Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

2018 World Cup

Ratings
Next month we will see the biggest celebrated sports event to kick off. Russia will open the game facing Saudi Arabia on June 14. There aren't many fights to look forward to in the early rounds except Portugal vs Spain and maybe Germany vs Sweden. Who do you think will take the trophy this year?

Ratings
It's difficult to say who will win. I'm not generally that much into footie, but the World Cup does get my interest more.

I think that Germany vs Sweden should be a good game. Germany are strong, but I'm not quite sure where Sweden are in terms of skill.

Ratings
Sweden fought Germany in 2012 if my memory is right. They were going to lose with 0-4, but somehow bounced back and closed the game in a draw (4–4). All happened in the last 30 minutes! That was a crazy game. I don't think Sweden made an impressive record since then, so I wonder how they'll fare against Germany this time.

Hal

Ratings
@North, it's funny how the most action always seems to happen right at the end of the game.

I'm looking forward to the Portugal vs Iran match. I wonder how Carlos Queiroz feels about coaching the Iran national team this time around and going against a team he formerly managed. If anyone knows how to neutralize Ronaldo, I think it'd be him.

Ratings
@Hal People tend to push harder when they are running out of time.

Croatia did a wonderful job while Nigeria had to improve their offense for future games. I thought Brazil and Germany could've performed better. Maybe they did not want to exhaust themselves too early.

At this moment, I think it's still hard to predict who is going to come out as the winner.

Hal

Ratings
@North, that's true. It can sometimes make the rest of the match be a little dull to watch though because at the end it can all seem rather inconsequential. That could just be my obscenely short attention span speaking.

Brazil could have performed better, but I think they're going to end up beating Serbia.

Ratings
@Hal I understand. The field is huge and the time of the game is long, so we can't expect action to happen every minute. It takes patience to watch the games.

Did anyone see the match between South Korea and Germany? Frankly, it was a sad game. This year is just not for Germany. South Korea did not do anything impressive and could still score two goals! A lot of homework for both teams, but I bet it was especially hard for Germany.

chelsea45

Ratings
Soccer isn't exactly my cup of tea, so I only watch England's games. It made me so happy when they won against Colombia through the penalty kicks. We were never this lucky! Sweden is going to be a tough enemy to crack for the quarter-final. I hope for the best, but I am already proud of the men for coming to this far!

Ratings
@HalDid anyone see the match between South Korea and Germany?
I did and I have to agree that it was not a very exciting to watch. The only entertaining part for me is when my 3-year old son asked me about what the players are doing. He asked me why they have to kick the ball instead of sharing it with one another.

Ratings
Sharing? What is this "sharing" you speak of?

That's cute though. Kids say the most honest things sometimes.

I do want to see who wins it all though. I kinda like watching it.

Ratings
@chelsea45 Congratulations for England! It was a good game against Sweden. I wonder if the Swedish players were too exhausted and overwhelmed by the pressure. They played much better in the previous rounds. Best of luck against Croatia!

@Classified Who do you want to win it all? I think the ideal final would be between England and France, but I couldn't predict or decide further than that!

chelsea45

Ratings
@North Thank you. It is unfortunate that we lost to Croatia and Belgium, but I stood by my words that everyone had done amazing for coming this far. France certainly played well in the final match despite the ball being mostly on Croatia's possession. I watched some great games this year; I couldn't help feeling excited about the next event in 2022. Hopefully, England would be able to perform better by then!