Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

3-Hour RAW Thanksgiving Discussion Thread - November 23 from Hershey, PA

TPIB

Venue
Giant Center in Hershey, PA

Last week's edition of RAW scored a 3.5 rating, which is up from the previous week's 3.1 number.

Confirmed Matches/Events

RAW Thanksgiving 3-Hour Special

Jesse Ventura To Serve As Guest Host

RAW, SmackDown, & ECW Superstars To Appear

Survivor Series Fallout

Premiere of the Trailer for "The Marine 2"

Last edited:

Dante Spears

So now they're trying to get rid as many possible feuds at once.
They're going to seriously screw up Dolph Ziggler if they keep making him lose.

Last edited:

BostonCrab

The Miz said he was the only one on Raw to win at Survivor Series? huh? Cena won....

edit: maybe he meant in the 5 man tag matches I guess

Last edited:

The GS

...Really? o_O

Sheamus is the best option? Really?
F**k yeah!!!!!!!!! :)
Orton and Kofi will be occupied feuding and DX have had their shot so why not?
We've all been calling out for fresh new matches. Now we've got one and people are complaining?

H}{H-Evolution

I personally was more along the lines of either Cody or Kofi...they have a little more going for them for the most part.
The 1-upmanship for Kofi with having a title shot would have added a whole dimension to the Orton/Kofi feud, but whatever.

But indeed, it is fresh...I'll give them their cookie for that.

The GS

I personally was more along the lines of either Cody or Kofi...they have a little more going for them for the most part.
The 1-upmanship for Kofi with having a title shot would have added a whole dimension to the Orton/Kofi feud, but whatever.

But indeed, it is fresh...I'll give them their cookie for that.
If Kofi won the Batle Royal then the fans wouldn't be able to see the Kofi v Orton match at TLC every single fan wants to see.
I like Cody, but Sheamus just feels fresher and watching the promo after the match, Sheamus did have a Brock like aura about him and the promo actually looked someway legit which is always good.
EDIT: It could be my Irish pride talking, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Sheamus main eventing.

TPIB

I have said this about shows in the past, but RAW felt "off" to me. After thinking about it, I think it has to do with Jesse Ventura's timing with his promos and whatnot.

I know some of you will say that it felt "off" because it was a three-hour RAW, but that was not it.

I think one of the key moments that was a bit weird with the show was Ventura's appearance after Orton attacked Primo. Whether it was the booking or the delivery, it seemed kind of stupid to have Ventura be like "well, I did restrict it to the wrestlers who have never been a World Champion, but who cares? Orton, you're in". That's not an exact quote, but that is pretty much what it came across as to me.

The contract signing portion was kind of "awkward" for lack of a better term. I am sure they will pass it off as a "shocked silence", but the crowd did not seem to care about Ventura's speech or Sheamus' attack in the least. They seemed to care more about Ventura's spiel regarding Cena's role as champion (which I can not disagree with).

I've now concluded that the combination of Ventura and the crowd made this RAW weird and a bit awkward.

Another very "off" portion of the show was the DX/Jericho portion. Pretty much from the time that DX came out to face The Hart Dynasty to the commercial break just felt very "off the rails" to me. DX & Dynasty did not really seem to "click" in that match, but those things happen. With the DX/Jericho interaction, it felt, well, weird. I think Michaels may have been the one responsible for really throwing everything off in that portion.

What I want to know is if Big Show will be able to compete at the TLC event? I will make the prediction and say he will not. I don't know how it will work out, but I can not see Big Show taking part in a TLC Match. Mostly based on size alone. Triple H could pull it off, but Big Show? I don't think so. They could do a DX Vs. Jericho Handicap Match or have Michaels face Jericho. I'm not really sure, but I guess time will tell.

I am starting to wonder if there is a curse on the WWE Unified Tag Team Titles :lol: Edge is injured and gets replaced by Big Show on the team, now it looks like Big Show is injured. Granted, I think Edge's injury was more of an "accident" while Big Show is just kind of big and clumsy :lol:

I also kind of get the feeling that this Big Show injury has caused a bit of chaos in the booking department as it seemed as though they were heading to a DX split last night and then the abrupt semi-comedy ending to it the next night and now a DX/Jeri-Show feud for the tag titles just out of nowhere in an "all at once" fashion.

For the most part, Vince seemed to do damn well on commentary. Ventura did pretty good for a guy who has been out of the wrestling business for quite a while.

Where was Jerry Lawler for the contract signing anyways? Why did Cena say Lawler was "crippled"? Seems a bit insulting, actually. Even more so considering Lawler was fine not too long before that.

I can't believe I almost forgot about the return of Maryse! The best Diva in the WWE today, no doubt. You have got to love Maryse.

I have to ask though- did anyone else feel RAW was kind of awkward (or any of the other descriptions I used)?

Last edited:

Jung

I enjoyed Raw, but I do love Ventura so maybe I'm bias.

I like the idea of pushing new guys, but unless Sheamus pulls out something amazing (and so far he's been incredibly bland IMO) he's gonna fail bigtime, but they'll ignore it and keep pushing him anyway. I mean he's gone from what ECW to barely midcard for a cup of coffee, to main eventer? No wonder the crowd couldn't give 2 sh*ts. You can't just place someone there cause you want to and expect the crowd to instantly take them.

Everything else was fine though to be honest. The comedy was all decent enough and simple and all the matches were alright.

The booking is still ropey. The Cena/HHH/HBK feud begins and ends in a few weeks and then we re-start DX/Jerishow. Seems they are already rushing Taker/Batista (I imagine Rey's injured again) which could be interesting seeing as Dave's a fully fledged heel now and against Taker will actually be booed. Just a bit lazy really. But I really liked Ventura's opening concept and it shows (hopefully) that the writers are realising that they need to try more people.

But while it's a bit lame it's Sheamus being given that chance from nowhere at least it's someone.

StefanC

The reason they pushed Sheamus is obvious.
This guy has impressed everybody in WWE because of what he shows outside of the ring.
He shows up everywhere he can during tv and house shows, even when he is not required to do so.
He is eating, living and breathing WWE 24/7, they moved him to RAW because HHH saw potential in him to become great, and he took him under his wing.

I guess all of that culminated in this #1 contender spot.

And yes, Kofi would have been a good option but he is in a feud with Orton, and the Legacy boys, or at least one of them, will turn on Orton but they have to build that feud first. Maybe it's gonna be a WM feud, who knows.

IMO Sheamus deserves to be the contender for Cena's championship and I can't wait for these guys to get in the ring together, because something tells me Cena is also impressed with this guy.

I am glad WWE finally said ok, we are gonna go with a 'fresh' guy, probably because the fans demand it?

As far as Ventura goes, maybe stuff was a bit off, who cares? I enjoyed this RAW, it's not easy to top a good PPV and a 3 hour RAW is the way to do it.
Except for the diva stuff I liked the matches (I am getting so tired of those diva's, really), and I was actually surprised the Miz did not get into any of the qualifying matches. Even if he is the US champ.
He's the only one that did not get a shot even though he was the only RAW winner on bragging rights and he lead his team to victory at survivor series.

Anyway, I am looking forward to TLC.
I HOPE, I don't think but I HOPE, WWE is gonna take it 1 step further and they will let Sheamus become champ.
Why not?

Remember Orton? He was pretty fresh when he won the WHC the first time, only 2 years in WWE.
What about Lesnar? He wasn't in WWE that long when he became champ, he became the Undisputed Champion after only 5 months on the roster in WWE.
In other words: they did it in the past, they can do it again.

The Beltster

Jesse Ventura should guest host every week, he has amazing charisma and his voice is perfect. I marked the f*ck out when Vince came out to the old SNME music with the little red bowtie on and they sounded EXACTLY like they did 20 years ago on TV, the chemistry was right there. It was incredible, Jesse made the battle royal seem important like he used to do, something Cole and Lawler find impossible. Loved everything about Jesse and Vince together tonight.

Anybody who didnt 'get' Jesse has been raised on this CRAP that WWE has been putting out for too long. Jesse's performance was exactly how pro wrestling should be. Not scripted to sh*t, natural. It was great.

Last edited:

Jung

I'm sorry I know you like Sheamus but lets get some perspective and logic here.

The reason they pushed Sheamus is obvious.
This guy has impressed everybody in WWE because of what he shows outside of the ring.
He shows up everywhere he can during tv and house shows, even when he is not required to do so.
He is eating, living and breathing WWE 24/7, they moved him to RAW because HHH saw potential in him to become great, and he took him under his wing.

I guess all of that culminated in this #1 contender spot.
That's fine, but what does that matter to anybody who's you know watching or buying the product? It's wonderful that he's so dedicated, but if he's a boring wrestler, not great on the mic and shown absolutely sod all to suggest he should be pushed as a main eventer, then what does it matter? The fans obviously have a massive hand in making somebody, heck that's why Kofi's working so well. But listen to them after Sheamus won. Could not have given less of a sh*t. But that's not his fault, it's the fact you can't fastrack someone (and he's been quicker than arguably anybody) and expect people to care.

IMO Sheamus deserves to be the contender for Cena's championship and I can't wait for these guys to get in the ring together, because something tells me Cena is also impressed with this guy.
But why does he deserve it? Think about everyone who watches. He joined ECW in July, pottered around impressing not many. Joined Raw last month, beat a jobber, attacked King and now gets a title shot? That's deserving it?

I HOPE, I don't think but I HOPE, WWE is gonna take it 1 step further and they will let Sheamus become champ.
Why not?
Because the fans would crap all over him because he's not remotely over, has done absolutely nothing so far and as I said you can't force feed someone. I mean if he wins the title it will make the pushing of Rocky Maivia like one of the greatest pushes in history.

Remember Orton? He was pretty fresh when he won the WHC the first time, only 2 years in WWE.
Yeah 2 years! Within that time he'd been IC champ for ages, had a wonderful match with Mick Foley and been a member of the dominant group in WWE. Compare that to Sheamus.

What about Lesnar? He wasn't in WWE that long when he became champ, he became the Undisputed Champion after only 5 months on the roster in WWE.
In other words: they did it in the past, they can do it again.
But Lesnar also destroyed an established tag team, won KOTR and battered Hulk Hogan. What has Sheamus done?

And that's my point. Sure he could be a champ down the line, but you need to earn it on-screen too as well as having the dedication backstage. He needs to be over with the crowd and seen as a threat. So far he's assaulted Jerry Lawler and looked boring in ECW. Honestly you can't compare him in the slightest to Orton or Lesnar.

Fiona

What should have been a great RAW was somewhat bad. The only good thing about last nights show was the guest host and that's saying something.

I agree with TPIB about it being awkward. The crowd was dead for most of the show. I thought they would go nuts when Batista came out, but nothing, Cena got more boo's than he did.

Best part of the show was when Vince and Venture did the commentary, that took me back a few years. Cena'a face said it all during the contract signing. He looked like he couldn't give a shit about facing Sheamus. And speaking of Sheamus, the WWE should invest in a spray tan bottle for him, he's almost fluorescent he's so white. If this is the main event at TLC then will probably give it a miss.

Nemesis Enforcer

My Sky+ fudged up and only recorded the first 31 mins of the show :( there was some sort of fault with the signal according to the message that flashed up before the screen froze and remained that way until the end of the recording so I missed a hell of alot of the show

From the opening I saw with Jesse though he wa son top form and I look forwards to seeing more of him on the Thursday repeat