert in the old days. I have watched the new stuff some (not on the regular though) and love it too. Great stuff!

The Icon

I started watching when Hulk Hogan was heel Nuclear Hulk in the 80s. I miss the days of real wrestling. Sick of sports entertainment.

DC

I started watching when Hulk Hogan was heel Nuclear Hulk in the 80s. I miss the days of real wrestling. Sick of sports entertainment.
It was sports-entertainment back then too.

The Icon

It was sports-entertainment back then too.
You obviously don't remember this Hulk gimmick. If you did you would know it was pre 'rock and wrestling' entertainment era. Would have being about 79 to early 81 or something that he was this character. He was called Nuclear Hulk because he had the smoke from a nuclear bomb shaved in his chest.

Last edited:

TPIB

I started watching wrestling when I was six years old (I'm 29 now) when my brother got me hooked on it. My memory is terrible so I don't remember specifically what era that was or who my favorites were at the time. I was WWF through and through. I was aware of WCW's existence but had no interest in their product (I still find WCW boring to this day) as a kid. I used to watch all the wrestling I could; I would watch RAW when I could but I also watched Livewire on Saturdays (or whenever it was on) so I watched the recaps of the shows as well. I only had basic cable as a kid so I didn't even get to see SmackDown until 2001 or so when I discovered I could get SmackDown on my local affiliate using an antenna (though the local affiliate did not always show SmackDown).

I grew up poor but my mom managed to get the money so that I could watch WrestleMania X-Seven at my dad's house (he had DirecTV and we only had basic cable) so that was the first pay-per-view I ever watched live. I watched a lot of the Coliseum videos as a kid too (in fact, I think I have some of the Coliseum VHS tapes in the basement, though I'm not sure if they're the same ones I had as a kid).

So even though I don't remember much about my beginnings as a wrestling fan, I've been a wrestling fan for most of my life. I have not missed a WWE pay-per-view since 2006 (the year we moved into this house and got satellite TV). Before the launch of the WWE Network, I made it a yearly tradition to buy that year's WrestleMania on DVD or Blu-Ray (I believe that trend started in 2005 with WrestleMania 21 because I remember watching that WrestleMania so many times and I did the same with WrestleMania 22).

coleman

I can tell you how old I am by just saying that my favorite wrestlers were the Funks, Eric Rommel, Rapid Ricky Romero, and Gorgeous George! My mom was totally into wrestling and so I became an expert in the old days. I have watched the new stuff some (not on the regular though) and love it too. Great stuff!
I am 90s kid and as much as I cannot recall most of the names, The Undertaker, Triple H and Ric Flair are some of the names that I can't easily forget. I still watch wrestling to date, even though not so often.

TPIB

Up until recently, I watched quite a bit of wrestling but now I just watch the bare minimum (RAW, SmackDown LIVE, and WWE pay-per-views). I haven't watched New Japan since the G1 ended and I probably won't watch again until Wrestle Kingdom 12.

FeelingMyOats

I am from Texas and I am an old one too. I know of the Funks that you are speaking of. Terry Funk was my favorite. Here is a picture of him in 2013. He does some acting too so you might recognize him. Those were the days of great wrestling!

Dustin87

I began watching wrestling in the early 90s before WCW had went live with Nitro. Later on when Nitro did come about in 95 I was getting older and more interested. I watched the WWF also but I was a WCW fan until it went off the air. Through all the good, the bad, the goofy, and whatever else was going on I stuck with them. I started catching ECW late at night after my dad and stepmom had went to bed. I loved the feel and energy of ECW being a smaller promotion. I've always liked rooting for the underdog. My dad got tickets to see WCW in Little Rock, Arkansas about 30 mins away from where I lived. He got ringside seats it was amazing! My dad was a huge Goldberg fan and even had a Goldberg credit card which was funny to me. I was sad when WCW and ECW went off the air and have many fond memories watching those two promotions. I still watch WWE and my wife now has even become a fan. I'll always be a wrestling fan!

jack25

Up until recently, I watched quite a bit of wrestling but now I just watch the bare minimum (RAW, SmackDown LIVE, and WWE pay-per-views). I haven't watched New Japan since the G1 ended and I probably won't watch again until Wrestle Kingdom 12.
I am with you here. Lately, there hasn't been much time at my disposal to keep up with the happenings so I often have to play catch up and watch the matches on YouTube. It is fascinating that the thrill of WWE has never gone away, for most of us!

DC

You obviously don't remember this Hulk gimmick. If you did you would know it was pre 'rock and wrestling' entertainment era. Would have being about 79 to early 81 or something that he was this character. He was called Nuclear Hulk because he had the smoke from a nuclear bomb shaved in his chest.

It was still sports-entertainment, with flamboyant characters and the like. The term itself may not have been coined at this point (Vince hadn't taken over from his dad), but the wrestling had started to move away from the pure-shooter-style of wrestling (40min matches with 30mins of headlocks, etc).