Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

AI & Work

headrush

Do you think AI could take over your job? In my case, maybe. I often talk to clients online, and robots and software can do this and much of my workload. However, there is a point where there is no substitute for in-person meetings or personal observations. Not for now.

Zack T

I think there's still way too many nuances to just about everything that prevent us from using AI to fill in for humans just yet. But eventually? Yea. Maybe in 50 to 100 years, I'd bet AI will advance enough to allow that. But that'd drastically change the world economy. If we have robots doing more and more work, that means people either find different jobs or just don't work anymore because there's no jobs for them to take. If fewer people work fewer jobs, there's less money flowing in/out of the economy, which screws everything up.

So either AI will lead to us getting rid of currency because currency will be rendered obsolete (After all, we don't need to pay AI and if they do all the work, nobody needs to pay much of anything) OR we'll develop a new economy where you don't personally go to work but instead develop your own AI and train it or program it to do things on your behalf and that's how you earn money.

Or the AI's gain sentience and take over the world. :D

Classified

If AI's gain sentience they are no longer AI. They are human and we are essentially God at that point.

As you said Zack, there are too many nuances involved. If they do take over all jobs, all jobs would be performed with far less quality.

Do you think AI could take over your job? In my case, maybe. I often talk to clients online, and robots and software can do this and much of my workload.
I'd say you have nothing to worry about when it comes to job security because whenever I've chatted with one of those "helpful" customer service bots they've been utterly useless. If they can't handle customer service, I doubt they could muddle through actual client interactions beyond scheduling things.