Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Are Pixar film creators depressed?

Poppy

Do you think film creators on Pixar's team are depressed and that explains why all their films take dreadfully sad turns? Are they creating stories as a form of emotional therapy? Are they sadists who secretly enjoy making kids cry? I'm mostly joking, but I went to see Onward and it has profound moments of heartbreak which got me thinking about all their other films. I realized it's a pattern with them. There's lots of humour, but there's also a deep sadness, usually with the main character losing something or someone. Was it always like this or did they up the emotional drama in recent years? Which of Pixar's films do you think had the saddest moments?

Zack T

I think it might be intended as an educational tool, to show the young kids how to deal with profound loss or hardship in a productive way. Show them that bad things happen, but you will be ok eventually if you don't give up.

Snarky-Guru

^I would agree with that, except all their movies have been ridiculously sad recently. Monsters, Inc. wasn't depressing, was it? Not that I remember. Was that their last feel-good film?

Evelyn

The Incredibles franchise and the Cars franchise weren't teary films as far as I remember. Monsters Inc. had a sad scene where Sully had to say goodbye to Boo. It was like a dad saying goodbye to his daughter. My memory is a little fuzzy on all of these to be honest. Up was the most emotionally charged for me. The opening scene had me snivelling.

DandyMandy

If you think about it, most animated films take sad turns. Bambi's mother was shot. Snow White had a stepmother who wanted to murder her. I never thought much about it as a child watching the movies. Maybe that's how it is with kids when it comes to Pixar. They might not have the emotional maturity to know what's going on and why it's hard.

Poppy

@DandyMandy, you know, that's a darn good point. I didn't pick up on the bad parts of films as a kid either. And I guess you're right about most of them having tragic moments. Why include those bits if it doesn't even register with the kiddos though?