Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Are grandparents less interested today?

Snarky-Guru

My mum and dad are excellent parents, but they show little interest in their grandchildren. I find that odd because my nan watched us kids all the time yet my parents refuse to do any childminding for their grandchildren. Several of my mates have mentioned this as well. Grandparents skipping out on watching their grandchildren play sports or attending their school plays. No offers to look after the grandchildren while the young mother goes back to work either. Do you think grandparents are less interested today?

Boomer

I see more grandparents traveling and "living it up" on social media. Maybe they want to enjoy retirement as much as possible, more than ever?

Zack T

I've seen the opposite of this in my life. I think it depends on your culture, a little bit. But more than anything, I think it's personal choice.

ShadowEdge

In my experience, my parents' generation is pretty awful at caretaking in general. They weren't attentive parents, hence why so many of us spent lots of time with our grandparents, and they aren't big on caring for their own elderly parents either, assuming they're still alive that is. So it's not surprising that many have no interest in caring for their grandkids. Caretaking just doesn't seem to be their thing. I know that's not universal, though.

Rambler

Where I live, I see a mix of grandparents living with their kids and grandkids (who they care for often), grandparents who do their own thing only, and others who are somewhere in the middle.

headrush

I agree that it depends on cultural background. I would add personal finances as well, especially in this time of rising rents and home prices.